The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » My Spikestorm team. Please rate:

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Spikestorm team. Please rate:
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 06-29-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My team consists of:

Forretress (MiracleBerry); Spikes, Explosion, Sandstorm, Toxic
Skarmory (Leftovers); Drill Peck, Whirlwind, Sandstorm, Toxic
Shuckle (Mint Berry); Rest, Sandstorm, Toxic, Protect
Porygon2 (Silph Scope); Recover, Curse, Ice Beam, Tri-Attack
Exeggutor (Pink Bow); Toxic, Leech Seed, Explosion, Giga Drain
Quagsire (Quick Claw); Haze, Sandstorm, Earthquake, Rest

My battle begins with Forretress, and as long as the opponent isn't using something that is known to have fire attacks, I will use Spikes, beginning my strategy. I will then attempt to use Sandstorm and Toxic on the opponent, and then Explode once one falls to the Storm and Poison.

Quagsire is a Hazer, something that is desperately needed to counter most things with Swords Dance or Curse, and has enough power to be able to rest effeciently, while Quick Claw allows it the first move from time to time (It allowed me to attack before an Electrode could Explosion me, once!).

Exeggutor is simply there to annoy a few pokemon before blowing up, with Pink Bow making its Explosion a truly Eggsplosive power.

Shuckle is around to take a hit, with the highest defensive stats in the game, and can successfully Sandstorm and Toxic, dealing damage to the opponent, while staying safe with Protect and Rest (With your Mint Berry strategy, I might add). Since Spikes is in effect, the opponent will also have some tough decisions with switching, as the new pokemon gets hit by both the Spikes, as well as the Sandstorm that is present.

The true power in my team relies upon Skarmory, who is deadly when used correctly. If the opponent is setting up, or is slow or weak, use Sandstorm first, and then start using Whirlwind. With Spikes and Sandstorm, as well as the few poison-damaged pokemon taking Toxic damage, pokemon will lose health very quickly, whereas Skarmory has great Defensive stats, and Leftovers to keep it alive. Once the entire team is weakened, or an odd pokemon is hurt badly enough, I attack it for the Knock Out.

Porygon2 is my 'sweeper' pokemon, who will finish off the remaining members of the opponent's team. It will use Curse a few times, aiding its Defense and Attack stats, and Recover when necessary. It will then attack with Tri-Attack (Tri-Attack instead of Double-Edge because of stat-altering effects, and no recoil), dealing major damage, or Ice Beam with a high Special Attack stat, with Scope Lens causing more Critical Hits, and Recover to heal the pokemon.

Things to notice on my team would be that I am using only one of each item; a Stadium 2 rule that I follow, and that I am using non-standard pokemon, which still work unbelievably well. I have been using the other teams posted on the Pokecenter for a while, and didn't do very well with them, but my recorded record for this team is that I have an 80% win ratio, which I am very proud of. Other notes include that this team uses a new theme, like the Paralysis/Confusion, or the Cursing Snorlax(Curselax)+ MeanLook/Toxic Umbreon. I am able to see how my pokemon will fair, since I made this team myself (Something I have only done once with any competetitive team for Gold/Silver).

The only thoughts of changes to my team would be getting a Roaring Tyranitar in there, but not over Shuckle (That thing can take ANY hit), possibly Ancient Power on Quaggy, or something instead of Tri-Attack on Porygon2.

Any comments? Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Lone Wolf
The last remaining Kai Master.

(Email me at Lander_Z@Hotmail.com)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoHtO TrAiNeR
Farting Nudist
Member # 1777

Member Rated:
posted 06-29-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for JoHtO TrAiNeR   Author's Homepage   Email JoHtO TrAiNeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I've got to say is that you don't need all of those Toxic-users on your team.....maybe switch a couple of moves??

------------------

From: St. Paul, MN,USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 06-29-2001 01:26 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Make the team more anti-Skarmory, and to a lesser extent, Anti-Aerodactyl, as they can both mess with this team considerably.

Let's see...

-They mess with Forretress, and both can deal normal damage, as well as take an explosion.
-Skarmory can't attack back against 'em all that well either.
-Shuckle may ironically be the best option, with those meaty stats.
-Porygon2 has a definite chance, but Ice Beam only does x1 damage to Skarmory. The thing to watch out for as well is Aerodactyl's speed. No TWave means it can score some pretty powerful hits before taking a fall.
-Exeggutor is screwed any way you look at it.
-Quagsire can't do jack to either of them.

Maybe trade out one of Porygon's attacks for TBolt. Not sure which, though. Maybe instead of Curse. If you're doing that, though, it might be a good idea to trade Tri-Attack for Double-Edge.

And you don't need that many Toxics.

------------------
"It looks like this is my lucky day. I'll take 'The Rapists' for 200."
"That's 'Therapists,' not 'The Rapists.'"
-(Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy Skit)

AIM: Nobie20

Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 06-29-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meh, I don't know if I'm stating the obvious, but in the original post, the attachment on Pory2 is Silph Scope (don't worry, I know you meant Scope Lens). I don't know, I got a little laugh out of it.
Anyway, I like the repeated use of Sandstorm, but I think that 4 Toxic users are a bit overdoing it. Maybe you could replace Toxic with Swagger on Shuckle. Confuse the opponent, and you wouldn't care too much to a decrease to only a base 10 attack stat, not to mention you're not using any real attacks on him anyway. Well, hope you like all of these suggestions. I'm outta here.

------------------
Life through the eyes of a workaholic: I love to write reports. What's a "fraternity"? What do you mean they have "fun"? What is this word "fun"? I write reports, now that's "fun".

Life through the eyes of a slacker: What's this piece of paper doing on my door? What does "eviction" mean? Oh well, at least I don't have to clean my apartment out after parties anymore.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 06-30-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
::Kicks hisself for not noticing Silph Scope::

Whoops... maybe that's why Nintendo Power didn't accept my team....

Anyways, the Toxic is the point; People will get Poisoned, and have to contend with Spikes on switch, as well as another attack, and still take 1/8 Poison dmg on the return, as well as 1/8 Spikes.

I've actually battled one team recently with a Skarmory, and man was it awful! He has W-Wind, Steel Wind(Didn't use it much), Drill Peck and Swagger. Nasty bugger, but fell to my eggs using Leech Seed and blowing up, and then Porygon2 Icing it to death.

Paralysis wouldn't work for Pory; Toxic is the main theme.

Aerodactyl... didn't really consider him. I'd just send Eggs against him, probably. Have them Giga 1-2 times, until he W-Winded or took me out, or Explode when needed.

As for Porygon2's Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, I was worried about Ground/Rock or Ground/Steel types. We still see Rhydons and Golems out there, as well as plenty of Steelix. Ice Beam works fine for what it does; Curse is the main purpose.

Porygon2 has had 2 Curses, and then got a lucky CH Tri Attack on Vaporeon who had just spent 3 turns setting up. Bye bye Vap. It has CH a Curselax 3x in a row (Beats me how; It doesn't ever CH when needed).

I may consider using Eggs for something other than Toxic. Leech Seed works well enough on it's own... perhaps Synthesis or some such thing, just for kicks. Or an attack such as Psychic, or a physical Return/Rollout...something. He's mostly fine as is.

As for Shuckle; Here are my tests:

Wrap Shuckle is not good. He dies very fast. MIGHT take 1 out with him.

Swagger Shuckle almost as bad. Still dies much too fast.

My strategy is this: Toxic, Protect, Sandstorm, Protect, (If needed, Rest now), Protect until it fails or damage is taken enough for rest, and repeat until switch or Sandstorm down. He single handedly beat a Ho-Oh with this (Sandstorm beats Sunny Day! Joy!), by biding his time. It was fun.

I already knew Skarmory was my main competition, but I have dealt with it effectively. Aerodactyl is still to be tested.

My team, to date is 18:3 for non tests (Tyranitar, and different Shuckles are tests, as well and Ancient Power Quagsire. Most tests turned out poorly.) I am very proud.

------------------
Lone Wolf
The last remaining Kai Master.

(Email me at Lander_Z@Hotmail.com)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 06-30-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You seem to have neglected the fact that Aero learns Wing Attack.

308 Attack, the 2nd highest speed in the game, STAB, and supereffectiveness make it quite a threat to our good friend Eggy.

------------------
"It looks like this is my lucky day. I'll take 'The Rapists' for 200."
"That's 'Therapists,' not 'The Rapists.'"
-(Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy Skit)

AIM: Nobie20

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-04-2001 03:54 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Get rid of Exeggutor; you have too many Fire weaknesses. Put Polkadot/Pink Bow on Forretress.

I don't like Shuckle much either. His ultra-low HP make his defense a lot weaker than you'd think (he dies in two Starmie Surfs).

I love ToxicSpikeStorm juggling with Skarmory. Adding something else that can Roar/Whirlwind (like Tyranitar) would be good.

------------------
"Thank you for your e-mail. This Internet of yours is a wonderful invention."
-- George W. Bush, to Al Gore

ThumbsOfSteel
Farting Nudist
Member # 1922

Member Rated:
posted 07-04-2001 07:26 AM      Profile for ThumbsOfSteel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, T-tar would be good. Try to give it fire blast just for those Skarmory users. Also, with 4 toxic users, Tri attack's effects wouldn't make much difference. Use double edge or return if he can learn it.

------------------
How to ruin a Snorlax:
@everstone
defense curl
tackle
amnesia
harden

From: Nowhere on a normal map | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.