The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Help me do ROM stuff

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me do ROM stuff
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-16-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to find out which Pokemon can learn the Move Tutor attacks in RuSa (Frenzy Plant, Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, Volt Tackle), but I'm not sure how to go about it. I tried searching in a hex editor for the Pokemon text for known words like BULBASAUR and GROWL, but had no luck.

Can someone get me started on where to look for the data I need? (I'm using Sapphire, if it matters.)

[ 04-22-2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

mleo2003
Farting Nudist
Member # 1618

Member Rated:
posted 04-16-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for mleo2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've got a table file for the new games if you want it. I used it last night to Dump the PokeDex descriptions for both games. Email me at mleo2003@netdoor.com if you want it. Or, if it would be easier, I could just post the contents of the file here.

- - - - -
When life gives you lemons...

Throw them back!!!

From: Forest, Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-17-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I ended up making my own table file. (I'd still like to see yours, since I'm missing some punctuation.) It didn't really help, tough. I was able to find the places in the ROM where Bulbasaur/Frenzy Plant/etc. are named, but I still have no idea where to look for the moves learned tables. Help!

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

pika
Farting Nudist
Member # 1908

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for pika   Author's Homepage   Email pika   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the names have nothing to do with the moves - furthermore breeding moves level up moves and tm moves are a quite different format. I guess move tutor is different again. Could be somewhere near the base stats. At least ethere are a few bytes which seem to be related to pokemon but i coud not figure out what they mean so you might want to try your luck over there (search for basestats in hex and you'll gett to that area... there is allso the gender ratio and that stuff)

- - - - -
"PIKA OF ALL PEOPLE IS THE BIGGEST TWO-FACED ASSHOLE HERE. AS HE ALREADY DEMONSTRATED HE SAID THAT THERE IS A WAY TO MAX OUT ALL STATS COMPLETELY ABOVE 510. WELL DUH...! HOW WOULD HE KNOW THAT IF HE DIDN'T HACK IT HIMSELF?! LOL! PATHETIC!"
TIDUSBLITZABESX

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2003 04:24 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I searched for the base stats and was able to find the place where Pokemon info is stored. The section is 28 bytes long. For example, here's what Bulbasaur's section (located at 1FEBC4 in the ROM) looks like:

2D 31 31 2D 41 41 0C 03 2D 40 00 01 00 00 00 00 1F 14 46 03 01 07 41 00 00 03 00 00

The bytes I've been able to figure out the meanings of are:

00-05h = Base stats
06-07h = Type(s)
08h = Pokeball catch rate
09h = Experience given
10h = Male/Female ratio (lower = more males)
14-15h = Breeding group(s)
16-17h = Trait(s)

I've uploaded the complete hex data for all 386 Pokemon here.

The problem is that none of the fields look like they could contain moves learned data; in fact, most of the unidentified data is all zeroes. (Also notice how no-TM Caterpie isn't much different from all-TM Mew.) It looks like the moves learned data must be stored somewhere else.

Byte 12 is particularly interesting; all the Pokemon are in one of six categories, with somewhat intuitive groupings (Ubers are in one group, Mew/Celebi/Jirachi in another, etc.) but I can't figure out what they represent. (It's not growth rate.)

I tried searching for a couple ways the data might be stored (one bit flag per TM, hex list of learnable TMs), but didn't have any luck. pika, your post implies that you know the format for level up and TM/HM move lists. If so, could you post it?

Anyone with further information, please post!

[ 04-19-2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

- - - - -

pika
Farting Nudist
Member # 1908

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2003 06:20 AM      Profile for pika   Author's Homepage   Email pika   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Breeding moves are like this (if i remember correctly (sorry if it's not I dumped them back when rs was new in jp...))
Moveid 260 -> 104h -> byte flip 0401 (data is always word 255 would be FF00)
search for bulba's first 2 moves and get the result. Not that only low evolutions are listed there.

Level up moves are pretty much the same format however mearged with the level. So If you have 260 again you'll get: 0401 + (level*2) so in case you have lv 0x10 you'll get 0421.

TMs are a 58bit long so you have either true or false for each tm.

And keep me informed if you find the tutor data.

- - - - -
"PIKA OF ALL PEOPLE IS THE BIGGEST TWO-FACED ASSHOLE HERE. AS HE ALREADY DEMONSTRATED HE SAID THAT THERE IS A WAY TO MAX OUT ALL STATS COMPLETELY ABOVE 510. WELL DUH...! HOW WOULD HE KNOW THAT IF HE DIDN'T HACK IT HIMSELF?! LOL! PATHETIC!"
TIDUSBLITZABESX

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Leveling data: 2018B8 -> 203AF5
Breeding data: 20916C -> 209A46

While doing this, I discovered the problem with the extra breeding data that Meowth346 had for Slaking; it's actually Dusclops' breeding moves.

Could you elaborate on the TM/HM format a bit more? I'm lost as to what a "58-bit long" would be...

pika
Farting Nudist
Member # 1908

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for pika   Author's Homepage   Email pika   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
%1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 binary would be mew's tm data each 1 stands for one tm/hm all tms are true in this case

- - - - -
TIDUSBLITZABESX

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I had tried searching for Bulbasaur's TMs in that format, but came up empty. I'll try it again, I guess.

Is the first TM (Focus Punch) at the start of a byte? What about the last six bits (64 - 58 = 6); are they just left blank?

Ooh, new RS ball icon!

mleo2003
Farting Nudist
Member # 1618

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for mleo2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it is still like from GS, just moved.

I found the data. It ended up like this:

And this is for the first Byte of data:

code:
Bit# 76543210
TM # 87654321

and so on...

So basically, the Bit Order is reversed for TM Counting Purposes.

There are 8 bytes for each Pokemon. The last few bits are just 0, so the last byte of any Pokemon's TM Data is going to be 0X, with X only ranging from 0 to 3.

If you don't find it by the time I get home today (about 4:30 CDT), I will post exactly where I found it.

*Edit: Ok, I am at home, so here is the Location, for Sapphire (which is the version the rest of the locations match up with):

TM Moves data: 1FD088 -> 1FDD60

[ 04-22-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: mleo2003 ]

- - - - -

Throw them back!!!

mleo2003
Farting Nudist
Member # 1618

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for mleo2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a question. How is the Attack Data stored? I know that it is not like the old versions, cause a search for that info yields no results. I'd bet that Contest Data is in with it, so that is probably throwing off my searches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- - - - -

Throw them back!!!

l3reakmanx
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2003 02:11 AM      Profile for l3reakmanx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey White Cat, you're the White Cat of SPC fame, aren't you? That was a great show, too bad it never got back on the air...

- - - - -
- l3reakmanx

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm the Pizza Cat guy, although I don't know that I was all that "famous" in that community. [Smile]

It's too bad the newsgroup, mailing list, and chat room all fell apart... [Frown]

- - - - -

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just talked to Meowth346, and apparently Blast Burn etc. aren't learnable in Ruby/Sapphire at all. Just like the Metallics move tutor wasn't in Gold/Silver, we'll have to wait for the Gems equivalent of Crystal (or Stadium 3, or eCards) to get them.

Well, I only spent three weeks on this. But I guess I learned a lot about hex and how data is stored, plus I helped Meowth fix a problem with the Chimecho entry. [Smile]

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 05-07-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is unrelated, but I think the last few (00 03 00 00 in this case) may be related to location data.

If you check, you'll see that only Safari Zone Pokémon have values in the first two digits. Natu is 06, Xatu is 08, etc. Noticed that after I went looking for Berry Master's Wife sayings, to no avail. [Frown] I need Attack, S. Atk and Speed pinch berries quick!

I did find something that looks like TM information the last time I got at this (there are 58 of these odd looking strings, at any rate) but I can't remember what I did to find it and I couldn't make any sense out of it at the time.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.