The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » GBA Action Replay

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GBA Action Replay
Eye Lid
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3264

posted 03-03-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Eye Lid        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a question about the gameshark and action replay (AR).

While I am sure that the AR is the uk counterpart to the gameshark, I am a little confused. I called Datel but they didn't know either and refused to look into it for me. Damn them.

Firstly, the AR is for the gba and, although the pokemon games are for the gbc, is it still okay to use it with pokemon? I hope 'yes' otherwise my money is wasted.

Secondly, some uses of codes involve 'pressing the Gameshark button', but on my AR there are two items which might be described as switches. There is one sliding switch and another that presses in and looks like an LED. Which one would I use?

I fear to try either of the above since I don't want to 'irreparably damage' my games, as it is put in the manual. Are there any UK Sharkers who could give me a helping hand?

By the way, although this is my first post, I am not entirely a n00b. A long time ago, I was a member of this forum as Porkupine and/or Lid (I can't remember, nor can I remember my password for either, and no longer use those email addresses). I didn't really post that much because I didn't have much to say, though.

Thanks in advance.

Lid.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Well, I think that the Action Replay is what happens when you stop licensing with Interact and they keep the rights the Gameshark name.

The only games you can "damage" involve a battery, and the "damage" is corruption of backup data. So find a game it's noncritical if you lose data for (or back up your pkmn game) and try to figure out what the GS button is, if, in fact, that's the case.

Basically if you can type in a GS code and it works, then probably the push button is the GS button.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eye Lid
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3264

posted 03-04-2003 05:42 AM      Profile for Eye Lid        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
The only games you can "damage" involve a battery, and the "damage" is corruption of backup data. So find a game it's noncritical if you lose data for (or back up your pkmn game) and try to figure out what the GS button is, if, in fact, that's the case.

Basically if you can type in a GS code and it works, then probably the push button is the GS button.

How would I go about backing up my pkmn game? Would I need one of those expensive 'mega memory cards' that I vaguely remember.

The code length matches exactly that of the GS codes given in various places, so the codes will fit. I think I will try it on my unused Pokemon Gold cartridge (I recently bought Gold and Silver as they were both going cheap and I had neither) and see what happens. I will try both switches for success.

Also, you say that 'damage' is corruption of the backup data ... does this mean that to repair it, all you would need to do is delete the save game file?

Cheers for your help, cfalcon.

Lid.

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 03-04-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The small button is the AR/GS button. You can't however use GBC games with the AR/GS GBA. You need to use a GBC AR/GS in the GBA if you want to do that.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eye Lid
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3264

posted 03-04-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Eye Lid        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manuel Calavera:
The small button is the AR/GS button. You can't however use GBC games with the AR/GS GBA. You need to use a GBC AR/GS in the GBA if you want to do that.

Oh P*dgeot! I've just gone and wasted £15. How much are GBC ARs these days. Anyone know?

I might just give up on this sharking thing. I only really want to get it so I don't have to search in the grass for a max def/spc Ditto for breeding. They are annoyingly rare and I can't get one with either stat as max (nor have I yet got one with DV 7 for spc).

I'll just keep trying the normal way. I suppose my money isn't entirely wasted. I can now cheat on Mario Kart,...

Cheers Manuel.

Lid

[ 03-04-2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Eye Lid ]

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No problem. If you need any more help with the AR, or if you have any code requests, give us a bell. I'll have a go at trying to help.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You also can modify data (uh, what's cheating [Smile] ) on the new games when they come out, something you'll probably want to do, given the restrictions on what monsters you can catch.

The Megamem cards (which only work on GBC) are way cheap these days.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eye Lid
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3264

posted 03-07-2003 08:07 AM      Profile for Eye Lid        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I thought about that after 'realising' that I had wasted my money. It just means buying the new games, though, something which I wasn't planning on doing.

Also, the GBC Action Replay Xtreme is now only £10 from codejunkies.com (Megamem is £15 from there also), so I could get that. But soon enough, Metallics are going to be mostly redundant (who uses Chromatics except for trading/movesets setup etc, which won't count any more since RS won't be backwardly compatible).

I realised anyway, for my purpose, that I am probably better off digging out my old Blue cartridge and using that to get the Dittos I want. (Also, that way I could just get any RBY pokemon with Def/Spc DVs 15 and use the DV transfer trick with ditto). On trying to do this, I found my brother had taken my Blue and his girlfriend is using it. The git.

Instead of trying for genetically perfect pokemon now though, I think I will just look at some movesets. No doubt I won't come up with anything other than standards, but it should keep me occupied on the bus (the only time I play it). If I want any help, I'll know where to come for it.

Cheers, guys.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.