The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Link cable compatibility GBA/GBC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Link cable compatibility GBA/GBC
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 09-26-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Oddish Memorial Lecture Hall, Uiru says that RS may not be compatible with GSC/RBY.

I'm wondering if this could be because the link cables are incompatible? Maybe it's impossible to program GBA games so they use the GBC link cable? The cables are different, after all.

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 09-26-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, you can stick a GBC game in the GBA, and just use the Game Boy Advance cable to trade...
From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 09-27-2002 10:29 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't think the GBA cable could be used to trade between GBC games.

And I've heard rumors that they're having problems getting a GBA game and a GBC game to recognize each other, or something.
~Uiru- but who cares? I'm looking forward to a world without Curselax.

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 09-27-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've gone between a GBC (with Gold) and my GBA (with Silver) in the past. Now, whether they can fix the problem between GSC and RS(whatever)...

Oh, and Uiru, knowing Pokemon as I do, I'd wager that Snorlax will learn Curse naturally.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 09-28-2002 11:43 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's because your GBA is in GBC mode. With a GBC game inside, your GBA might as well be a GBC that can stretch the screen and doesn't have an infrared port. With RS installed, the GBA will be in GBA mode. The problem must lie with the fact that the GBC cannot handle the GBA cable, yet the GBA cannot handle the GBC cable. What is one to do?
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Cheater
Farting Nudist
Member # 216

posted 09-29-2002 12:40 AM      Profile for Cheater        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
for a slightly more technical explanation, see http://devrs.com/gba/files/gbadevfaqs.php#LinkShape

at this point it still seems to be just speculation. after all, devrs.com only said "probably won't work". i guess we'll know for sure when the game comes out in november.

- - - - -
KIRBY - A mascot for the NINTENDO company, recently found out to be a real POKéMON. Related to JIGGLYPUFF.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 09-29-2002 02:26 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two words.

Special. Cable.

Or the Gematic Crystal/Yellow. If there's no backward trading in R/S, you can b e damned sure it'll be in the third gematic game.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 09-29-2002 05:49 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Gematic"? Who the hell keeps naming these sets such bloody stupid things? [Razz]
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Tenshi no Myu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1120

Member Rated:
posted 10-01-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Tenshi no Myu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Curselax aside, I'd be kind of upset if this incompatibility thing is true. I've kept all the lv. 100 pokemon I've had since Blue way back when. For sentimental value (and the hours spent on them) if nothing else.

To have to totally flush them all would really suck. [Frown] I know some people here use Gameshark for everything and can't sympathize, but for me, raising those guys took a *lot* of time and I'd hate to have to write them off due to technical issues.

- - - - -
It hung on with Focus Band!

From: Seattle Below | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-01-2002 11:19 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If nothing else, the GameCube version of Stadium will probably allow transfer. By then, the proles might have grown up or lost interest or something. I won't be flushing my max stat Sandslash, Clefable or Houndoom, you can be damn sure of that. 8D
~Uiru

- - - - -

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

Tenshi no Myu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1120

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for Tenshi no Myu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh! I hadn't thought of that--there probably *will* be another Stadium game, won't there. ^^;

That won't be so bad, then.

- - - - -
It hung on with Focus Band!

From: Seattle Below | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2002 05:12 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression they wanted a new, balanced pokemon world. To be honest, there should be some way to trick the port into 5 V mode as a GBA game. If not, here's how you could do it:

-You go to a link place. You say you want to link with the old game, and the system resets and tells you to make the connection. You make the connection, and trade.

What just happened: on reset, it loaded itself as if it were a GBA game, which I think is possible. Now it only has access to 8 bit operations and things, less memory, processor speed- but the port would function normally.

Or: A special cable that could convert would work.

Or: Gamecube connections.

But I figured it wouldn't happen because they want the world to be shiny and new, without old wacky stuff.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.