The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » In-battle stat modifiers

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In-battle stat modifiers
Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to find GameShark codes for Red and Blue that change the in-battle variables, and am having quite some difficulty. I locate variables that appear to contain the data I want, but changing them does not seem to affect how the Pokemon fights.

At the moment I'm trying to create the effect of the active Pokemon having powered-up Attack. I have a level 45 Scyther with Swords Dance. If I fish Magikarps, and use Swords Dance 0, 1, 2 or 3 times, I should be able to get some codes from that.

The first time through, I guessed that using Swords Dance would always increase the variable in question. The second time, I looked for a decrease, and got no codes. The third time, I assumed that using Swords Dance would have a repeatable result, but not necessarily an obvious pattern. If none of these things are true, that would explain the problem, but my current level of hacking skills can take me no further.

I'll post my findings in a few minutes.

[ 09-08-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2002 08:48 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To test whether a code worked or not, I confused Scyther. Normally, he can knock himself out in 4 hits, but powered up he can do it in 2. The aim was to repeat this effect using a code.

1ACD looked promising. It starts at 07. Using Swords Dance increases it by 2. Sharpen adds 1. If the other Pokemon uses Growl it decreases by 1. The possible range is 01 to 0D. This looks familiar from one info page on Azure Heights. But using the code 01 0D 1ACD just stops Scyther using Swords Dance again, and doesn't make him hit any harder.

BDCF and 26D0 always contain the same number. For Scyther they started at 7C. One use of Sharpen put them up to BA. Two Sharpens or one Swords Dance gave F9. For no Sharpens to 6 (or equivalent Swords Dances) :
7C, BA, F9, 37, 76, B4, F3.
Editing these 2 memory locations appeared to do nothing. Also, changing another stat altered this variable, in ways I can't hope to explain.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Getting wierder still, 3 other variables changed every time I did any stat modifier, or the opponent used one on Scyther. They were stored the same way in 2 memory locations. These numbers are for 0, 1, 2... 8 sucessful uses of any mixture of stat modifiers.

BFCF/28D0 - 57 61 6D 7A 89 9A AD C2 DA
C1CF/2AD0 - 73 81 91 A3 B7 CD E6 02 22
C3CF/2CD0 - 44 4C 55 5F 6A 77 84 95 A7

Pokemon is strange [Confused] .

Finally, great fun came from D5CC, which counts the number of moves elapsed. Well, at least I understand something [Big Grin] .

I don't know how often I'll be able to check this thread, but any help would be greatly appreciated. A code that works would be the best thing, but I'd also be glad of an explanation of these numbers [Big Grin] .

Thanks [Wink] .

[ 09-08-2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 09-14-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's my theory:

1- The number you found first is exactly what you think it is: a limiter on where you are on the sliding scale of fun. Well, it sounds that way, right?

2- All the values you call are 8 bit values. What level is your test scyther? See, if his attack is like 90, the first SD will take you to 180, and the next to 270. In hex this is:

90 -> 00 5A
180 -> 00 B4
270 -> 01 0E

Now, if you are doing a standard 8 bit search for increasing numbers, you'll see that nothing increases for all of these. You will likely get your results by starting with his original attack value (remember, we're assuming pokemon uses this value raw: I've been out of the game for awhile, so it might have something known done to it first) and going through a chart like this. So you would search for greater, greater, and lesser, and greater. (the next in the series would double the 0E). That would hopefully find the least signifigant byte, and so the most signifigant one would be next to it in memory for a two line code.

Does this help? I wouldn't personally mess with it much: I would just take a level 5 or something and look for that.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I'll try that.

I read something on another thread about stat bleeding : apparently using any stat modifier raises all of them slightly. If this it true, it could be partly that that's messing up my results. They could be responsible for the fun in my third post [Roll Eyes] .

- - - - -

Ok, I tried it with a level 5 Pidgey and Double Team, assuming that 1 DT < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5 < 6.
I got pretty much the same codes as before.
However, 01 0D 1FCD does seem to work for evade.
I tested 01 0D 1ACD again, but with no luck. I tried various tests, and in none of them did it make any difference to my Pokemon.

From what I know already, I would guess :
1ACD attack
1BCD defense
1CCD speed
ADCD special
1ECD accuracy
1FCD evade
Speed is the easiest to measure, and that one doesn't work either. I'm sure the evade one does though... I guess the last two must use a different system. I'll try Pidgey with Speed when I get the time.

[ 09-17-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 09-18-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks cfalcon, using a lower level Pokemon really helped.

The codes I got from Scyther weren't wrong, it's just that I found the low-byte, and Scyther's stats were so high already that changing the low-byte had no visible effect. However, changing the low-byte for Pidgey did have a significant effect.

Next, I sharked my badges away, and looked at Pidgey and Scyther. The numbers suddenly started to make a lot more sense :).

BDCF/26D0 - low-byte of in-battle Attack
BFCF/28D0 - Defense
C1CF/2AD0 - Speed
C3CF/2CD0 - Special

As far as I remember from earlier, it is the second of each pair here that needs to be changed to have any effect. I haven't tried yet, but the position of the high-byte has a very good chance of being where I think it is.

Without badges, these variables started as the Pokemons' actual stats, and each one increased as might be expected when I used the appropriate stat modifier.

Four of the badges add to a particular stat at the start of the battle, and add some more every time I use a stat modifier. Interestingly, there are mistakes in the instructions about which badge affects which stat :P.

I'll bring my papers later and post some exact results.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 10-03-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The instructions claim :
Boulder Badge boosts Attack;
Thunder Badge boosts Speed;
Soul Badge boosts Defense;
Volano Badge boosts Special.

However, in the game :
Boulder Badge boosts Attack;
Thunder Badge boosts Defense;
Marsh Badge boosts Speed;
Volcano Badge boosts Special.

[edit] The badge guy in Cerulean agrees with the instructions.

[ 10-04-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Umm... this is pretty signifigant. I had never heard of the instructions being wrong about the badges. You should make a post in one of the mainstream forums with this info (like Research Lab), cause this is interesting.

Maybe Meowth or somebody knew this for years. I sure didn't.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.