The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » hanzou's codes, ideas, questions, gripes, etc

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hanzou's codes, ideas, questions, gripes, etc
hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 07-05-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that I have stopped hacking pokemon for quite some time now, I'd like to look back at some past ideas. I will dedicate this thread to a bunch of random topics that I want to bring up. I encourage you to post your thoughts on these, so please feel free to.

Some of these topics will make reference to my FAQ from a year ago. Some other stuff, like the executables, can be found on the root of the website.

#1 dynamic sharking
I've put a download link for stealgs.exe on my website. Prior, I had only shown this program to a couple people. The original purpose of it was to give sort of a demonstration as to why a decent pokemon-stealing plain GameShark code could not be created for Pokemon Gold/Silver. This program also served to show that, when Pokemon is played in an emulator, dynamic sharking had the power to create many cool add-in features to the game. These add-ins could be made transparent and user-friendly to effectively run a sort of expansion pack version of Pokemon on an emulator. This program stealgs.exe, was only a very primitive example.

I am wondering, have any other such dynamic sharking plug-ins/programs been done?

[ 01-13-2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: hanzou ]

- - - - -
-hanzou

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 07-06-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
#2 battling online through the use of a general-purpose emulator

Around a year and a half ago they came out with Prototype-D version 0.1LP, the first GameBoy emulator able to emulate the link cable through an online connection (NO$GMB could accomplish it on a single computer).

Unfortunately, there were some bugs in the interface (with the Pokemon game at least), and it was still impossible to trade or battle over the link. At least one of the emulated games would always crash before the first move was thrown.

Furthermore, speed was a severe problem. Some people guessed that this was merely because the feature was new and needed to be smoothed out in later versions. However, the real reason for the horrible speed problem is the principle that you can't take a low-latency protocol (the GameBoy's link cable) and expect it to function quickly on a high-latency backbone (TCP/IP). Prototype-D accomplished functionality by slowing down the game clock periods to the length of the connection latency. This makes the games awkwardly slow even on a high-speed LAN, and intolerably slow across the internet.

Looking around, it seems that Prototype-D hasn't had a new version released since 0.1LP. And among the new GameBoy emulators, I still do not see one that emulates the link cable properly online. Does anyone know if such emulators exist by now?

In terms of playing pokemon battles online, this might not serve much use, but it may still be interesting to fool around with.

- - - - -
-hanzou

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 07-07-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
#3 hacked ROMS

Check out http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb.html It seems that there are now over 20 ROM hacks for various pokemon games. Having not played any of these myself, I'm first wondering: Do any of these hacks change the actual game play, or do they all only change just the text and the map sprites? Playing through another alternate pokemon world has some appeal, but I think not much appeal if there is only a theme change. I'm guessing that for some of these ROM hacks, there might not be a single person on the earth (save the ROM hack's creator) who has played the game from start to finish.

Who here has tried them out?

- - - - -
-hanzou

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 07-07-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The author has made the trainers and gym leaders in the game 2 to 4 times harder. If you want a challenge, check this out."
The gameplay must be changed somewhat in that one.
"This is a hack where you collect girls instead of Pokemon. Also, some graphics have been changed."
I might even play that one...

- - - - -
What Nintendo doesn't want you to know
Uiru: "Now that we're all used to the rules, clauses and by-laws... what would happen to the metagame if every one of them were whipped away?"
GP-Chan: "id probably quit every battle, and not just every other battle."
ThumbsOfSteel: "Why, because they broke the rules?"

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 07-07-2002 10:50 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jshadias:
"The author has made the trainers and gym leaders in the game 2 to 4 times harder. If you want a challenge, check this out."

Yeah I saw that but didn't think much of it. After all, changing gym leader lineups and levels is initially (before the Pokemon-specific hack tools were written) even easier to do than editing text and map sprites. And it doesn't change the flow of the game much, certainly not compared to something like map-hacking or changing where to get certain items.

Hmm, on second thought, changing which pokemon lie in the grasses is a step towards that and I think some of the hack descriptions might have mentioned doing that...

- - - - -
-hanzou

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 07-07-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
#4 the past and the future

I have about a dozen more topics flowing through my head. These include but are not limited to:
- the lack of primitive ROM-hack tools (map-editor, gymleader-editor for G/S/C)
- the lack of a ROM graphics editor (necrosaro cracked the code a year and a half ago but it seems still noone has written an encoder)
- still no save-file hack tools for pokemon games
- or similarly, how about converters for GameShark 3.1 snapshot <-> emulator snapshot/savefile
- my failed idea from two years ago of creating an online two-player battle system through the use of dynamic sharking with an NPC battle
- how impressed I am with the good user-interface of NetBattle
- the possibility of doing some Pokemon-specific link cable protocol hacking to get good online Pokemon emulated battle/trading but without the difficulty and problems of general-purpose link cable functionality.
- the dream of bringing together many of the above things in an interface to create a complete online pokemon experience--an online pokemon world where you can walk around and see other real players walking around, battle them, use new items and new desired abilities and do new custom-made quests in a modified and expanded online world.

But I realize communicating all these ideas fully is becoming addicting for me, and I need to put this out of the way and get back to my summer job, so I'd like to close up my thinking process for now.

This board is pretty inactive nowadays, but in the past I had found it to be the best place for intelligent pokemon hacking discussion. Back in the old days, GameFAQs, gameshark.com, and CMGSCCC just didn't have the quality mature discussion. RPGamer had some great hackers but they were kind of cluttered with other stuff. And I didn't think any of the hundred other boards came close at all.

Of course, naturally things change. It seems Azure Heights itself is stagnating. Pokemon Gold/Silver has been out for about two years now and the pages of marvelous documented pokemon info on azureheights.com are still dedicated to "Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Stadium". If things are going to stay that way I guess we can't expect life to stay here much longer.

Hey, who knows what happened to pokedaily.com? It now has a message claiming that it is still alive, but that message is dated February. Even RPGamer's pokemon board is stagnating too.

necrosaro, arguably the greatest pokemon hacker ever, last updated his pokemon page 1.5 years ago. In index on his AOL web directory he says, "But, I doubt anyone really cares about Pokemon anymore anyway." I'm guessing he's moved on to more exciting things.

Ehh oops, enough depressing memories. Anyways so I'm wondering, if that old kind of _active_ hacking discussion still goes on, which forums have it? The pokemon-top-40 sure didn't help me find anything. All the sites it links to seem to be about collectables and TV episodes. Didn't Azure Heights used to be on the pokemon-top-40? Haha.

There is something today I did come across that I thought was pretty cool. Check this guy out here posting on the GameFAQs Pokemon Crystal forum: [link removed due to gamefaqs purge] (Okay I realize that's the kind of link that is likely to become a broken link in the near future, but let's just hope it lasts long enough). Game Kid is his name. He is a former hacker for CMGSCCC and he seems to be very enthusiastic about hacking Pokemon still. He cranks out a lot of other unique Pokemon Crystal codes in some of his other posts on the forum. It also seems that GameFAQs is more friendly to GameSharkers nowadays, and the forums are definitely still some of the most active.

Well anyways, I thought that was neat.

[ 01-13-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: hanzou ]

- - - - -
-hanzou

jshadias
Farting Nudist
Member # 2710

Member Rated:
posted 07-10-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for jshadias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do you make gameshark codes if you know ROM memory addresses? Anyways, very few people here know how to hack. I just figured it out yesterday.

- - - - -
What Nintendo doesn't want you to know
Uiru: "Now that we're all used to the rules, clauses and by-laws... what would happen to the metagame if every one of them were whipped away?"
GP-Chan: "id probably quit every battle, and not just every other battle."
ThumbsOfSteel: "Why, because they broke the rules?"

scizor21394
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2201

Member Rated:
posted 07-11-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for scizor21394   Email scizor21394      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i downloaded that patch from the site
HOW DO I USE IT !!!!!!(yes i really mean to seceem it)plese tell me how

"i no i kat spel"

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.