next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » New user / myth

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New user / myth
Ingmar Funtz
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2725

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Ingmar Funtz   Email Ingmar Funtz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yo. New user here. (I'm a user, heh heh...)
Aaanyway... I sent this to one of the maintainers for the myths page a while ago but I never got a reply, so i'm just gonna post it here. I know, I know, it's about catching mew *again*, but please just give it a chance. I've never heard this idea anywhere else, but if it's just old news forgive me.
I thought of a way to catch Mew 'fairly', and no it's not some silly list of chores. When I started playing red, I named my character Mike. Anyway, I went through the game, and then I read about this Missingno thing and when I went to fight it, I also kept running into level 255 Porygons. I mentioned this on some boards and other people said they kept running into one other species of pokemon when looking for Missingno, too (I remember others mentioning Rhyhorn and Golduck.). Eventually I believe we figured which pokemon species you'd keep running into was determined by the name of your character. Since/if your name changes which pokemon you run into, then in theory there should be something you can name yourself that will make the pokemon you run into be Mew. I never looked into this any further and hadn't even thought of using it to catch Mew until today.
Think it could work?

- - - - -
"Ekans used acid!" - This alone justifies training Ekans to level 37.

o/' Some songs are very long
This one's not o/'

From: Deep within the lower intestine of a sperm whale (send help) | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
undone-backwards
Farting Nudist
Member # 197

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for undone-backwards   Email undone-backwards   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even if this were true it would be almost impossible to prove. Think of all the different combinations of names there are. Even if you worked the rest of your life trying to prove this you may never find the name or sequence of letters to unlock the mew as there are simply too many. It seems pointless when considering a Mew can be caught through the aid of a gameshark. Anyhow, Mew sux.
From: under your bed... | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2002 05:13 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would not be possible, becuase hew corresponds to hex 15, and no character usable in the name has the identity of 15.

[ 03-26-2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 03-26-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Click:
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000765

and scroll down to the big post by Jolt135 for the lowdown on trainer names affecting the Missingno glitch.

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2002 02:33 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was actually brought up ages ago on AGNP. Someone had the same theory you did. Experimentation and ROM h0r4xing later revealed that yes, the characters in your name do correspond to what pokemon you run into when getting freaky with Missingno, but only a relatively small number of pokemon can be intentionally glitched into your game like this, as several characters don't have corresponding pokemon ((and therefore correspond to a Missingno species)), and many pokemon don't have a corresponding character. IIRC, you CAN get Mew by Gamesharking your name so that the second or third letter is some weird, not normally attainable character with the same hex value as Mew, but once again, it's just another method of Gamesharking Mew. Only advantage is it's a One-Shark deal, and you can get as many psychic kitties as you want, since your name is permanently changed.

FYI, the original discussion thread from AGNP can be found on Deja by doing a search for the subject line "so fucking close" on the NG alt.games.nintendo.pokemon. UPNetwork also used to have an article on the subject, but alas, it is no more. -_-

[ 03-27-2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: PikaCharma ]

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.