The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Bits, bytes and gameshark codes (not about Pokémon, really)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bits, bytes and gameshark codes (not about Pokémon, really)
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I've learned, the "bit" part of a game console or computer (64-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit etc.) is used to describe how many bits make up one byte for that particular system (8 bits make a byte in a GBC, 32 bits make a byte in a GBA, 64 bits make a byte in an N64 etc.).

Is that correct?

I've also learned that GS codes are entered in hex values, and they change bytes in the RAM. A byte for the GB consists of eight 1's or 0's, or two 0-F's.

Does that mean that to describe a byte for, say, Dreamcast (which is 128 bit), one would need four 0-F's?

Wouldn't that make the codes for a possible DreamShark a bit long? (There's the four-digit byte, then there's a four-digit number to determine where to store it, and there are some other four-digit numbers which do other stuff with the game... Something like this: 01################)

Is that so? Or am I wrong in my thoughts?

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 02:46 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i've used game shark on gameboy, GBC, SNES and PSone and as far as i remember, their all 01XXXXXX but its an interesting idea.

[edit]
hmm, i was thinkig, every code i've used (not that many) hae use 01 as the first two positions. is this true for evry code? and if so, why do you have to enter in the 01 every time, whouldent it be like defult?

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: psykloak1 ]

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Crystal some of the codes start with 91.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 01-04-2002 01:57 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
From what I've learned, the "bit" part of a game console or computer (64-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit etc.) is used to describe how many bits make up one byte for that particular system (8 bits make a byte in a GBC, 32 bits make a byte in a GBA, 64 bits make a byte in an N64 etc.).

Is that correct?

Not exactly. There are always 8 bits in a byte on every system, because the definition of a byte is 8 bits. However, on a 16-bit system (for example), the machinery uses 16-bit _integers_, so most numbers crunched are 16-bits long. You'll notice that on 8-bit systems like the NES and Game Boy you'll often see numbers (like Link's rupees in Zelda) that can't go above 255, yet you don't see that happen much on the Super NES.

- - - - -
-hanzou

articuno255
Farting Nudist
Member # 2381

Member Rated:
posted 01-04-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for articuno255        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's only a guess, but I think the 01 bit refers to a particular area of memory. On computers, conventional memory I remember is divivded into 0-F. Something tells me the term 'word' is somehow involved.

- - - - -
"The crowd's excitement is growing over this HOT battle!" - Stadium Narrator

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It isn't just to do with integers... it's that the processor can handle 8/16/32/etc. bits simultaneously. So it can do more data crunching and less memory swapping.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-26-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I kind of get it...

Are bytes and integers related somehow? Or are they not? It makes sense to store the integer in a byte...

Gameboy = 8-bit system. Mewtwo has a special of over 400. Please explain...

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 01-27-2002 08:37 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stat = int((2B + 2D + S) * L / 100) + X

B = Base Stat
D = DV
S = Stat Exp. Point Value [int((sqrt(E - 1) + 1) / 4)]
L = Level
X = 5, except for HP, where it is Level + 10

For your very reason (8-bit limit), they had a (2 * B) command in the formula, instead of just storing doubled values of B.

Mewtwo's Base Stat in Special A is 154, so it will fit in 8 bits.

When you evaluate the formula and come up with 406, obviously that exceeds 255. But by this point, the values are stored in TWO bytes, instead of one. The first byte of each stat is treated as 256 times its standalone value.

In GS, HP is stored in DA4D and DA4E, Attack is stored in DA4F and DA50, etc.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Jolt135 ]

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 01-27-2002 10:50 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmm, i was thinkig, every code i've used (not that many) hae use 01 as the first two positions. is this true for evry code? and if so, why do you have to enter in the 01 every time, whouldent it be like defult?

I've read on a FAQ 01 or 91 is actually one of those activator codes, similar in design and structure to those "must be on" codes for the GameShark Advance and other non-GameBoy GameSharks.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.