The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Weird Missingno. finding

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Missingno. finding
poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 10-30-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cadieux_philippe@hotmail.com emailed me telling me to post here and in the Research Lab. These are his exact words (regarding Missingno.):

quote:

Hi! I am know mainly as Mew seeker at the gamefaqs boards but I am a watcher of the Azure Heights for quite a time (Luiga, the flying fish!) even though I can't post there yet.

[...]

First of all, something that happenned to my brother with Missingno.
While surfing for MissingNo, Blaine appeared! 0_o It might looks fake but I assure you it is not! My e-mail is cadieux_philippe@hotmail.com !

I think this one belong to Sakaki Tower.
I don't think something like that happened to someone at Azure Heights.
Anyways (prepare your Game Shark ) the trainer name is Black *
where * is the male symbole (like the one in Nidorino*) and the OT number is 09852.
There is a space between k and *, don't forget it! I don't have the rival name though.

Blaine has a level 8 ????(graphics are screwed up), then a level 32 Nidorino, then a level 32 MissingNo (the game load as for saving, so more items!), then a level 32 ???? (weak against psychic attacks), then a level 32 Flareon, then a level 32 Nidorino. He even gives you money after the battle! 3168 if I'm right. Don't let him use an item: he might use a TM and then freeze the game!

You can also encounter there while surfing a level 0 M, a level 171 Missingno and a level 162 Porigon.

Discuss.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: poccil ]

- - - - -
The Ultimate Pokemon Center | Gold/Silver Lab
"I believe that poccil is an intelligent, respected member of the online Pokemon community." -sarcastic comment by White Cat

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 10-31-2001 05:24 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The End modifier is in fact HEX 50 = decimal 80. 32 would mean one of the HEX values is 20, but for "TrainerPokemonLevel" I don't think anything is thrown off by Missingno. P3168 I can account for; Blaine has some variable equal to 99 = HEX 63, which means "When you beat this trainer, multiply the level of their Pokemon by this number (99) to find how much money you win." All other Gym Leaders, plus the E5, have a value of 99 in this variable as well.

Digits for Blaine are 239 = HEX EF. This is odd, because 239's text output is a question mark, and not a "male" symbol. Or maybe my text mapping chart is off (I mapped it off Gold and just assumed they hadn't changed since RBY.)

Digit offset for lowercase letters is +159, so the 171 and 162 match up with their respective Pokemon. L0 'M comes from the blank digits after the name.

The strangest part is why he has 5 L32s and a L8. It would have to have been that he had (prior to talking to the Old Man) run around in an area where both L32s and L8s exist. But I don't think such an area exists.

This is all the help I can provide right now. I just picked up NO$GMB, so I might be able to explore this a bit further.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 10-31-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone know codes that'll make the ghost of Pokemon Tower appear?

*is safe to box, whenever unboxed it changes type depending on the box, has movesets of low-level starters, e.g. Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble*

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oporaca:
Anyone know codes that'll make the ghost of Pokemon Tower appear?

omg, can you imagin going into battle with that thing, your opponent whould phr33k. of course, if u can use GS to get it, u can use GS to put good moves on it. hehe

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Spsobx
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2301

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2001 03:43 PM      Profile for Spsobx        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
er... i'm not sure what your laws are considering "noobs", but i'm gonna speak anyway, k?
i don't exactly know that much about programming, but i think that a bunch of these numbers probably give us short glimpses of programming code or something related to it.
these number patterns would be useful for rom programmers, so they could reprogram "improved" versions of pokemon red and blue for the computer. why don't we all try posting any number repetition we see in glitches in red and blue?

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um...yes, they're called "ROMs and emulators."

*is not surprised that Spsobx's member number is 2301, and has a 1 rating*

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Jolt135 ]

Spsobx
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2301

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Spsobx        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes, i know what roms and emulators are, altho i'm not quite sure how they work, cuz i'm not a programmer. i used to download roms and emulators.

as to your comments about my rating: whadaya expect? this is my first day at this forum. btw, is the miscellaneous krap board the most active? and what's the gpam (gross posts a minute) for this forum?

FreeZeR
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1878

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2001 06:28 PM      Profile for FreeZeR   Email FreeZeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was something I saw about this a while back.
The missingno. cheat is based on your name.
What was your brother's game's name?

- - - - -
WeLCoMe To THe FreeZeR

From: O'Fallon, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2001 08:19 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeZeR:
There was something I saw about this a while back.
The missingno. cheat is based on your name.
What was your brother's game's name?

"It's based on your name?"

Is that all you have to say?

This will be the second time I post the following message on Azure. It was originally posted on TPM by LordSnorlax, after I had left that board (although I provided the document and he just posted it.) Here goes!

quote:

Q: What is Missingno.?

A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.

Q: How do I find it?

A: You don't know how to find it? Go play some more RBY. But, if you're one of the outcasts who doesn't know how to find it, here goes. Talk to the Old Man at the northern edge of Viridian, and let him catch a Weedle. Then, Fly to Cinnabar (you can also go to Fuchsia and Surf to Seafoam Islands, but that takes a lot longer) and Surf up and down the right edge. After a while, you'll run into some unnatural Pokemon at high levels, and Missingno. (or a Pokemon with a glitched name containing 'M in the middle). NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK IN YELLOW, OR THE EUROPEAN VERSIONS OF THE GAME.

(At this point, it gets very complex. You'll be better off reading the rest if you know how to hack.)

Q: Why does the above trick work?

A: There are two things that, when combined, made it possible for this trick to exist. Here they are:

1. When creating the map for what Pokemon appear where, they made a crucial flaw. The 1-square-wide strip of water on the right side of Cinnabar and Seafoam Islands was programmed to be a place where wild Pokemon CAN appear. But (and thank GAMEFREAK for this one) they forgot to define what Pokemon can appear there. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that means the previous settings for "what Pokemon can appear" will remain, and if you read #2, you'll see why that cuses the glitch.

2. When the Old Man catches the Weedle, they change the variables that are assigned to "Your Name" to Old Man, so it shows up as "Old Man threw the Poke Ball." Now, in order to do that, it overwrites the variables you gave to "Your Name". Therefore, the game must store the variables that make up your name to another place, so it can recall them later. So the programmers at NOA probably thought,
"What are some variables that we can overwrite to assign to the character's name for this process?"
"I got it! How about the slots that define what Pokemon you can run into?"
"That's it! Whenever the character enters a new area, they'll be rewritten, so it won't disturb the game at all!"
*points to #1* Umm.....no. As a result, that wonderful glitch can be yours for only *insert whatever price your local retailer charges for R/B*!
Of course, it's not JUST Missingno. you can run into. There will also be some L100+ Pokemon, whose species and levels are determined by your name.

*sees audience sleeping*
*turns on 12-inch subwoofers at full blast*
There. Now that I have your attention,....

Q: How do I determine the levels?

A: First off, look at letters 2, 4, and 6 of your name. Those letters will determine the levels of the Pokemon you can run into. First, take the NUMERICAL equivalent (A=1, B=2, etc.) of those letters, and add 127 for uppercase or 159 for lowercase. In addition, the symbols are as follows:
( 154
) 155
: 156
; 157
[ 158
] 159
PK 209
MN 210
? 239
P(monetary symbol) 240
x(times sign) 241
. 242
? 245
Also, at the end of your name, the game inserts an 80 (HEX 50) to designate "End of Name". Because of how the variables are used, this means that one of the levels your Missingno. (or glitched 'M name) will be is always L80.

Q: Species determined by name? Cool! I'll get a new name and try that so I can get Mew WITHOUT SHARKING!

A: Hold it right there. While it is determined by name, the lowest number assigned to a character (other than the 80 that is assigned to the "End of Name" character) is 128, for a capital A. In EVERY variable that designates a Pokemon, Mew is assigned the number 21 (HEX 15). If you can make the connection, that means that NO name you enter will result in Mew being a possibility. The low numbers like 21 represent glitch characters that are not available for naming anything and can only be found with a Shark. For convenience, here is the table of what Pokemon will appear for each letter. Letters 3, 5, and 7 are used to determine this:
A: Golduck
B: Hypno
C: Golbat
D: Mewtwo (BIG OPPORTUNITY HERE!)
E: Snorlax
F: Magikarp
G: Missingno.
H: Missingno.
I: Muk
J: Missingno.
K: Kingler
L: Cloyster
M: Missingno.
N: Electrode
O: Clefable
P: Weezing
Q: Persian
R: Marowak
S: Missingno.
T: Haunter
U: Abra
V: Alakazam
W: Pidgeotto
X: Pidgeot
Y: Starmie
Z: Bulbasaur (Get all the starters without trading!)
a: Missingno.
b: Missingno.
c: Missingno.
d: Ponyta
e: Rapidash
f: Rattata
g: Raticate
h: Nidorino
i: Nidorina
j: Geodude
k: Porygon
l: Aerodactyl
m: Missingno.
n: Magnemite
o: Missingno.
p: Missingno.
q: Charmander (Get all the starters without trading!)
r: Squirtle (Get all the starters without trading!)
s: Charmeleon
t: Wartortle
u: Charizard
v: Missingno.
w: Missingno.
x: Missingno.
y: Missingno.
z: Oddish
Note: If you want to try the glitch, DO NOT use one of the special characters in your name. If you do, you might end up facing a Trainer. You will not be able to get out of the match, and eventually one of their Pokemon will be a glitch that can freeze (and possibly erase) your game. Also, species from 3 goes with level from 2, species from 5 goes with level from 4, and species from 7 goes with level from 6.

Q: How about some examples?

A: Okay.
Test #1- Name: PIKACHU
Letters 2, 4, and 6 (levels):
2: I = 9 + 127 = 136
4: A = 1 + 127 = 128
6: H = 8 + 127 = 135
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
3: K = Kingler on chart
5: C = Golbat on chart
7: U = Abra on chart
Combining the numbers, the name “PIKACHU” should yield L136 Kingler, L128 Golbat, and L135 Abra. Test it out; it does.

Test #2- Name: DxDyDzD
Letters 2, 4, 6 (levels):
x: 24 + 159 = 183
y: 25 + 159 = 184
z: 26 + 159 = 185
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
D = Mewtwo on chart
Result: Mewtwo at levels 183-185. Name change, anyone?

Test #3- Name: BLUE
Result: Starmie, Abra, Golduck (????????)
The name “BLUE” only has 4 letters, the third of which is a U, yielding Abra (the L giving L139). But that doesn’t explain Starmie and Golduck! Starmie corresponds to Y and Golduck to A, neither of which appear! The E in slot 4 means L132, which explains the L132 Missingno that I run into sometimes (slot 5 is probably an 80, which yields Missingno.). If you have any research that I could use in explaining this, e-mail me at <Jolt0135@aol.com>.
UPDATE-10/29/01: I just picked up NO$GMB, and I have now solved this mystery. No further help needed.

Incidentally, you can Rare-Candy these L100+ monsters past 255 to get to L0, then to whatever you want. Or, you can just take them into battle, where ANY experience reverts them to L100.

Q: Where would I get that many Rare Candies?

A: I was hoping you would ask. That's the other part of the Missingno. glitch. You see, when I was referring to the 256 possibilities earlier on, it's stored as 8 bits (0 or 1 each). Whenever you run into Missingno., it takes the first bit of the "Copies of Sixth Item Held" byte (D329) and sets it to 1. In simpler terms, if you have 127 or fewer copies of your sixth item, you get an extra 128 copies (if you already have 128+, nothing happens). And since the most copies of an item you can naturally have is 99 = HEX 63 = BIN 01100011, the "127 or less" requirement will always happen unless you sharked items or have used the trick on that item before.

Q: How do I shark a name change? I want that "DxDyDzD" name without having to restart!

A: Well, if you're sharking, just go ahead and get the Pokemon that way. But if you want a name change, here it is:
Letter 1: 01**58D1
Letter 2: 01**59D1
Letter 3: 01**5AD1
Letter 4: 01**5BD1
Letter 5: 01**5CD1
Letter 6: 01**5DD1
Letter 7: 01**5ED1
End Name: 01505FD1
That ends this venture into the World of Glitches. If you are still here, consider yourself lucky to understand what I was saying.

Hard to believe I got this all from firsthand research. Trust me, after I saw what MewtwoSama had compiled a long time before, I almost had to replace the computer.

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2001 10:59 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lvl 55 Mewtwo, here I come!

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

Corrupt
Farting Nudist
Member # 2210

Member Rated:
posted 11-10-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Corrupt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coxy:
Lvl 55 Mewtwo, here I come!

Cheap ass son of a bitch !!1!!

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-11-2001 08:04 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um...55 is HEX 37...

Character 37 is a glitch character that can't be used...

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 11-11-2001 07:12 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a thought: some people have reported having their games corrupted by Missingno., but most of us run into, and even catch Missingno. on a regular basis and have had nothing bad happen. Perhaps only specific Missingno. cause the game to be corrupted (eg. maybe only G and H triggered Missingno. corrupt the data).

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-11-2001 09:44 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corrupt:

Cheap ass son of a bitch !!1!!

How many people here shark lvl 100 or max DV pokemon since they're too lazy to get them on their own. A lot, in my experience (more the lvl 100 than max DV, tho)

- - - - -

Corrupt
Farting Nudist
Member # 2210

Member Rated:
posted 11-13-2001 09:37 AM      Profile for Corrupt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coxy:

How many people here shark lvl 100 or max DV pokemon since they're too lazy to get them on their own. A lot, in my experience (more the lvl 100 than max DV, tho)

Thats not the point i'm making, it's the fact that you seem pleased to get a *Mewtwo* out of it. hence "Cheap ass son of a bitch"

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-13-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=00 0526

Just don't bump it back up, unless you want to get flamed.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This got my attention, so I hunted down my old Missingno page:

quote:

Both R/B built in names follow certain strings.
RED ASH JACK NEW NAME
BLUE GARY JOHN NEW NAME

The blank spaces are intrepreted to HEX/50, Decimal/80

The built in name ASH is intrepreted by game as
ASH JACK NE

ASH should run into:
SH : 146, MISSINGNO.
_J : 80, MISSINGNO.
AC : 128, Golbat
K_ : 138, MISSINGNO.
NE : 141, Snorlax

GARY should run into
AR : 128, Marowak
Y_ : 152, MISSINGNO.
JO : 137, Clefable
HN : 135, Electrode
_N : 80, Electrode

JOHN should run into
OH : 142, Missingno
N_ : 141, Missingno
NE : 141, Snorlax
W_ : 150, Missingno
NA : 141, Golduck

Apparently, when you enter your own name, there are four characters you cant see.
Two of which runs into a L80 Mblockchip.
The other two characters need to be researched.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pokegod:
Here's a thought: some people have reported having their games corrupted by Missingno., but most of us run into, and even catch Missingno. on a regular basis and have had nothing bad happen. Perhaps only specific Missingno. cause the game to be corrupted (eg. maybe only G and H triggered Missingno. corrupt the data).

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

It doesnt seem to fuck with your game, but I remember it fucking with other people games when you battle them.

There's a shark code to clear your Hall of Fame which cures it somewhat.

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 11-16-2001 02:25 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
European versions DO NOT include the English language versions. This is because they are the same as the US version.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2001 07:00 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corrupt:

Thats not the point i'm making, it's the fact that you seem pleased to get a *Mewtwo* out of it. hence "Cheap ass son of a bitch"

And what's wrong with Mewtwo?

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.