The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Atention: Strategists, Poké-Hackers and cheaters

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Atention: Strategists, Poké-Hackers and cheaters
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 03:36 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have people saying to me that MegaMem is unreliable, that it erases games and back up.
I had one for 2 years and no problem, the one time it did erase my stuff was when I turned off the GB before turning off the MegaMem wich led me to conclude that people are causing their own MegaMem crashes.
Can anyone confirm this?
Are MegaMems just screwed up and I'm the lucky guy eho has a reliable MegaMem?

Oh, also, since this forum is full of poké-hackers...

Question, would a Strategist be interested in joining a league where they can absolutely cannot hack after they join BUT any natural looking hacks before they enroll would be permited?
Does the fact that they will no longer be able to cheat after they join just turn them off from joining in the first place?
I am preventing cheating by backing their game up in a MegaMem when they leave league gatherings and restoring that league only copy when they arrive, this way the other players and I can make sure that no one cheats.

Opinions, coments and answers please...

- - - - -
"Pokemon, no matter what anyone says, is not just about link battles. PBS is not Pokemon." -Mr. K

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Megamem never fails either...Back up the game, drop everything in the 64 Box, recall game, withdraw everything, double whatever you have over and over, yadda, yadda, yadda

*shoves his auto-response robot onto the Pulverizers*

Not really. Let's just start a league where you CAN hack, and call it "official"! Screw you Nintendo! It's your fault for not providing a tournament in the first place!

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beckachu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1785

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Beckachu     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MegaMem: My MegaMem has erased twice, and lost me a lot of good pokémon. When mine erased it showed up this strange screen then went off. turned it back on and no more saves. .

Hacker tourney idea: I don't cheat my pokemon. Thats probably why they are so crap...

PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Dreamer:
the one time it did erase my stuff was when I turned off the GB before turning off the MegaMem wich led me to conclude that people are causing their own MegaMem crashes.
Can anyone confirm this?
Are MegaMems just screwed up and I'm the lucky guy eho has a reliable MegaMem?

When my game got trashed by a mega mem card, I *did* switch the card off before shutting off my gameboy. It could very well be that that some mega mem crashes are due to users doing stupid shit and\or not reading the instructions, as is the case with Gameshark...but mega mems are notorious for trashing games, and I can personally attest to their suckage, even when instructions are followed down to the last detail. My card was also very inconsistent in its crashes. It had no ill effects on my red or blue cart, but it completely wiped the data off my yellow one. And I mean completely. After I used it on my yellow game, I turned the game back on, and the continue option was simply gone. No "the save file is corrupted" message. The cart was completely wiped clean. It actually did this twice to my yellow cart. The first time, it successfully backed up the data, but wiped my cart. Stupid me, I just assumed this was the way it worked, so I restored the file and went on my merry way. After that, I tried backing it up yet again, and, yet again, my cart got wiped. But this time, not only did it not successfully back up, it wouldn't even let me restore my older save file. I actually had to restore my old yellow save to my blue cart, which, by some miracle worked, but was completely unstable. All of the above times, I switched the card off before shutting off my gameboy and removing the card. Go figure. I think you're just lucky you got a mega mem that likes you.

quote:
Question, would a Strategist be interested in joining a league where they can absolutely cannot hack after they join BUT any natural looking hacks before they enroll would be permited?

Well, since in G\S\C it is possible to trade items attached to pokemon, I'd guess several copies of each TM, several copies of each item, and several thousand rare candies could be naturally achieved? Or at least have the TMs and items handy, and show up with a Lvl 100, fully box-tricked, fully evolved form of each pokemon. Prob'ly better that way, so I wouldn't have to mess with box tricking after rare candying. Would trading over to R\B\Y for TMing purposes be legal, if I showed up with a natural looking R\B\Y cart? But damn, no multiple TM's there, aside from the ones you can buy. I probably wouldn't be into it. It's better than a 'no gameshark, ever, and you're only allowed to play your games here, period' league, but still a pain, cuz if I get an idea for a new Pokemon, I may or may not be able to put it together in a reasonable amount of time, especially considering that all training time would have to be spent at the league. No training while I'm watching TV or listening to the radio or sitting in class. I'm guessing that the purpose of the "no hacking after joining" rule is to keep people from designing a team in one day that's custom tailored to whup a different team's ass. Couldn't that still be done though, if you have multiple copies of all TMs and a boatload of Lvl 100's ready to go? And while this may be an unbelievably cheap stunt in a regular league, if it is a pure strategy league, I'd think being able to cook up custom teams quickly could actually be beneficial, since it would force people to change strategy often, thus opening the door for more original and creative strategies to be discovered, since using the same old shit over and over won't work.

Just my $0.02

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 08-22-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beckachu and Pikacharma,
Thank you for your MegaMem input, ladies, maybe MegaMems just don't like girls with pika or chu in their names...

Beckachu,
Hey, you're a trainer, nevermind f your pokémon have bad genes, I still respect you.

Pikacharma,
...well, no, no duplication, that is also cheating...
The thing is that the league is not a Strategist game enviroment, it is a Trainer game enviroment, it will use all the aspects of the game instead of just one...
I can see why Training in league time only is a pain, and it is clear that not all MegaMems are stable, so, what I'm considering doing is allowed certain trainers I trust to train outside league time and just check on them once in a while.
I just really don't want any Strategists in this league, I want players that want to play the game by the rules...
Thank you for your input...

- - - - -
"Pokemon, no matter what anyone says, is not just about link battles. PBS is not Pokemon." -Mr. K

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-23-2001 09:02 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've never moved the switch on my MegaMem. I always turn it on and off and do the saving when the switch is towards the outside (away from the center of the card); I assume that must be "on"?

I just checked the instructions, and they say that is indeed "on". They also say that you're supposed to switch it on before starting the Gameboy, but there's nothing about where the switch should be when you turn it off.

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 08-23-2001 07:12 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HEY! From thoe of you who had their game erased, please post how often you used the MegaMem and if the gameyou erased was touched either by Missingno or a hacking device...I might be up to something here...

- - - - -

Quetzalcoatl
Farting Nudist
Member # 411

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 10:47 PM      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My MegaMem has never failed me so far. I leave it on when I turn off the Gameboy...nothing happens for me.

- - - - -
"I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

From: WTF Capital of U.S of A | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beckachu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1785

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2001 04:11 PM      Profile for Beckachu     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
HEY! From thoe of you who had their game erased, please post how often you used the MegaMem and if the gameyou erased was touched either by Missingno or a hacking device...I might be up to something here...

I had 78 saves the first time, and about 15 the second. No Missingno, I wouldn't dare. my sis lost several games cos she found that. And I don't save sharked games on my MegaMem.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know you could get 78 saves on one of those things.

Anyway, I use the MegaMem almost exclusively as a backup, so if it fails, I can just make a new backup. It's only there so if my beloved Blue cart dies, Wiggly & Co. aren't history.

Still, after reading all these horror stories, I am picking up another MegaMem, just to be double-secret sure that I don't lose my Special Little Guys.

That's worth 7 bucks to me.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Beckachu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1785

Member Rated:
posted 09-09-2001 03:32 PM      Profile for Beckachu     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, I didn't know you could get 78 saves on one of those things.

I've had up to 92...its meant to go up to 100 but only with 1b saves or something...

I now keep my best pokemon on pokesta1 so I don't lose em .

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 09-09-2001 08:12 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When they went to $5 at Wal*Mart, I picked up two extra ones, as I figure it'll be awhile before I see a deal like that again.

None of mine have had issues (knock on processed wood substance in hopes of waking whatever friendly wood spirits didn't get too mangled during manufacturing).

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 09-09-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bought my Mega Memory Card in the first place after turning on my Yellow Version one day and my saved game was just "gone."

I didn't gameshark or anything, it was just gone. That's when I got the MegaMemory Card, and I have used it quite a bit.

It has never erased my game. The only problem it has (or at least I've had with it) is that it doesn't give 100% accuracy on when it's full...

For example, the bar at the bottom that shows how much memory has been used up and how much remains, if that bar is already pretty full, don't back up anymore. I did that once, and was kinda depending on that save file to be there later, well it wasn't. It's cause it ACTED like there was enough room to save and store it, but, after you turn the megamemory card off and back on again, it didn't save it.

I have had other troubles with some of them, but, you just gotta hold the connection between the cart and the MMC together with your hands...

In other words, some have given me trouble, but nothing severe, they are a good "insurance policy" incase your save data on your catridge goes bye bye like it has for me before...

PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 09-15-2001 03:55 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Dreamer:

Used: Seven times.

Time 1. Used on Yellow cart. No Missingno, no Sharking. Deleted save file, but successfully backed it up and restored it.

Time 2. Used on Yellow cart. No Missingno, no Sharking. Deleted save file, did not successfully back it up. Was unable to restore this save file or the other one.

Time 3. Used on Blue cart. Lots of sharking. Contact with Missingno, but didn't catch. Backed up successfully, did not wipe save file.

Time 4. Restored old Yellow save file (from time 1) to Blue cart. Was glitchy, but successful.

Time 5. Used on Red cart. No Missingno, No Sharking. Backed up successfully, did not wipe save file.

Time 6. Backed up Blue cart. ((In other words, used Mega Mem on yellow in Time 1, restored on blue in Time 4, used Mega Mem to back up new Blue file in Time 6.)) Backed up successfully, did not wipe save file.

Time 7. Used to restore blue save (from Time 6) on Red cart. Restored successfully, but was also glitchy.

The only time the mega mem seemed to mess up was when the Yellow cart was involved. However, the Yellow cart never proved to be defective in any way. It just didn't seem to be very compatible with the Mem card.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 09-16-2001 09:08 AM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm,the only time my game got erased,it was yellow on stadium,and an eraed box (?) on stadium.My megamem never failed (only an accidental reset...)
This thing takes a lot on batteries (it was messed up recently,until i changed the batteries)
small question:how long a megamem will keep saves without beeing used?

EDIT:RAAAAAAAAAH,after verification,the megamem is still glitched.Cleaned the cotacts:same prob:The GB starts,i have the megamem logoand it won't go further.When It's off,trying to play a game,it doesn't do much.The thingy seems dead.
NOTE:never stop it while working...

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: D-Teclis ]

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.