The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » This Summer's Big Code Discovery?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This Summer's Big Code Discovery?
Footitch
Farting Nudist
Member # 663

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2001 12:18 PM      Profile for Footitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many of you know about Meowth346's website/board, but I found an interesting topic concerning something I'd like to further investigate:
http://pub2.ezboard.com/fpokeforfrm31.showMessage?topicID=166.topic
Let me take out the important parts for those of you who care not to read:

Meowth346: Look at this page that I made back in early 2000! It was supposed to include all of the maps not used in Pokémon Gold and Silver, including the Safari Zone and the original area around Mt. Silver. I think that there was even a Viridian Forest in there (similar to the one from the Red/Blue versions).
Meowth346: it woul probably take me a good ten minutes to make Gameshark codes to warp to any of these unused maps.
Meowth346: This has been tested with my brother's N64 Gameshark Pro v3.3 (I think). Start playing Stadium GS with the Code Generator on. FLY to Pallet Town.

Use the code generator to do a 16 Byte Known Value search for the number "03331".

You'll get about 20 to 35 results or so. Look for a result around "8012**870". It seems to be in a different place every time.

Change that value to "00357".

Enter Red's house. You'll be in a building. If you take the south exit, you'll be in Fuschia City, standing on the entrance to the Safari Zone where a door was in Red/Blue. If you exit through the north, instead, you'll be in the Safari Zone.

When in the Safari Zone, do NOT save! You can't exit, and you can't use FLY to get out!

Major Props to Meowth346 for finding all this, I hope he doesn't mind me posting what he said.

Well, I really don't feel like spending 30$ to upgrade my gs to a 3.3 pro, and besides, I don't have Stadium GS. So now, that leaves a challenge for all you great cheaters out there... make the codes to warp to these new areas. For the Gameboy, that is.

Oh, and to clarify the title of this topic for the newer members: Last summer, we all found out about Glitch City, and it became pretty big here at one point, IIRC. I'd like to see how this evolves. Good luck, everyone.

------------------
"I had a dream once, that I had a hair coming out of my ass, so I reached in, and pulled out a squirrel!"

-Buddy, an ass in my class.

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 06-18-2001 01:46 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Footitch:
Meowth346: it woul probably take me a good ten minutes to make Gameshark codes to warp to any of these unused maps.

The Gold/Silver generic teleport/dig codes have been found and are in my new FAQ, at http://www.dreamwater.net/hanzou/faq.txt

quote:
Originally posted by Footitch:
Change that value to "00357".

357 (decimal) = 0x165 (hex)

So here's the complete code to dig to the unused Safari Zone on GameBoy.

0101F3D9
0165F4D9

With these codes on, grab a pokemon that knows DIG, take it to cave, and use DIG.

As for those other rooms (Mt. Silver original, Viridian Forest), we'll need to know what the room values are.

------------------
-hanzou

Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2001 07:37 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
:claps:
From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Footitch
Farting Nudist
Member # 663

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Footitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm very proud of my children like hanzou. Good Ass Bomb.
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-20-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is very slick.
From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
FreeZeR
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1878

Member Rated:
posted 06-21-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for FreeZeR   Email FreeZeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder why they didn't include it...

------------------
WeLCoMe To THe FreeZeR

From: O'Fallon, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 06-21-2001 04:22 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You think if Nintendo took the time to program something they would go ahead and use it, especially if the data is still on the catridge waiting to be found by sharkers...
FreeZeR
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1878

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2001 09:49 AM      Profile for FreeZeR   Email FreeZeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That code isn't happy for me...
I flipped it on, "ABRA used TELEPORT..." no such luck. Only for dig? It worked when I used my escape rope, tho...

Also, I converted the other number that Meowth had in his post, "03331" to hex and roped there, expecting to find Pallet Town...ummm, blank map? The converted number was 0D03, in case anyone else wants to try. If the map was blank, you'd think that the game would crash, not make you immobile...maybe this place was a deleted map...

------------------
WeLCoMe To THe FreeZeR

[This message has been edited by FreeZeR (edited 06-22-2001).]

FreeZeR
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1878

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2001 09:58 AM      Profile for FreeZeR   Email FreeZeR   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But, MK, at the same time, they didn't fully program it. No pokčmon can be found in the grass, you can walk straight through the place where you are supposed to go back in to the hallway...but I see your point. Not having a Safari Zone didn't really change the storyline, so why didn't they include it? Maybe they heard about our "Glitch City" and couldn't fix it. Makes one wonder.

------------------
WeLCoMe To THe FreeZeR

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-07-2001 02:11 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Imagine if something could be used to trigger these areas opening. Like, after two hundred hours of gametime or something and once you have Celebi, Viridian Forest will regrow. Or the warden will come back and open the Safari Zone and let you catch stuff once you get something over the mobile adapter.

That'd rock. But it isn't likely.

Also, is there a Pewter Museum and Underground Road areas somewhere in the code?

(My apologies for bringing up an old post, but this is interesting. )
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 10-07-2001 09:44 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No apologies necessary Uiru, it is still a topic of interest. I seriously hope to get into designing video/computer games somewhere in my career, maybe even at Nintendo. Anyway, if I ever DO get somewhere high up enough to have input on the games themselves, I guess I can try to convience them to put super hidden neat stuff like that in there. Like Uiru said, play 200 hours, have all stuff Safari Zone reopens, etc...

This is what I think would really be the coolest. Have it where that once you have done about everything, completed Pokédex, etc... each time you run into a Wild Pokémon, I guess there could be a one in 80 zillion chance of Celebi appearing, I mean, make it super hard, but, still possible, so, the die hard fan CAN actually catch it. It really isn't fair that Mew and Celebi cannot be obtained on any version by ANY legal means...

Like, there should be some TEST that is super difficult to achieve, but, if you pull it off, you get Celebi/Mew. Like, somehow prove to Gameboy/Stadium that you own all versions, Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver (maybe if the trainer names are all the same, and isn't a common name like Ash. Then it could say "You are a Pokémon Master, here, take this. and then they could either downright give you mew/celebi or a G/S ball.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 10-09-2001 02:23 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you guys have any idea how many unused maps are in that game? In GSC, they actually outnumber the used maps, although several are straight copies of used maps without their event pointers correct. Just, search the 'net for Goldmap, give it a ROM, and start mucking around looking for maps. You'd be suprised. There are a lot of maps and tilesets you can't get to, even with a Gameshark, becuase it's in the HEX of the ROM but never loaded to RAM, AFAIK.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 10-09-2001 12:53 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks Tghost for the insight, I didn't know there were that many unused maps. What a waste...

- - - - -
Passion or coincidence
Once prompted you to say
"Pride will tear us both apart"
Well now pride's gone out the window
Cross the rooftops, run away
Left me in the vacuum of my heart

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Hey, thanks Tghost for the insight, I didn't know there were that many unused maps. What a waste...

Not really. Most of the maps could be left over from RBY. The game engine is the same, and they would have just copied the maps from RBY and edited them slightly.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Footitch
Farting Nudist
Member # 663

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2001 08:30 PM      Profile for Footitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GAME ENGINE is totally different from GAME PLAY. They redid all the maps. Know your shit, ass bomb.

- - - - -
Yeah, you smash those buttons you beat that thing!

theclaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
posted 10-12-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for theclaw   Author's Homepage   Email theclaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A game engine is the core data that the game MUST have to be playable such as movement physics and graphics/sound formats. RBY and GSC are not very different in this case. Same with the Pokemon Stadium series.

Couldn't someone hack the ROM to use these maps semi-properly and then make a patch for it? It would be legal this way. (Or just go to Karp Park because almost anything is allowed there)

- - - - -
Come to my web site at http://geocities.com/theclaw135 . My message board is at http://pub081.ezboard.com/btheclaw135selectriccastle.

From: Pokemon World | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 10-12-2001 05:57 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It'd be exteremely difficult to hack into the ROM to enable these maps, some of them are not properly on map banks and therefore cannot have a warp link to them, some have no events and it is not possible to give them events without replicating the map onto the end of a map bank, and there's not much room for that. There have been projects to do this, but like most things in the dismal Pokemon hacking community, it's either attepmted by somebody without the skill level, or completed halfway before being abandoned from the sheer time consumption involved, or it's done but not released (or rumoured to done with fake screenshots posted up...either way.)

It is actually legal to distrubute patches for ROMs, but illegal to distrubute ROMs themselves.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.