The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Computer opponents switching pokemon?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer opponents switching pokemon?
JDonald
Farting Nudist
Member # 126

posted 12-29-2000 07:53 PM      Profile for JDonald   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi. Got a couple of questions here.

1. In G/S, do the computer opponents (i.e. the gym leaders) ever switch pokemon like they do in R/B/Y, or do they always keep battling until each pokemon gets knocked out one by one?

2. If there is switching in G/S, can you tell me which trainers I can most predictably get to switch so that I can analyze the hex values of these battles?

These questions themselves don't particularly pertain to Sakaki Tower, but my purpose for asking them is in emulator stuff.

------------------
-jdonald

Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 12-29-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um, Im pretty sure cpu trainers change pokemon. I would try High level trainers to see which ones switch.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

------------------
"The white room is now whiter!"

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 12-30-2000 08:54 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, whenever I battle Bruno, the first thing he does when I start wit Ampharos is to switch to Onix. Every single time I battle him, same thing.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

JDonald
Farting Nudist
Member # 126

posted 12-31-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for JDonald   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried facing off Bruno with a level 100 Ampharos, backed by a level 3 Caterpie, level 100 Quilava, level 32 Venusaur, level 33 Mew, and level 33 Steelix. No avail, Bruno's Hitmontop always just uses DIG or PURSUIT. Here is my test game: [pokemongold.sav broken link removed]

Meowth346, do you have a .SAV emulator file for your saved game? I'm having a lot of trouble pressuring Bruno to switch.

[ 01-13-2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: JDonald ]

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 01-02-2001 12:49 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I find is that when I was facing Kamon or Red (and other trainers), they seem to send out their pokemon in a pattern. This was that they would send out their pokemon so that, if possible, they posess a type advantage over you.

Only three types of trainers switch when I was battling: Jugglers, Bruno, and the Team Rocket Guy with Houndoom.

This switching pattern was like the sending pattern: type advantage first.

For example, when I was facing Red:
I had Venusaur, Red has Pikachu.
Venusaur KOs Pikachu.
Red sends out Espeon (Psychic over Poison).
Venusaur out, Feraligatr in.
Feraligatr is KOed, even though it had Bite (my only Dark attack on my whole team, although 2 Pokés have it).
Blastoise in, KOs Espeon.
Red sends out Venusaur (Solarbeam over Water).
Blastoise out, Charizard in, KOs Venusaur.
Red sends out Blastoise (Water attacks over Fire).
Charizard out, Venusaur in, KOs Blastoise.
The surprising thing was that Red did not send out Charizard (Flamethrower over Grass), but Snorlax.
Venusaur out, Mewtwo in, Mewtwo out, Charizard in, Charizard KOs Snorlax by draining its PP (I love that in GS...)
Red sends out Charizard.
Max Revive on Feraligatr, Charizard out, Feraligatr in, Charizard KOed.

From that we can see that pokemon are sent/switched out mostly based on type advantage, although this will degenerate into fighting the pokemon in order (or, for Kamon, reverse order) at some point.

------------------
Ash: Cheer up, Team Rocket. It's Christmas. I'll give you Pikachu!
Team Rocket: Thanks, twerp...

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 01-03-2001 11:46 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, JDonald, but I don't have any hardware that will allow me to copy saved data to a .sav file, or even copy it to the computer at all.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Fractyl
Farting Nudist
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2001 02:56 AM      Profile for Fractyl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a GameShark Online, would it work if I uploaded a Snapshot of Meowth's situation for you to download?

------------------
Call me mint jelly, cause I'm on the lamb!

From: Wetlands of Langley B.C. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 01-05-2001 12:43 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YES. I have the GameShark 3.1. The opponents move is decided before you choose yours in battle, so please send me a snapshot at the FIGHT/PKMN/PACK/RUN menu. You can give me a link or email to hanzou@archaeologist.com

Thanks,

------------------
-hanzou (formerly known as jdonald)

Fractyl
Farting Nudist
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
posted 01-05-2001 04:43 PM      Profile for Fractyl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alright, I took the snapshot and it can be found at
www.geocities.com/fractyl.geo/silvershot.zip

------------------

hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 01-07-2001 01:01 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fractyl, I tried loading that snapshot into my GameShark and couldn't get it to work. I notice the size of the unzipped .GBS file is 57,363 bytes. But all Gold/Silver snapshot .GBS files that I create or can load back into my GameShark are 90,131 bytes. Perhaps your snapshot upload didn't fully complete? If so, could you send me another snapshot? If you are able to load the original 57,363 byte file back into your GameShark, or if all your snapshots turn out to be 57,363 bytes, then I guess our hardwares are incompatible.

[This message has been edited by hanzou (edited 01-07-2001).]

Fractyl
Farting Nudist
Member # 1311

Member Rated:
posted 01-13-2001 02:38 AM      Profile for Fractyl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry this took so long. I tried several different Snapshots with my Silver and my bro's Gold and I got the same size file everytime.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.