The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » The lowdown on MISSINGNO. - Breakthrough discovery revealed

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The lowdown on MISSINGNO. - Breakthrough discovery revealed
necrosaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1056

Member Rated:
posted 10-17-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for necrosaro   Author's Homepage   Email necrosaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just discovered this forum, so i think i'll post some research i'd done on MISSINGNO. a looooooong time ago (probably like a year):

The reason MISSINGNO. comes up is because when you're surfing on the coast after having done whatever, the game boy only checks the RAM where the random level data is usually stored, not the ROM. So when you talk to the old man/trade a pokemon/i dunno any other stuff, those things use this section of RAM and since you don't change an area by walking (that little pause when you enter/exit a town and stuff), the game doesn't re-check the ROM for those values.

Now for the good stuff. When you talk to the old man, the battle sequence loads up your name and your rival's name into this magical section of RAM, plus a divider in between the two. In my game it loaded up "GARY/JOHN/N", where the / is 0x50...then i think it's whatever data was left there from your previous battles.
here's the breakdown of how the game uses your names in its random battle thing:
-i don't think it uses the G.
the A, Y, J, H, and second / all correspond to the levels of random pokemon.
The R, /, O, N, and N all correspond to the corresponding types of random pokemon.

Know what this means?
this means that you can get a wide of pokemon to show up while surfing the coast just by changing your name! There's anything from Level 245 Mewtwos (Use the female sign and D as the second and third chars of your name) to tons of new undiscovered MISSINGNO.'s (just use G or H instead of D)!
Maybe some people can have fun with this.

(btw - missingno always shows up while surfing the coast because 0x50 corresponds to the missingno. that is 80th in the list, and the game always sticks that in there...)

oh, BTW, the location in ROM of the "traditional" missingno.'s stats is at 39FC4h. i didn't take any notes and i don't feel like finding out its max stats and skills learned and all that good stuff right now, or even why they're at that address.

Also, Game Shark modify values that are stored in save game files? If so, the addresses of the random battle pokemon data in the save game file is 2B34. maybe someone can convert that to a Shark code or something - i don't own a game shark.

any questions, just ask. i want to test this out myself also, so i might post a reply about my results.

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 10-17-2000 10:18 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you discovered how to unlock a mew?

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-17-2000 10:45 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't be done b/c the character than would correspond with Mew doesn't exist. At least, that's my understanding of it.

------------------
Rysto

O_O

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-18-2000 11:42 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sounds similar to Mewtwosama's page on this kind of thing.... I don't remember the post, but if he sees this he'll probably refresh us....

The big question (to many) is whether there is some kind of way to catch a Mew without a shark: him being monster 15 doesn't help much though.

It's been quite awhile since this was brought up, so my memory on the whole thing is hazy... I'm not sure if it was totally resolved or what have you...

------------------
-cfalcon

Infinite copies of this message also available through type BIRD.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 10-18-2000 02:05 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn, I cant rmember anything about Missingno anymore.

quote:
The reason MISSINGNO. comes up is because when you're surfing on the coast after having done whatever, the game boy only checks the RAM where the random level data is usually stored, not the ROM. So when you talk to the old man/trade a pokemon/i dunno any other stuff, those things use this section of RAM and since you don't change an area by walking (that little pause when you enter/exit a town and stuff), the game doesn't re-check the ROM for those values.

Mostly mumbo jumbo to me.

quote:
Now for the good stuff. When you talk to the old man, the battle sequence loads up your name and your rival's name into this magical section of RAM, plus a divider in between the two. In my game it loaded up "GARY/JOHN/N", where the / is 0x50...then i think it's whatever data was left there from your previous battles.
here's the breakdown of how the game uses your names in its random battle thing:
-i don't think it uses the G.
the A, Y, J, H, and second / all correspond to the levels of random pokemon.
The R, /, O, N, and N all correspond to the corresponding types of random pokemon.

This is some of the stuff I had cracked.

quote:
Know what this means?
this means that you can get a wide of pokemon to show up while surfing the coast just by changing your name! There's anything from Level 245 Mewtwos (Use the female sign and D as the second and third chars of your name) to tons of new undiscovered MISSINGNO.'s (just use G or H instead of D)!
Maybe some people can have fun with this.

Yeah, knew this too. Before I got my shark, I used to train against 230+ level Mewtwo along Cinnabar.
My Red game Trainer has a very weird name with those symbols and "D"'s all over the place.

quote:
(btw - missingno always shows up while surfing the coast because 0x50 corresponds to the missingno. that is 80th in the list, and the game always sticks that in there...)

80 is funny. When you use the in-game trading version of Missingno, Missingno shows up at level 80.

The old man version reflects your name.
(common knowledge)

quote:
oh, BTW, the location in ROM of the "traditional" missingno.'s stats is at 39FC4h. i didn't take any notes and i don't feel like finding out its max stats and skills learned and all that good stuff right now, or even why they're at that address.

Also, Game Shark modify values that are stored in save game files? If so, the addresses of the random battle pokemon data in the save game file is 2B34. maybe someone can convert that to a Shark code or something - i don't own a game shark.

More mumbo jumbo.
I barely know how to type in codes.
I have no ability to manipulate data.

------------------
MewtwoSama
A viscous, Psychic Pokemon that was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. It's DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, it's size and disposition are vastly different. It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies. It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash it's full power in battle.

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
][ Candy
Farting Nudist
Member # 214

Member Rated:
posted 10-18-2000 10:34 PM      Profile for ][ Candy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is all old news to me. I saw it on some web site a looong time back. (It was explained much better, too.) I just hope you aren't copy/pasting a ton of info. Also, it's stupid to change you're name to some silly code just to get some pokemon ( XPn wants to fight!) That's what gamesharks are for!

------------------
Go... Candy! Lovely Kiss! Dream eater! Ice Beam!

[This message has been edited by ][ Candy (edited 10-18-2000).]

necrosaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1056

Member Rated:
posted 10-19-2000 09:16 AM      Profile for necrosaro   Author's Homepage   Email necrosaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh well. i didn't know this information was already out there, that must have been a waste of an hour or so then. I'm not exactly entirely caught up on all pokemon-discoveries =P
Well, i'll figure something else to check out then.
(/Kill thread)

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.