The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » External Storage Hardware

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: External Storage Hardware
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2000 09:31 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had any experience with those external game save thingies they sell for the Game Boy. In thinking about how sad I'd be if something happened to my Pokemon while they were loaded into Stadium, I began to consider how fragile my little Pokemon Blue is.

Any recommendations/horror stories?

Frankly, I'd probably be even a little scared to try backing up my game data...stuff like that just makes me nervous and the thought of losing Wiggly forever is heart-breaking.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh my... I don't want to think about ever losing my lvl 100 Exeggutor. That would be tragic.(It takes SO long to get them to lvl 100)

------------------

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Windex
I am the greatest human being ever. It is impossible to insult me.
Member # 9

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2000 10:03 PM      Profile for Windex   Email Windex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had one of Interact's Mega Memory Cards for a few months, and it seems to work pretty good. It hasn't failed on me yet, so I think that one would be worth the money.

------------------
-Windex

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2000 10:45 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone downloaded my red game last saturday
My game had a hard time working on its own on my gameboy, but it still wokred.

The guy who downloaded my game said those MegaMemory Cards suck up power like crazy.

------------------
MewtwoSama
It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. It's DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, it's size and disposition are vastly different.

AIM: MewtwoSama
E-mail: mewtwo@ureach.com

Mew! Meow! Grrrrr!

The key to a good offense is a strong defense

Ethics are stupid, they only get in the way of winning

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slick 66
Farting Nudist
Member # 70

Member Rated:
posted 03-06-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for Slick 66   Email Slick 66   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe it, but I usually play with a wall outlet or rechargable pak anyway....

------------------
~Slick has spoken~
Every year more women become pregnant than men.

ZZTRaider
Farting Nudist
Member # 86

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2000 07:07 AM      Profile for ZZTRaider   Email ZZTRaider   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go with the Mega Memory Card. Hey, I've used it to get 4-6 copies of earthquake and blizzard (required trading). But the downside to that was, now I have 6 Blastoise's. 1 on yellow, 1 on red (that I began the game with), and 4 duplicates of my yellow one on red...

------------------
ZZTRaider
zztraider@hotmail.com

From: A Long, Long Time Ago; In A Galaxy Far, Far Away | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Farting Nudist
Member # 58

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2000 08:50 AM      Profile for Stephen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
Has anyone had any experience with those external game save thingies they sell for the Game Boy.

I've got a Mega Memory card, and it works very well. I use it to make periodical backups of my Pokesaves.

Here's another good use for one - if you're like me, you find low-power, high-PP moves like Thundershock and Water Gun useful when training. However, you probably want to replace them with more defensive moves in a link match. So, keep the high-PP moves, but back your game up before a match. Then teach the defensive TMs to your Pokemon. After the match, you can restore the game from the backup and keep training your little darlings with the high-PP moves.

That's irrelevant if all your Pokemon are at L100, but if you have some lower-level Pokemon that you battle against similarly lower-level Pokemon, you might find it helpful.

-Stephen

From: Merrie Olde Englande | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2000 09:11 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good advice, guys, I'll probably be picking up a Mega Memory Card when I get Stadium tomorrow.

------------------
KOFFING!

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2000 08:13 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone, I now have a Mega Memory Card. It turns out that I could have just used Stadium to back up my Pokemon, but the Card is really easy to use and I think saving the whole game will give me lots of peace of mind.

...and maybe 3 extra PP for Wiggly's Body Slam, but you didn't hear me say that...

------------------
KOFFING!

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2000 05:00 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the world of us "cheaters", Mr. K.

I promise you won't regret your purchase: Now you can start over and play through without having to do all sorts of nonsense. It's like having the extra savefiles Nintendo decided you shouldn't have, but much better.

You can try to separate the two, but my MegaMem and my Shark are my two good buddies for testing and in general: I've backed up all of my games multiple times, but I try to keep the save I want (the primary, non-testing variant) for each loaded up at all times, in case the MegaMem fails.

Next step is for you to buy a GameShark. I was about to suggest you buy both, and back up your blue, then start over with:
01371ED1

(you would leave GS switch off until you are about to select your first pokemon, switch it on, pick the monster, then immediately turn it off and save. Then you would have a L5 Koffing as your starter. Really all you shouldn't do is walk into battle with that code switched on)

Have fun,

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2000 02:59 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I'll hold off on the Shark for now. The temptation to just max stat my Koffing would be too great.

By the way, in Stadium, my Koffing has proved amazingly useful. He's got Thunderbolt, so I use him as my Electric Pokemon and he's got Explosion, which is really effective.

Weezing must be terrific. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen a Weezing in battle yet.

My Koffing has krappy stats and no Haze, tho, so I'm in the market for a new one...

At any rate, it's so cool to play with no chance of a Mewtwo (at least for now).

Every one of my Pokemon has saved a battle for me by now...

------------------
KOFFING!

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2001 06:04 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the Mega Memory Card is useful if you don't want to shark, and want 3 or 4 Return TMs. Theoretically it isn't cheating, because it's just like going back in time.

------------------
Absurd length? Poo.

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2001 11:04 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. K,
Watch out for extreme temperatures(leaving it in the car) it can erase all backed up data! Also, with the MegaMem you can switch your pokemon game to another version within the same series, it works like this;
Example:
Save your RED game outside with a pokemon that has FLY.
Back up the data.
Get a BLUE or YELLOW game.
UPLOAD the data to that game.
Everything will be glitchy.
Use FLY to go to any location.
Everything is not glitchy anymore.

This is a way for players to share versions when they don't have enough money to buy all versions in order to catch them all without breaking the rules.
I did it for a while with my friends when we couldn't afford the other versions.
Hope this helps...

------------------
"Come on guys, your mindless comments are making the Dreamer look coherent." -cfalcon

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
FlameBait
Farting Nudist
Member # 235

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for FlameBait   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've got a question on the "sharing game saves with another version" thing. Say I transfer my friends Silver game to my Gold one, and then fly to make it all better. Will it then revert back to the Gold Pokémon catching settings or will it stay Silver's?

------------------
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups!" - Me
"It's not cheating unless you get caught." - Also me
"A life? Where can I download one of those?" - Yup, still me.

From: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-19-2001 03:14 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....I do not know, it might be the new enviroment, I know that it is that way with RED. Lemme do some tests and get back to you...

------------------
"Come on guys, your mindless comments are making the Dreamer look coherent." -cfalcon

[This message has been edited by The Great Dreamer (edited 05-19-2001).]

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
hanzou
Farting Nudist
Member # 1385

posted 06-10-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for hanzou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FlameBait:
I've got a question on the "sharing game saves with another version" thing. Say I transfer my friends Silver game to my Gold one, and then fly to make it all better. Will it then revert back to the Gold Pokémon catching settings or will it stay Silver's?

It will have the settings of the game pak that you transfer to (Gold). You can use this method to play and get your pokedex count much closer to 251 even if you don't have a link cable or GameShark. Likewise, you do this on red/blue/yellow to get your pokedex count much closer to 151.

------------------
-hanzou

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 07:12 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not going to mention any of the many interesting things in this thread in reference to the "Sharking Ethics" thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Mega Memory Cards are only 7 bucks on buy.com now.

Might be even cheaper elsewhere. Considering that just the GB to 64 Transfer Pak is over twice that, it's well worth the money.

I can't even find N64 stuff at the Best Buy any more, and they told me it's getting harder to find all the time, so now's the time to stock up.

PikaCharma
I scanned my boobs and then said I was leaving and never coming back. OOPS!
Member # 2026

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 09:59 PM      Profile for PikaCharma   Author's Homepage   Email PikaCharma   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That whole "share games with other version" dealie...just be careful! I did this out of necessity once ((transferred yellow save to blue cart)), and the end result was rather...well...fucked up. I restored yellow save to blue cart. Looked glitchy at first. Flew to some city. Looked fine. After that, however...

Whenever I flew to Pallet Town, a text message saying "remember to weaken the pokemon before you catch them" appeared on the screen, then the game crashed. The game also crashed whenever I beat the Elite Four. Game deleted itself when I tried to transfer a Squirtle I won on Stadium onto the gamepack. I have yet to try the version switcheroo with G\S\C, so I don't know what the results of that would be, but just for the record, I've seen proof that transfering save files across versions does have the potential to cause some rather oddball results.

- - - - -
Pikacharma's Bottomless Pit -- Vote 4 Mike, see a dead Togepi, and take the Pokemon Purity test!

"There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something made up to scare us kids, like the boogieman or Michael Jackson." -- Bart Simpson

IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 09-06-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have yet to try the version switcheroo with G\S\C, so I don't know what the results of that would be, but just for the record, I've seen proof that transfering save files across versions does have the potential to cause some rather oddball results.

I have done this G->S and S->G, both ways, and they are fine. However, I am almost certain that G->C or S->C would kill you in that every address is someplace different. I may try this in no$gmb before ruining my crystal cart...

Beckachu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1785

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Beckachu     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a MegaMemory card, and it's lost about 100 of my game saves in total as its wiped twice completely, and once partially. I don't trust it with my best saves or pokemon anymore, I keep them on a cartridge with no contact to MegaMem or Gameshark .
IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 09-07-2001 02:17 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, MegaMen erased all of my saves (including my silver version save that I was trying to use to transfer stuff from...) at least
quote:
times!!! And then I'd need to try to start it over about 20-30 times to get it to let me save... You get the gist...

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: IceHawk78 ]

theclaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
posted 09-08-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for theclaw   Author's Homepage   Email theclaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gold and Silver are 100% compatible in every way. Red/Blue and Yellow are not exactly the same like that. Crystal? I won't dare try that!! Remember that in Yellow everything was moved DOWN one location. Not counting the pokemon digits.

- - - - -
Come to my web site at http://geocities.com/theclaw135 . My message board is at http://pub081.ezboard.com/btheclaw135selectriccastle.

From: Pokemon World | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.