The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Help, With Genes!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help, With Genes!
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 07-20-2000 10:41 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, I posted this on the Sakaki Tower, but no one answered yet. So, here goes. What in the world are genes? What do they do? What are they for? And how do you calculate them?
I feel stupid now, but any help would be appreciated.

------------------
I like Moltres, I like Milktank, Meowth mix meowth mix please deliver...
Get it?
Uh, 50 posts and counting.

Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-20-2000 11:49 AM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Genes are DVs... They basically are what determine the individual differences between Pokémon of the same species. Calculating them accurately isn't possible unless you catch them at level 50 or above, otherwise they round.

Determing them isn't too important, but you can do it for monsters with no stat exp at least by a bit of algebra...

------------------

From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-21-2000 01:47 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When you catch a monster, a 16 bit value is randomly generated. This means the gameboy pulls a number somewhere between 0 and 65535 out of its electronic ass. We currently believe that all numbers are equally likely: at the same time, a concentrated study would doubtless reveal statistical errors, as it uses a psuedorandom table almost assuredly (don't encrypt state secrets with it, or generate one time pads!).

This number is stored with your monster, is one of many factors that determines your stats at any given moment. I'm not going to go into detail here about the other sources (that's posted plenty of places), but I'll talk about the genes:

You have five genes, one for each statistic. Each one ranges from 0-15 (a four bit value). The amount of points any given stat gets from it's respective gene value is proportional with your level divided by 50: basically twice your level. So a level 100 monster with an attack gene of 15 has an attack 30 points higher than if it had been zero.

You can figure out your monsters genes by controlling all the variables in the formula except the gene value itself: this means either none or full stat EXP (so you will get the 63 points at level 100 or not) and a chart (like at greycloak's skills/statfinder at http://skill-statfinder.virtualave.net/ssf/ ) to refer to the base value and then find out what it would have to be.

A popular thing is to rare candy your monster to Level 50 (so that it has no stat EXP, as it never fought in a battle), then just subtract the base score... you can see this by looking at the formulas here: http://www.geocities.com/marcusmajarra/mechanics.html .

Here's the other confusing thing. You have a 16 bit value, right? Let's label the bits:

0123456789ABCDEF

Now, if you count, you will find 16 bits there. Bits 0,1,2 and 3 go in that order to form your attack gene. Bits 4,5,6 and 7 go in that order to form your defense gene. Bits 8,9,A, and B go in that order to form your speed gene, and bits C,D,E, and F go in that order to form your special gene. Because they needed one more, they reused bits alread used: bits 3,7,B, and F are used in that order for your hitpoint gene. This means you can't have a monster that has max attack, defense, speed, and special without also having max hitpoints.

Note that bits 3,7,B, and F also determine whether the attack, defense, speed, and special genes are odd or even (a "1" makes them odd and gives you more hitpoints). Having every bit of the 16 (a 1/65536 chance shot) equal to "1" means that you get max stats.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. I'm moving this back to Sakaki tower, where I plain old didn't see it

By the way, I assume you want to know how to modify them with gameshark (it seems to be popular , plus you originally posted here). The basic max stats page is here: http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/weird/maxstats.htm , but you may have already known that.

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

[This message has been edited by cfalcon (edited 07-21-2000).]

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.