The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » About that Pokémon ROM link....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About that Pokémon ROM link....
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2000 07:47 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got the program but I don't have an emulator or ROM yet, I know were to get those 2 but, if there's no one to play with I'm not going to bother training a whole new pack of pokémon! That's alot of work.
Also, since a ROM would be more accurate than PBS, why is the big Battle of the Boards tournament in PBS instead of Yellow ROMs?

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kobayashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 313

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2000 02:36 PM      Profile for Kobayashi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because ROMS are illegal, and quite a few people have issues over breaking the law. PBS i think would still be breaking some copyright laws (the use of names and pictures) it isn't an exact copy of the game.

------------------
"I don't hate the man, but I pity the fool" - Mr. T

Charmeleon411
Farting Nudist
Member # 99

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for Charmeleon411     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because:
1. Those ROMs are slow as molases
2. They allow infinate stat modifying

------------------
"I gave you all a plate of corn muffins to rate my team..."
-Charmeleon411-

Magician Type 0
Farting Nudist
Member # 293

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2000 11:34 PM      Profile for Magician Type 0     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hate to break it to you, but it's illegal no matter what.

Like that's gonna stop me. ';'

------------------
ALL HAIL THE PIG MONKEY!
Inventor of The Magician Bro, Co-Inventor of The Argoape Type 0 and Founder of the FUOA (Flash Users of America)
AIM: Magician Type 0 | Come see my Work at GameFAQs | PBS Logs
- "All flying moves! Aw, cool!" --My friend, looking at a Pidgeot
- "He's going out with the cutest Eevee" -Me, on my Magician Bro

AtomicMew
Farting Nudist
Member # 41

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for AtomicMew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that's what nintendo WANTS you to think. They can't do anything about it, without them breaking the law, or you giving them permission to search your computer. So no worry!

------------------
AIM: ShyftZ
-Atomic Mew

AtomicMew
Farting Nudist
Member # 41

Member Rated:
posted 06-08-2000 05:29 AM      Profile for AtomicMew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fanha:
Don't be STUPID people! It's sad those of you who think ROMs are legal 24 hours, as backup, yada yada...you're just rationalizing.
yah, that's right.
This comes directly from Nintendos legal department ( http://www.nintendo.com/corp/faqs/legal.html ):

[b]What are ROMS?

A ROM ("Read Only Memory") is the type of chip used in Nintendo's video game cartridge which contains the game software. However, this term is commonly used on many gaming sites on the Internet that refers to game data that was copied from an authentic video game cartridge.

Are all ROMS on the Internet Illegal?

All ROMs published for play on Nintendo hardware and available on the Internet are unauthorized and infringing copies of copyrighted works.

Can I Download a ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. That is utterly ridiculous and legally unsupported. Therefore, whether you have the authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of the ROM for a limited amount of time (24 hours), it is illegal and infringing of a copyright to download and play a ROM from the Internet.

The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction to the authentic. It is well established by judicial decisions in the United States that this limited exception does not apply to game data contained in ROM semiconductor chips in video game cartridges.
uh huh!
What is a Video Game Emulator?

An emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for. The emulator software allows for console based or arcade games to be played on personal computers. The video games are obtained by downloading illegally copied software, ROMs, from Internet distributors. The ROMs then work with the emulator to enable game play on the computer.

How Does Nintendo Feel About the Emergence of Video Game Emulators?

The introduction of video game emulators represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers. As is the case with any business or industry, when its products become available for free, the revenue stream supporting that industry is threatened. Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.
They're rich enough! Those greedy bastards!
This is not the same people that put out Pokemon information; this is not a bluff and the information is correct.

And plus, with the ROM, you can't get a log, so you don't have any proof of victory.

Oh and BTW, if they have reason to suspect you have ROMs/Emulators in your possession, they CAN decide to hold an investigation, and thus can obtain a search warrent. An don't think deleting the stuff from your computer is all it takes; they usually bring in data recovery professionals if the data appears to be missing. Don't kid yourself about stuff like that; always realize what you face when you use ROMs/Emulators.
A little low level erase would do the trick.... or a small little magnet
[/B]

------------------
AIM: ShyftZ
-Atomic Mew

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-11-2000 12:31 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nor the police department nor the Federal law enforcement department will take in priority or seriously doing a bust on someone's computer for this.
You never hear of "ROM" busts or of anyone being encarcerated for it.
This is not serious enough, there's criminals out there and things more important to do than going through all the expensive paperwork to assign a warrant and an officer to enforce it and arrest a little kid or an adult for playing a little videogame in their computer and Nintendo is not going to sue anyone if is not profitable because corporate lawyers are very expensive.
I know all this because a friend of mine works for the FBI based here in Vegas(The FBI building is right next to the Mason temple in Charleston BLVD, creepy) and I asked him when I got a copy Rygar for the NES. Not to mention that the tax paying public will chew the police department if they knew that their tax money is going to busting people that play ROM videogames in their computer rather than doing something that really matter. Taxpayers do not care about helping a videogame company that is worried about their game being copied, they care about jobs, their life, their values ect, ect.

Bobby just downloaded Pokémon Yellow ROM and an emulator....2 weeks go by and on a Sunday night, while training his onix he hears a loud knocking and a man shouting "Police! OPEN UP NOW!" Bobby is thinking"WTF!" his parents are asleep so they are trying to wake up as fast as possible, before Bobby's mom opens the door, 2 agents bust it open with a battering ram, they are armed "GET ON THE FLOOR! NOW! We have a warrant to search the premisses!" Bobby and his family hit the floor terrorized and here comes a man in a business suit, get's on Bobby's computer and downloads some information while Bobby and his parents get handcuffed...

This story is exagerated, but sometimes you have to use exageration to proove a point.

Is silly to think that someone will get busted for this, is just plain silly.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-11-2000 03:05 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've been through this before. It is guaranteed by law (at least in the US) that everyone has the right to make one backup copy of any software that they own. Video games are software. That FAQ on Nintendo's site is a scare tactic, pure and simple.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.