The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » What's your opinion of: (drumroll) Emulation?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your opinion of: (drumroll) Emulation?
Magician Type 0
Farting Nudist
Member # 293

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2000 03:29 AM      Profile for Magician Type 0     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, what is it? I'm not really bothered by it anymore...

Also, out of curiousity, does anyone use N64 emus?

------------------
ALL HAIL THE PIG MONKEY!
Inventor of The Magician Bro, Co-Inventor of The Argoape Type 0 and Founder of the FUOA (Flash Users of America)
AIM: Magician Type 0
ICQ Nick: Mga Tp 0
Number: 45597626
Email: webmaster@casog.zzn.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/4615.html
PBS Logs
- I'm not insane. I just hear voices. And the aliens are stealing my thoughts.
- "He's going out with the cutest Eevee" -Me, on my Magician Bro

JHExeggutor
Farting Nudist
Member # 424

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2000 05:29 AM      Profile for JHExeggutor   Author's Homepage   Email JHExeggutor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I use No$Gmb for testing purposes, so I don't ruin my blu cart.

------------------
Yes, it is JHExeggutor 2k Platinum from the UPN. Happy?
HaVe A nIcE dAy!

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2000 05:34 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Well, anyone can legitimately gripe about people playing games they have no right to be playing, as such a thing is piracy. I don't have a big problem with that so much, but I respect the opinion of those who do.

I do feel that the act of downloading publicly posted illegal ROMs *needs* to be illegal for the industry to continue to function. This will not stop people (such as even myself) from downloading ROMs and using them. Such acts *must* be against the law, however, or videogame companies have no reason to create software.

Simply put, copyrights are a good thing, without which the world would not go round, and they should be respected by the law and by all of the people, most of the time.

This will insure nice meaty profit incentive to companies.

At the same time, it is nice to finally have games done right. It took emulation to bring an arcade perfect version of Pacman to the household. There have been literally hundreds of versions, all trash compared to the true version. Different AI, different patters, some even had different ANIMATIONS (Microsoft blushes).

I won't say something two faced like "emulating dead systems is ok, but live systems bad", but I will say that in one case you don't deprive people of profit, and in the other you risk big lawsuits if you are a ROM distributer. Additionally, you force the hand of large companies whose profits you are threatening.

Plus it really is nice to play it for real. After playing all the Megamen on Nesticle several years ago, I was driven to hunt down the carts. I would still buy an arcade Pacman if I had the money and space. I enjoy owning the cartridge. Most of us do.

What really gets me are the people who feel that emulators (and emulator authors) are the problem. It is not and never will be wrong to write a program to simulate the effects of another finite state machine, or to process another machine's opcodes intelligently. All that is is an example of good interpreting software. Any who claim otherwise are lying to you or misinformed.

Anyway, that's most of my opinion on emulation...

I don't emulate N64. It just isn't the same. It may look prettier, but it isn't the same...

Maybe I will someday.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 3945' N, 10452' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Caos2
Farting Nudist
Member # 104

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2000 07:14 AM      Profile for Caos2   Email Caos2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well,

I aprove emulators for testing, for playing OLD game or playing a cart that you lost.

But when it comes to emulation of consoles that doesn`t give profit, I totally aprove it. Come on! Don`t you think that when someone of a company see that many people are downloading roms of *insert-OLD-console* they fell nice?

Let me quote this guy from Phantasy Star forum:

"Also, for the sega smash pack, sega of america hired the author of the genisis emulator Kgen to make a windows port of Kgen, and they bundled it along with PS2 and some others into that."

See? Sega HIRED a guy that wrote an emulator!

"There's also a rather amusing urban legend circulating around the net about an email the author of the master system emulator massage once received. According to legend, it was a congratulation letter from someone high up in sega of america, saying how happy many of them were to see so much interest still in such an old system, but one very close to their hearts. Whether it's true or not, it's a neat story ^_^"

Isn`t Sega the greatest?

"Sega seems to view the emulation comunity more as a proving grounds for ideas and talent than something to be fought"

We can confirm this with my comment on the first quote [about hiring the guy that wrote an emulator].

Caos2

------------------
Slayer of Monsters, Avenger of the Wronged, and Lover of Easy Women.

From: Belo Horizonte | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Magician Type 0
Farting Nudist
Member # 293

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2000 02:45 PM      Profile for Magician Type 0     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I think people who could get the cart should before the emulate it.

Also, why are emus legal? They're worthless without ROMs. Why can people copyright them? Meh...

------------------
ALL HAIL THE PIG MONKEY!
Inventor of The Magician Bro, Co-Inventor of The Argoape Type 0 and Founder of the FUOA (Flash Users of America)
AIM: Magician Type 0
ICQ Nick: Mga Tp 0
Number: 45597626
Email: webmaster@casog.zzn.com
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/4615.html
PBS Logs
- I'm not insane. I just hear voices. And the aliens are stealing my thoughts.
- "He's going out with the cutest Eevee" -Me, on my Magician Bro

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-25-2000 10:24 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Dont' be a fool. You can't copyright logic! All an emulator does is duplicate the logical functions done by another microprocessor. So, much like Java, all it does is read opcodes, figure out what they mean (for instance, an opcode telling a processor to load the A register with 12 will be read by an emulator as knowing to fill the memory slot representing register A with a twelve), and execute local code that duplicates the effect of the foreign code.

Plus, the companies all have emulators on their design equipment.

You can, of course, use copyrights so that no one copies your chip design, but if you could own the entire opcode set then Intel would have a straight monopoly (while AMD doesn't make a software emulator, you can be sure as shit that it would be viewed as a "hardware emultor" of a copyrighted Intel chip in a heartbeat by Intel's lawyers).

Java would also be an emulator, it would just emulate nonexistent hardware

I like emulators. But I wouldn't stop playing my consoles for anything. It just isn't the same. It can't be.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 3945' N, 10452' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-26-2000 09:16 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
I like emulators. But I wouldn't stop playing my consoles for anything. It just isn't the same. It can't be.

What if you could plug you original controllers into your PC?

That's the emu holy grail, as far as I'm concerned...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokmon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Philbo
Farting Nudist
Member # 443

Member Rated:
posted 06-01-2000 05:56 PM      Profile for Philbo   Email Philbo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Emulation is free passtime where you can muck around with the code and have cheap, illegal fun!

------------------
Mewtwo used Blizzard
It's frozen rock solid!
Being unable to move hurts

[This message has been edited by Philbo (edited 06-03-2000).]

From: Kent, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokmon Laboratory

2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.