The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » How to play with your PP.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to play with your PP.
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

It doesn't seem to be kicking around on many FAQs (none that I've seen), so I figured I'd post this:

All moves have what appear to be two main variables associated with them: Max PP and Current PP. Indeed, searching for Current PP will reveal the following codes for Red/Blue (for the top monster):

01XX88D1 -First move
01XX89D1 -Second move
01XX8AD1 -Third move
01XX8BD1 -Fourth move

What is often overlooked is that these four bytes also control the *Max* PP as well. The max PP is referenced from ROM, then a value is added to it based on how many (0-3) PPups you have used. While you can't make Blizzard have a Max PP of, say, 12, you can have it be 5, 6, 7, or 8 (unless you hack the ROM).

How?

I will show the layout of the first byte, the one held at address D188 and referenced by the code 01XX88D1. The example is based on a Blizzard that is at 5/8

1100 0101
or C5.

When it's all out, it looks like:
1100 0000
or C0.

This is because the first two bits reflect exactly how man PPups have been used. Since it is two bits, it can have values ranging from 0 to 3. The remaining 6 reflect the current PPs, which will max out at 63 (I think moves that should be able to reach 64, like defense curl, actually stop at 61...)

So to max out your monsters on PPups, use:

01C088D1 -First move
01C089D1 -Second move
01C08AD1 -Third move
01C08BD1 -Fourth move

and you will have no PPs in any of your moves (until you pokecenter them back).

Or replace all the C0s with FFs, or anything else you want. FF will give you 63 of a move, and max out its PPup counter. 63 will NOT be the max, however: you will have something like 63/8, 63/16, etc.

This can also be used to REMOVE PPups, so you can play in games where "we don't use the old man trick", or whatever.

Maybe you want to struggle faster. I don't know.

010088D1 -First move
010089D1 -Second move
01008AD1 -Third move
01008BD1 -Fourth move

This will nuke all PPups.

Note the value "00". Change it to 40 for 1 PPup on a move, 80 for 2 PPups on a move, and C0 for all three PPups on a move.

Any problems or questions?

(What a fun car ride I had today...)

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 09:59 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool. This Oughta save me a whole lot of Time. *adds codes to big page of codes*.

I'm assuming these are for the Red and Blue Versions of the Game, and the first position...

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2000 06:08 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cfalcon, you're a sicko.
PikaMonkey
Farting Nudist
Member # 414

Rate Member
posted 05-20-2000 12:34 AM      Profile for PikaMonkey   Email PikaMonkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This may not seem relevant, but I've noticed a way in link battles for your current PP to max out to 63! I was wasting time, battling myself in a link battle with my blue/red versions of Pokemon and 2 Game Boys.
I was using my Dragonite to Wrap the opponent when I noticed that every time I switched out the other pokemon, Dragonite would automatically use Wrap again, and its PP would decrease by one. So after I only had one PP left and used Wrap, I made the opponent switch out. I auto-Wrapped again, and its PP displayed 63/20. Strange, huh?
If this post proves anything, it shows how neat stuff can happen when I waste time.

------------------
~PikaMonkey
kya kyi kya kyoo
kaki kuke ko

From: Land O' Lakes, Florida | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2000 04:57 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Slick! It automatically decrements it, and then ANDs the result with 00111111(because it normally only writes to the rightmost six bits, as the leftmost are max PPups only), so that:

0000 0000
- 0000 0001
------------------
= 1111 1111
AND
0011 1111 (00=0 PPups= 20 PP for wrap)
= 0011 1111

= 63!

That is *hilarious*, and a nice glitch.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Thanks for deleting the post, cfalcon!"
-UBB Automessage

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.