The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » G/S code to change Rival's name

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G/S code to change Rival's name
Starmie64
Farting Nudist
Member # 298

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Starmie64     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of a Gameshark code to change your rival's name? I really want something better than "Gary"...

------------------

From: The place with the stuff | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 11:44 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G/S means Gold/Silver, aka metallic pokemon, the only ones of which that exist are in Japanese.

GS is Gameshark.

(That's why I use the term "metallic")

Someone actually posted it. I don't remember where, however. I think it *may* have been JDonald, but it could have been Meowth. Either way, to get the code yourself, use the trainer on your gameshark. Start a New game, and nickname your rival "A". Wait until it puts you in your house, then hit the GS button. Continue trainer, and start a new game (you never saved the game, so don't worry about losing your old one). Name your rival "B". Again, wait until you are home, then hit the GS button, and use the game trainer function to search for greater than ">". After you continue trainer after this, you should continue, using the fact that each time it searches relative to last time and A<B<C<...<Z. So after searching greater than you can name your rival "A" again, then search for less. After a few of these, name the rival the same thing twice in a row, then search for "=" (equal). After this goes on a bit, you should have a code for the first digit in his name.

Actually, if you get it, post it back here, or post the address of the previous string, should you find that...

...sorry that I couldn't be more helpful...

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starmie64
Farting Nudist
Member # 298

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 08:20 PM      Profile for Starmie64     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry about using G/S for Gameshark, it's a bit confusing, I just signed up...Anyway I got the code to change the first letter...

01XX4AD3 (Red/Blue)
01XX4BD3 (2nd letter)
01XX53D3 (10th letter)
015054D3 (Null terminator)

I assume that it works like the code to change YOUR name, in that there are ten characters followed by the null byte (50). However I have a few questions...

a) Can you have 10 characters? When you start a new game you can only have 7.
b) Are you sure 50 is the null byte? The your-name-change code wipes out your save file if you put something else in as the null byte. Very bad.
c) If the name you want is less than 10 chars do you put the null byte right after the last letter and leave the other memory spots alone?

Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm not exactly a Gameshark veteran...

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 08:52 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Well, I wouldn't have guessed ten if you can normally only do 7. The thing is, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't check the rival's name to see if the file was bad, so messing up the null shouldn't kill you.

Still, I've check it out later tonight and tell you if your file is in danger...

(Going out to eat now...)

-cfalcon

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2000 04:49 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starmie64:

a) Can you have 10 characters? When you start a new game you can only have 7.
b) Are you sure 50 is the null byte? The your-name-change code wipes out your save file if you put something else in as the null byte. Very bad.
c) If the name you want is less than 10 chars do you put the null byte right after the last letter and leave the other memory spots alone?

Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm not exactly a Gameshark veteran...

(a) The pocket monster program uses a C style printout, so you could make it really really big, if you wanted. Note, however, that right past it is the "message speed" byte, etc. I successfully managed to get it to 12 characters, but v-e-r-y slowly.

btw: Fast=81, Med=83, Slow=85, if I read it correctly (01xx56?D3)

Ten seems to work without issue. Find out how many the game lets you enter (7) and use those plus a terminator (8 codes).

(b) I saved and reloaded the game with an eight character name. No file failures...

(c) The null byte (either 00 or 50, I don't know, I used 50 in these trials) goes AFTER the other codes.

Not dumb at all. Those were all valid concerns.

I'm tired now... Not typing "-cfalcon" is starting to grate on me (I'm trying out this "sig" feature)...

------------------
-cfalcon

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2000 06:01 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
I'm tired now... Not typing "-cfalcon" is starting to grate on me (I'm trying out this "sig" feature)...

Oh, you know you love it!

Succumb to the siren song of Technology!

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 04-21-2000).]

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starmie64
Farting Nudist
Member # 298

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for Starmie64     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks cfalcon, now fighting the E4 is now a little more intersting. :-)

------------------
Go! CHOC. MILK!
Enemy JOLTEON used THUNDERBOLT!
It doesn't affect CHOC. MILK!
CHOC. MILK used EARTHQUAKE!
* JOLTEON faints *

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.