The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » How to change the name of a pokemon (simpler method)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to change the name of a pokemon (simpler method)
JDonald
Farting Nudist
Member # 126

posted 04-09-2000 04:26 PM      Profile for JDonald   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you want to change the name of a pokemon whose IdNo or OT don't match yours,

Enter the code 010091CF on yellow (010092CF on red/blue I think)
Go to the name rater.
Put the pokemon that you want to rename at the top of your team.
Talk to the name rater and ask him to rate the name of one of your other pokemon whose OT and IdNo DO match yours.
Turn on the GS switch when you're at the screen where you enter the name.

There, now the new name will be given to the pokemon at the top of your team, regardless of whether it had an "impeccable name."

mlmiddleton@yahoo.com is currently looking for a similar method for a safe and easy way to change the name of your character and rival.

[ 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: JDonald ]

- - - - -
-hanzou

][ Candy
Farting Nudist
Member # 214

Member Rated:
posted 04-09-2000 09:49 PM      Profile for ][ Candy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank god! Now I don't have to hack a lickitung. (I'm lazy )

------------------
]['m carvin' for some, ]['m missin' you like candy.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-10-2000 01:06 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Good code. I was fearing having to look for the "check" part of that (hack the thing that compares... I'd probably need my PC for that...)

I hadn't considered just plain old changing the index to always point to the first one

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cheater
Farting Nudist
Member # 216

posted 04-11-2000 11:09 PM      Profile for Cheater        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hacking the compare bit probably isn't possible, since the compare result is probably stored in a register and not the RAM.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 03:16 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

The compare bit would be in a Flag register or something. You wouldn't want to hack that! It uses compares all the time.

You would want to hack the code that looks like this:

load trainernumber
compare monster.trainernumber
BranchIfNotEqual ChangeName

DenyChange
<...>
BranchAlways DoneName

ChangeName
<...>
BranchAlways DoneName

DoneName
return

Which would be done by changing the BranchIfNotEqual opcode to BranchAlways.

The reason this would be problematic is that, short of debugging, it would be hard to find (short of debugging it might be impossible to find...). The opcode doesn't change through time, after all (heck it's in ROM), and if the memory map is set up wierd (like paged or something, I don't know), it wouldn't work at all.

-cfalcon

------------------

Cheater
Farting Nudist
Member # 216

posted 04-12-2000 09:29 PM      Profile for Cheater        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you can't shadow the ROM data with a gameshark. only a gamegenie.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 09:43 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Interesting.

I wasn't sure either way. I knew I hadn't seen any ROM hacks yet, I just figured that data was easier and more useful.

By the way, where do people get info like that? Everything I know I've basically had to figure out (OK, this is a trainer, the manual says it looks for data... etc.).

-cfalcon

------------------

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2001 02:22 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This code also makes the game use the data for the top Pokémon only. Example.

Enter the code. Take yourself and two Jolteons to Celadon City. One of them has max Stat Exp. Buy two or three Proteins, etc, and turn the code to on. Have the max stat exp Jolteon at the top. Try to feed the second Jolteon some Protein, and it says "it won't have any effect".

------------------
Absurd length? Poo.

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.