The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » Gameshark (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gameshark
Charlie
Farting Nudist
Member # 177

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Charlie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it is ok to shark alot as long as you tell the person that you sharked or you know they did too
and it is nice to see if they sharked more than the admit ie your max speed pokemon is slower than theirs of the same species and level.

------------------
-Charlie

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this the only first topic still around?

Geez, those are old names...

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2002 06:53 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mostly use the Gameshark for research. It's been very useful. Finding codes has generally been more fun than using them.

I have been known to shark illegal attacks onto Pokemon, but never anything too out the window. Since I got the Gameshark I haven't actually battled anyone except my brother, whose Pokemon are more illegal than mine. I'll use my legit Pokemon if I ever battle anyone who doesn't shark.

I don't like to change the stat EXP because the Pokemon don't mean as much that way. And sharking DVs is interfering with their genetics, which can't be nice [Razz] . Apart from that, I think changing the DV is worse because you're doing something that can't really be done normally.

quote:
Posted by Mr.K :
I have been able to get away with doing what limited research I've done without one

It does make research much easier though, and it allows some things to be seen clearly that could previously only be guessed at.

--------

For people wanting RBY codes, my old website I made 2 years ago has quite a large collection of codes.

http://www.geocities.com/shadow_of_lapras/pokemon/codes.htm

(For those paying attention, this shows that I haven't had a proper pokemon battle for over 2 years... [Frown] .)

Hope this helps.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Mew lover 321
Farting Nudist
Member # 2541

Member Rated:
posted 11-18-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Mew lover 321        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I do with my Brainboy (that thing that only works on G/S) is use it for legal movesets and stats, or to have fun. My fun team has a shiny Missy that has Spider Web, Fissure, Horn Drill and Lock On, with 999 of every stat and 63 pp on each move. eh heh heh...

- - - - -
"Government employer looking for candidates. Criminal background required."

Found at the site "Things People Said"

From: The Orion Arm | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 12-04-2002 12:51 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Old names indeed... I largely stand by my original assessment, with the exception of innocuous (informative?) or localized sharking. Anything that offers an advantage in combat - not necessarily over the other player (if he'd spent months breeding maxxers, for example), but over where the sharker would be without the shark - whether deemed "unfair" or otherwise is out of bounds, in my opinion. On these grounds, I would disagree with Mewlover's perception that sharking legal sets/stats is okay.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 12-04-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, most people would agree that there are levels of modification:

1- No shark whatsoever
2- Shark only 1P game things and never use the cart in 2P game or trade with a cart that does, or do only "innocent modification" on a regular 2P cart (modification that does not speed the game up or allow access to anything extra)
3- Shark only 1P game things
4- Shark only legal move sets
5- Shark anything

No one can have a problem with (2) unless they are the sort of fool that gets angry when they hear about how you can jump twice as high in Mario or something with a code. If you shark a masterball to catch Mewtwo, that's one thing: if you shark a masterball to catch a max stat Jolteon for testing purposes, that's innocent. For instance, when I learned about stat XP, the first thing I did was to shark my Mewtwo's up to max, to see where he stood. I didn't save: I wanted to play him up there. Since I didn't record his virgin values, I had no idea that he was still lacking in defense (and I think hit points or something, I don't recall).

You can only eliminate 5 by observation. 3 and 4 are the levels where people start to have problems (and, arguably, there's no difference between them). K (and probably Rolken) will argue that 3,4, and 5 are cheating. I maintain that 3 and 4 are only cheating in that it modifies the overall experience: the battle remains unchanged. Nintendo has stressed my point by making a max stats monster all but uncatchable (it gets worse in the coming gems), but I still stand by it: a legal monster is a legal monster. Since all is number on a computer far more readily than anywhere else, numerically equal is numerically equal.

5, is naturally bullshit for meaningful competitions. 999 stats and such are useful for fun with friends maybe, but you *are* cheating.

Personally, I want my opponents to have the strongest legal monsters possible, period. I'd like them to be able to get them without sharking, but I don't really care either way. A tournament where they attempt to do the impossible (ban 3 and 4) is doomed to "cheaters", because you can't stop that kind of thing.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 12-07-2002 08:47 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cfalcon: K (and probably Rolken) will argue that 3,4, and 5 are cheating.

2 is cheating too, by any definition that matters. It's tough to get worked up about it, and I doubt we'd have the same definition of "innocent modification", but it's still cheating.

Cheating isn't just cheating when someone cares...that's like saying cheating isn't cheating unless you get caught.

a legal monster is a legal monster.

If it is obtained thru illegal means, it is not legal...by definition and also by explicit statement in Nintendo rules...and, of course, common sense and everything else you have, but put on suspension, when you cheat.

Since all is number on a computer far more readily than anywhere else, numerically equal is numerically equal.

Points in a football game are just numbers, but it matters how you get them.

I'd like them to be able to get them without sharking, but I don't really care either way.

Right, because you're cheating too.

In fact, you would probably feel worse if they didn't cheat, because then all your rationalization goes down the toilet, and you (and Baby Jesus) will know that what you're doing is Wrong.

Anyway, I have a hippy story which sort of fits in with the original tone of this thread...

When I first got the game, the whole "gotta catch 'em all!" thing had a lot of meaning to me, and it was really cool how long it took me to actually catch 'em all.

I traded with the son of a guy who worked at my sushi joint, some random kids in the mall, my friend who had Red, some kid I met at the pool, etc.

I got Stadium prizes and got a real Mew from Nintendo. I have little bits of lots of other people's games...

Excerpt from one of my tourney reports:

quote:
I got in line and met a dad and his little kid who really didn't know much about Pokemon, but was very enthusiastic. He had Red, so I asked him if he had a Scyther and he kept asking "Psyduck?". He really wanted an Abra (to give you an idea of his level of expertise), so I caught one and gave it to him. That made him really happy, so it felt like a good deed.
That was awesome. I eventually traded about a dozen Pokemon (including a Koffing) with that kid at the pool to get my Scyther. I still have a Magikarp he traded me named "WORTHLES".

For Sharkers, this probably all seems like a waste of time, but it was clearly intended to be part of the game, and as such it turned out to be very rewarding for me.

I'm not going to get all fruity and say Sharkers were deprived of this joy and all that, but I certainly do take issue with those who think that they know better than Nintendo what the rules really should be...

By the way, the "gotta catch 'em all!" thing was part of why I was so bored with G/S. I already caught 151 of these fuckers, and they want me to start from scratch, plus get even more guys, most of which I don't like?

Screw that noise.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.