The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Welcome Center   » Information Booth   » New Chat Room Thing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Chat Room Thing
J. Thaddeus Toad
Citrus Fondler
Member # 3

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for J. Thaddeus Toad   Author's Homepage   Email J. Thaddeus Toad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, the new chat room is open at http://chat.azureheights.com (or http://karpulator.azureheights.com if you like).

It's still in development and there are some known issues, but it mostly works now. It will probably suck more for those with slow connections, but, well, what doesn't?

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just came back from trying it. It's great.

I got two weird error messages (K immediately blamed Satan, I blame my browser), but otherwise everything worked fine.

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Azure Chat Enter Message:
"Yes, I want to waste a lot of time!"

This ro><orz. And I love the action command.

Edit: Three guesses. And the first two don't count.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: cmsnrub25 ]

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you have a fast connection, it only sucks marginally. If you have a slow connection, it sucks a lot, but not as much as IRC, in my opinion.

I've tried it at less than 28.8 and it works acceptably.

There is definite lag, tho, as it only updates when you say something and every 10 seconds after that. It can be more than 10 seconds if your connection is krap, but there's not much I can do about that in its current form.

I'm looking into server-pushing (as opposed to client-pulling), but I dunno if that's going to make a scrap of difference if you have a small pipe.

The main thing that I like about it is that we can keep the vermin out, and you always know who you're talking to. If someone's a pain in the ass in the forum, we can kick them out of the chat room, and vice-versa.

So I put the most work into making it interface with the forum database. No point in making everyone re-register for a stupid chat room. (Also, we don't have to deal with the sorcery.net people any more, and that's worth an awful lot.)

The rest of the work was just turning a turd into a slightly more fragrant turd...making the text scroll in the proper direction, making it look somewhat pleasant, adding some degree of security, etc. The colors need work, obviously.

Hey, when the code is free, you don't complain.

The next thing to do is to create some list of who's online, but that will be impossible to keep accurate. I can keep it reasonable, however, with enough clues to let you know who is most likely to actually be present.

It's really just the PBS problem all over again...I want something that everyone has access to, is machine-independent, and doesn't require any installation of outside stuff. So, I'm stuck with HTML and cgis, which suck.

Just bashing nails in with a wrench, again...but the programming is fun.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
super mad awesome leet cool mondo rad etc etc etc.

really. *watches window go boom*

From: www.turntherobotoff.com | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Living on air bubbles
Frank Stallone
Member # 2089

posted 01-16-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Living on air bubbles   Email Living on air bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cant get in :[
From: Cherry Hill, Suicide Captial of The World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are required to know your own password to get in.
the Newbie
Farting Nudist
Member # 1557

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for the Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like it!

- - - - -
"When I want to feel smart I read TPM, when I want to feel dumb I read AZ." ~ Thom Burr

articuno255
Farting Nudist
Member # 2381

Member Rated:
posted 01-17-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for articuno255        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe you entered your information incorrectly, or maybe we just don't like you.
Any requirements in terms of rank or anything?
I changed my password and it still doesn't work.

- - - - -
"The crowd's excitement is growing over this HOT battle!" - Stadium Narrator

Crazed Aipom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1575

Member Rated:
posted 01-18-2002 12:04 AM      Profile for Crazed Aipom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could it be that K set it up so that only teh pinkies and up could get in in order to keep name spammage and generic fags who don't know jack squat to a minimum? Neato.
From: www.turntherobotoff.com | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
J. Thaddeus Toad
Citrus Fondler
Member # 3

Member Rated:
posted 01-19-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for J. Thaddeus Toad   Author's Homepage   Email J. Thaddeus Toad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
articuno255: Any requirements in terms of rank or anything?

The database the chat room is using is just a copy of the original (in case it gets blown up) and hasn't been updated for a few days. It'll be updated again next week, and the new info should be there.

Once things stabilize, it'll be in synch with the forum database.

Well, a whole lot of the program was changed, giant hunks of code have been thrown out, some of the particularly sucky bits have been completely rewritten, and a bunch of other stuff that none of you could possibly care about was done, because it was fun.

(There are already a couple of things that are done in strange ways, just because it was the most interesting solution.)

There's a "Who's here?" function now that works about as well as can be expected. It works better if people actually sign off, either with the button thingy or just with "/quit". If they don't, they will hang around as ghosts for a while, and eventually be removed.

A few cosmetic changes that are not exactly amazing (but took a lot of time) have also been made.

The most important issue is, of course, the speed of the chat window's updating, but, unfortunately, that's also the least interesting problem to solve from a programming standpoint, so there are a few more things on the list before we get to that one.

That's how it goes when the programmer works for free.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: J. Thaddeus Toad ]

J. Thaddeus Toad
Citrus Fondler
Member # 3

Member Rated:
posted 01-21-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for J. Thaddeus Toad   Author's Homepage   Email J. Thaddeus Toad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, the Who's Here? thingy is working even better than before, more of the code has been standardized, and some other little bits have been cleaned up to make it nicer.

The main things left to do are to fix up what happens when you change rooms and then finally there will be nothing to do but actually make it work nicely.

Maybe I can think of something else to do before that. Why spoil a good thing?

Kobayashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 313

Member Rated:
posted 01-22-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for Kobayashi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like it

- - - - -
+kobayashi

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 01-25-2002 03:47 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mother pus bucket!

I just got something really cool working on the chat client that would have solved all the existing lag/connection problems right away...and it doesn't work in Internet Explorer, because Bill decided he didn't like it.

For the nine millionth time, fuck Microsoft!!!

Man this sucks, it was looking sweet.

Oh well, time for a new solution...

Lord Heisinger
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2862

Member Rated:
posted 06-04-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Lord Heisinger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cant get in. I use the same name and password to get in the forums and it wont let me in. Please help.

- - - - -
Heisinger
13:12
Is there any competition around here?? Who's next to lose?? Who's next to quit during a battle??

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 06-04-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have to be a Bashful to get in, I think. I'm pretty sure this applies to the PBS on the site, as well. I'd tell you how to become a Bashful, but then you'd just spam the boards.

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Updates just lag because no one really uses the chat room. At this moment, the user database is up to date.

On the other hand, no one will be in there, for the simple reason that the client is pretty unreliable. If Microsoft didn't completely suck anus, the client would be really friggin' cool, but oh well.

Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just go back to IRC.
From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 12:06 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt that J. Thaddeus and his pet Koffing are going to use IRC again - seeing as there were enough problems with it before. That's part of the reason why the Karpulator even exists.
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 12:29 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

IRC sucks.

No way we're going back to it, unless I run my own IRC server...and I don't want to...because IRC sucks.

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still have the unofficial Azure Heights IRC open...

/server 216.152.65.156
/join #azureheights

And there's always #pokebattle (same server, different channel)

*runs*

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
EeveeTrainer
Farting Nudist
Member # 62

posted 06-12-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for EeveeTrainer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atma:
I still have the unofficial Azure Heights IRC open...

/server 216.152.65.156
/join #azureheights

And there's always #pokebattle (same server, different channel)

*runs*

Yes, though for some reason Atma has banned me from it. (Isn't he the one who said I'm innocent?)

/me is confused =\

- - - - -
"I am not a geek."
-Fanha

From: New Hope, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentlemen, exibit A.
EeveeTrainer
Farting Nudist
Member # 62

posted 06-13-2002 02:04 PM      Profile for EeveeTrainer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Atma repeatedly says I am innocent!

- - - - -
"I am not a geek."
-Fanha

From: New Hope, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 06-13-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seeing as Atma had me banned from #pokebattle for 5 minutes because he thought I was YOU...

Your argument holds less water than the shot glass you drink out of.

starCaliber
is evil and also MewtwoSama
Member # 268

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for starCaliber   Email starCaliber   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IRC doesn't suck, Sorcery.net and MediaDriven suck.

GamesNET, friends.

From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.