The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Speed freakiness in Double Battles

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speed freakiness in Double Battles
MasamuneXGP
Farting Nudist
Member # 3412

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for MasamuneXGP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heya dudes, I've got a question about speed in 2vs2 battles. Moves like Protect and the like always go at the top of the move queue, but do they fail if they aren't at the absolute top? For instance, my Alakazam and Snorlax vs. two other pokes. Zam uses Protect, Lax uses Protect. Since they both use a goes-first move, their speed deterimines the order. Zam obviously goes first and successfully uses Protect. Lax's turn, does Protect work or fail? True it hasn't gone FIRST but neither of the opponents have moved... And does the same answer apply to goes-last moves like Roar?
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It should still work, for Protect at least.

Roar and whatnot [u]need[/u] to go last, though.

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MasamuneXGP
Farting Nudist
Member # 3412

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 04:47 PM      Profile for MasamuneXGP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd prefer someone test this for me, seeing as my little bro just busted my link cable...
Whiner
Member # 1465

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for 137   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this related to Protect failing after multiple uses? Or is there some speed aspect of the functioning of Protect that I'm unaware of?
From: Space. Like, outer space. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
MasamuneXGP
Farting Nudist
Member # 3412

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for MasamuneXGP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In GSC, Protect always fails if it doesn't go first. Pretty cut and dried in a 1 on 1 battle, there's a first poke and a last poke. But when you get into 4 pokes, it gets complicated, and therein lies my question.
Odnamra Taizem
Farting Nudist
Member # 2689

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Odnamra Taizem   Author's Homepage   Email Odnamra Taizem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's the other way around. Protect fails if it goes LAST.

I've seen a few people trying to Explode the first two opponent pokémon, only to watch both foes Protecting themselves. And maybe the partner's Protecting as well, shouldn't it be resistant/immune to the move [Razz]

- - - - -
"We did it becuase... we're us!" - Ivan

From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MasamuneXGP
Farting Nudist
Member # 3412

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2003 03:07 AM      Profile for MasamuneXGP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alrighty, so Protect works as long as neither opponent has moved. But what about goes-last moves? Can both your pokes use Whirlwind on the same turn?
Tenshi no Myu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1120

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Tenshi no Myu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would seem to me that the base speed of each poke would come into play if they both used a 'always goes last' move. The faster one's move should take priority.

Thinking about it logically, anyway. It may be different in the game. <_<

- - - - -
It hung on with Focus Band!

From: Seattle Below | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well in GSC, if two people used a "go last" move, then the slower Pokemon would have their move take effect.

Whether that's the situation in RS now, I don't know.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both pokes can use whirlwind during the same turn. I just tested that on the ROM. You can also target the same pokemon and whirlwind it twice, etc. Plus, after playing with speed boosts a little, I found out that the faster pokemon would whirlwind first.
MasamuneXGP
Farting Nudist
Member # 3412

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for MasamuneXGP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, great work Fluorine. So the final analysis is that the success of goes-first and goes-last moves is no longer based on if it actually went first or last, but is instead based on if both of the opponents have already moved/not yet moved. Got it.

[ 08-09-2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: MasamuneXGP ]

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.