The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Q on stat exp.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Q on stat exp.
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back in the earlier days of Pokemon, I paid little attention to what my Pokemon fought and focusing on their DV/IV/genes.

Now, in R/S, there's an obvious need to be careful with what your Pokemon does and does not fight. Now, I have a question on stat exp. Can it be 'erased'?

To be more specific, how permanent is it? I'm sure that leveling up would make it permanent, as would the various drugs or being 'boxed'.

I read a while ago that in G/S/C, using a Pokemon Center to heal would result in the erasing of stat exp. that had not been 'applied' yet.

To use as an example, let's say I start a new game. My Torchic fights the Poochyena, which gives it a point of attack exp. As I rush to see Brenden, I accidently fight and kill a Wurmple. However, I do not want to use its stat exp to boost up its Attack or HP. So, am I stuck with this one point forever in its Attack, or can I lose the points in any way?

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're stuck with it.

However, you generally get two 'junk' points to account for mistakes. Since you need four effort points to buy one stat point, and the full amount of 510 isn't divisible by four.

- - - - -
żµ?

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 10:47 AM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see. OK then, thanks.

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But to exactly hit 252 points, you have to keep track of everything you've fought.

I'm training up three guys at once (two Exp. Shares) and I'm going to get them all to 250 in two stats first, so I have a little more room for error. Then give them another point of HP or something. [Smile]
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a further comment, it is no longer in R/S possible to compute the IVs of a fully experienced pokemon unless you know exactly what stat experience it has. Also, to determine with certainty the IVs of a totally inexperienced pokemon, you must either level up your pokemon much higher (L100?), or use a more complicated method, although at least it's much easier to acquire rare candy than in any previous game. In other words, immense effort, including a lot of dull bookkeeping, is required to go much beyond casual play.

(Thanks White Cat. I have no idea why I typed base stats instead of IVs there, although at least I was consistent. I've fixed it now.)

[ 06-06-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Bugcatcher Ed ]

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point, Ed (although whenever you said "base stats" you should have said "genes/DVs/IVs").

Most people would calculate their genes before raising the Pokemon, so not being able to calculate them afterwards isn't too big a problem.

Meowth's "calculate genes with five Rare Candies" tool should prove to be very useful.

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm aware of the importance of paying careful attention to how much stat exp. a Pokemon has.

*holds up notebook charting what his Pokemon have fought and how much stat exp. they've accumulated*

I've been carefully marking what my Torchic (now Combusken) has fought, and used Meowth346's calculator to figure out its DVs, which are
HP - 25
Attack - 25
Defense - 22/23*
Speed - 20
Special Attack - 25/26*
Special Defense - 27
for the curious. I haven't pinpointed exactly what the Defense/Special Attack DVs are yet.

I need to catch a load of Zigzagoon for Rare Candy hunting.

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Definitely get a load of zigzagoons/linoons/phanpies. I know everyone else is swimming in money, but I can't get used to having what amounts to an infinite supply of super potions and ultraballs, to effortlessly having sufficient revives, full restores and PP ups, to accumulating proteins much faster than I otherwise would, and to the income supplement from nuggets, and on top of that, I have enough kings rocks to give a few away. Wish you could actually get master balls that way, though. My youngest daughter missed getting hers.
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you REALLY love your daughter, you'd just give her yours.

But you probably used it already. Some 'caring' parent you are.

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 06-09-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I probably will. But I don't have one yet, so I'll see if she still needs it by the time I get it.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.