The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Personalities for contests

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Personalities for contests
Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 05-14-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

Trying to make myself useful again. This article will only interest people who like contests. The information on personalities is drawn from Pokemon Forever, but is widely available elsewhere.

In a contest, your pokemon is rated on its condition for a particular trait, such as cool. It gets some bonus points, depending on its condition in the adjoining traits, e.g. for a cool contest, beauty and tough also have an impact. Thus, for contests, you want a personality that promotes the growth of one of the desired traits, but doesn't hinder the others, although any personality that doesn't hinder the three traits is acceptable.

code:

Trait Best 2nd Best Acceptable Worst
------- ------- ------- ------- -------
Cool Brave Relaxed Hardy Lonely
Adamant Impish Docile Naughty
Sassy Serious Bold
Careful Jolly Lax
Quiet Timid
Bashful Hasty
Quirky Naive
Modest
Mild
Rash
Calm
Gentle

Beauty Impish Adamant Hardy Lonely
Lax Naughty Relaxed Brave
Jolly Docile Bold
Naive Serious Timid
Bashful Hasty
Rash Modest
Quirky Mild
Quiet
Calm
Gentle
Sassy

Cute Timid Bold Hardy Lonely
Naive Lax Naughty Brave
Modest Docile Adamant
Rash Serious Relaxed
Bashful Impish
Calm Hasty
Quirky Jolly
Mild
Quiet
Gentle
Sassy
Careful

Smart Modest Timid Hardy Brave
Mild Hasty Lonely Adamant
Calm Bold Naughty
Gentle Docile Relaxed
Serious Impish
Bashful Lax
Quirky Jolly
Naive
Quiet
Rash
Sassy
Careful

Tough Gentle Lonely Hardy Adamant
Sassy Brave Docile Naughty
Mild Relaxed Bold
Quiet Hasty Impish
Serious Lax
Bashful Timid
Quirky Jolly
Naive
Modest
Rash
Calm
Careful

[ 05-14-2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Bugcatcher Ed ]

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 05-14-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt that it really matters all that much, though.

My Gyarados with a Calm nature had no real trouble storming the Beauty Contests, even though I hadn't maxed out Beauty when I gave it his ration of Pokéblocks.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

PkmnEspeon from PoJo.com
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3204

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2003 10:31 PM      Profile for PkmnEspeon from PoJo.com        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea I have a Modest Taillow that breezes through all but the last level of the contest, and he'll go 3/5 times through that too. moveset is far more important than nature, and theres really no point in fine-tuning contest pokes, unlike a real battling team.

- - - - -
~ This pile of BS brought to you by: PkmnEspeon from Pojo.com

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm trying to win contests at the moment with pokemon that have battle movesets, not really well suited for the contests, so conditioning is quite helpful for me. Besides, I might end up in a link-contest someday (it could happen).

[ 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Bugcatcher Ed ]

Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 08-03-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite sure where Bugcatcher Ed is coming from with his list here...I tried to use his system for a while, but had much better luck using a list/system in the Gamefaqs Contest/Berries/Base Guide...

"5. What Nature Likes, what flavor?
Spicy(Cool) - Lonely, Adamant, Naughty,Brave.
Sour(Tough) - Bold, Impish, Lax, Relaxed
Dry(Beauty) - Modest, Mild, Rash, Quiet.
Bitter(Smart) - Calm, Gentle, Careful, Sassy.
Sweet(Cute) - Timid, Hasty, Jolly, Naďve.

6. What Nature Likes, what colour?
Red - ADAMANT, BRAVE, NAUGHTY, LONELY
Blue - MILD, MODEST, RASH, QUIET
Pink - HASTY, JOLLY, NAIVE, TIMID
Green - CALM, CAREFUL, GENTLE, SASSY
Yellow - BOLD, IMPISH, LAX, RELAXED
Purple - Same as Red & Blue
Indigo - Same as Blue & Pink
Brown - Same as Pink & Green
LiteBlue - Same as Green & Yellow
Olive - Same as Yellow & Red
Grey - Random
Black - Random
White - Random
Gold - Same as Yellow & Blue
None - BASHFUL, HARDY, QUIRKY, SERIOUS"

Obviously, parts of Ed's system and the above FAQ description agree in part but conflict in others. I've been having much, much better luck using the simpler Gamefaqs guide. What am I missing?

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 08-04-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Thom Burr,

Just got back here after a prolonged absence, and was surprised to find this topic current! As to your question, the difference between the Contest/Berries/Base Guide lists you quote and mine is that mine rates personalities on how they work for three adjoining traits, not just one. To get the best possible condition in a beauty contest, for example, you want high scores in cool and cute, as well as beauty. Some personalities make this easier than others, that's all.

TIDUSBLITZABESX
Farting Nudist
Member # 3390

Member Rated:
posted 08-04-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for TIDUSBLITZABESX   Author's Homepage   Email TIDUSBLITZABESX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone try linking up with friends for berry blocks instead of facing Old man, Lad, Lass etc? Seeing that the computer uses the same berry to the corresponding berry you use, I wonder what would happen if you blended a Hondu Berry with a Leppa? Or a Spelon with a Hondu?

- - - - -
UIRULOSER, LANDERZDUMBASS, THAT STUPID DONALD KID, WHITE CAT CROSS DRESSER, AND PIKA("UHHH IF YOU BRING YOUR GAMESHARK WITH YOU NINTENDO MIGHT KNOW YOU HAVE HACKED YOUR GAME") ALL DECIDE TO GO AND GANG EACHOTHER W/URILOSER'S ANNOYING ELEPHANT BLOW UP DOLL

Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi TIDUSBLITZABESX,

Yes, I berry blend with my daughters. We finally have the vocabulary to have all the spelon group berries between us, so we'll have some interesting times, once we cultivate enough of them. Using lower-level berries, we've been able to get better pokeblocks together than is possible solo, and I expect this is true for higher level berries as well. I wish there were four of us instead of three of us.

TIDUSBLITZABESX
Farting Nudist
Member # 3390

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for TIDUSBLITZABESX   Author's Homepage   Email TIDUSBLITZABESX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok I want to have a pokemon that I can use in every single catagory for all contests. I was wondering, what are the best moves that can be used?

Thunder?
Flame Thrower?
Covet?
Fire Blast?
Blizzard?
Ice Beam?
Tourment?

Anyone have good ideas for moves for contests?

[ 08-07-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: TIDUSBLITZABESX ]

- - - - -
UIRULOSER, LANDERZDUMBASS, THAT STUPID DONALD KID, WHITE CAT CROSS DRESSER, AND PIKA("UHHH IF YOU BRING YOUR GAMESHARK WITH YOU NINTENDO MIGHT KNOW YOU HAVE HACKED YOUR GAME") ALL DECIDE TO GO AND GANG EACHOTHER W/URILOSER'S ANNOYING ELEPHANT BLOW UP DOLL

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.