The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Repartition of effort values.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Repartition of effort values.
Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was bored today, so I decided to come up with a formula to get the best way to spread effort values within HP and defense or HP and special defense.

Dmg% = (((2L/5+2)AP/50/(D+dD)+2)*Modifiers)/(H+dH)

L = level, A = attack, P = power, D = defense without effort, dD = defense effort points (effort values divided by four), modifiers = stab, etc., H = HP without effort and dH = health effort points

Let's ignore the second + 2, it just complexifies stuff.

Dmg% = (C1/(D+dD))*C2/(H+dH)
Dmg% = C/((D+dD)(H+dH))
Dmg% = C/(DH+DdH+HdD+dDdH) (C is a constant)

Let's say we want to spread X effort values, so dH = X - dD

Dmg% = C/(DH+D(X-dD)+HdD+dD(X-dD))
Dmg% = C/(DH+DX-DdD+HdD+XdD-dD˛)

Derivate to find minimum.

0 = C*-1/(DH+DX-DdD+HdD+XdD-dD˛)˛*(-D+H+X-2dD)

So (-D+H-2dD) must be equal to zero.

dD = (H-D+X)/2
dH = (D-H+X)/2 (by symmetry)

It's approximative because of the +2 and the lack of rounding, but then the result would depend on the situation.

In other words if you want to spread X effort values into HP and defense or HP and special defense you have to put (HP-defense+X)/2 points in defense and (defense-HP+X)/2 points in HP.

Of course if any of these gives a negative number, that means you have to put zero points in the stat, and if any of these gives more than 63, it means you have to put 63.

Usually the way to spread the EVs is pretty obvious but if you want to distribute less than 63 points, it might be useful.

Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're making it over-complicated with both D and hD. There's no real point to having it seperate, hurts nothing having them together just how your A isn't seperated into A and hA.

Additionaly, I've found that going HP is generally better than going defensive stats...

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried applying calculus to it once and got exactly what I had figured out on my own earlier, and in less time. The conclusion? Calculus is useless. [Big Grin]

But seriously. Health is, in theory, the stat to choose when considering defences, but there are a couple of weird ones like Blissey that don't need HP. The higher your HP, the more you recover from Leftovers, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Recover, etc. Low Defence can be dealt with by Bulk Up, Barrier or Reflect; Health can't be augmented in any way.

Stat-boosting moves make it possible for a lot of Pokémon to get away with only Health and Speed. The real trouble comes with guys like Aggron who don't learn abilites to cover their shortcomings. An Agility or a Light Screen or a Bulk Up would mean so much to Aggron it's not funny.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fluorine
SMELLY BUTT
Member # 2904

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Fluorine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're making it over-complicated with both D and hD. There's no real point to having it seperate, hurts nothing having them together just how your A isn't seperated into A and hA.

I want to know the amount of effort points needed, so of course I have to separate D. As for A, I could just ignore it and get to the same conclusion.

I tried applying calculus to it once and got exactly what I had figured out on my own earlier, and in less time. The conclusion? Calculus is useless.

It took me less than 5 minutes to come up with that. Writing it out is long, but the action of applying calculus to this is just a matter of what... seconds? Also you can call it a proof.

Of course it's not THAT useful, but it's cool nonetheless [Smile]

Also, since I am considering the percentage of damage, the fact that recover recovers more or less HP doesn't matter. Of course if you max HP it might recover 1.5x the HP, but maybe that if you maxed defense instead you'd take 2x less damage, so... well, of course, there are the fixed damage attacks that are probably going to be used more. The point concerning stat boosting is good though.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.