The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » [R/S] Changes in Baton Pass

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [R/S] Changes in Baton Pass
Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 05-02-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm finally going to originate some information for R/S instead of just doing some confirmation testing for what others have been posting.

This info looks to be everything that can be Baton Passed in R/S. Moves that I didn't test in this either have passable things already covered (such as stat changes) or didn't appear to have anything that was passable. I also definitely got to learn some things from this testing that I haven't found anywhere else, like Magic Coat being possibly the only counter to Perish-trapping. Anyway, the listing provided below is an update over the GSC information from Metalloid Research.

Unchanged:

Stat-changers - Of course.

Confusion status

Full Trapping moves (Mean Look, Spider Web, and Block)

Curse (ghost-using version)

Focus Energy

Leech Seed

Perish Song

Substitute - Actually, I didn't yet fully confirm that the Substitute that is passed is identical in every way. I'll get to that sometime later.

Changed:

Partial Trapping moves - This is a kind of changed. These actually act like they did in Stadium 2, rather than the previous GB games. The incoming pokemon targetted by these moves is freed from both of the secondary effects.

Defense Curl - the Rollout boosting ability is no longer passed through Baton Pass.

Foresight - Neither the negation of Ghost-type immunities nor the suppression of evade modifiers is passed.

Minimize - the effect which causes damage to be doubled when Stomp is used is no longer passed.

Mist - The move now stays in place for teammates through normal switching, it no longer needs to be maintained by using Baton Pass.

Nightmare - Can't be passed under any conditions.

Toxic - With it's new behavior, it appears the code has been tightened up. The increased poisoning can't be passed to a pokemon that has normal poisoning.

New:

Ingrain - Baton Pass will allow switching. The pokemon that comes in won't be able to switch (unless it also has Baton Pass). The healing effect will be passed on to the switched-in pokemon as well (please pass the Leftovers).

Mud Sport - The damage reduction for electric moves is passed.

Water Sport - The damage reduction for fire moves is passed.

That's all that I've found.

EDIT: Looks like my brain wasn't fully-functional when I posted this. I missed two of the entries.

[ 05-02-2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Continue ]

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2003 06:56 AM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thnx, d00d.

I think the new Toxic-poison sux, BTW.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by veloS:
Thnx, d00d.

As someone who knows exactly what was going on with Toxic before, it's current behavior appears to be what the creators intended it to do all along. Several of the things I've seen so far look like they tightened up their code alot for this version and worked out many previous bugs (there's still a few in there, though.

As to how I feel about the Toxic change though, I'm somewhat ambivalent. It makes Toxic a more dangerous thing, but it does have some balance to it. We now have another Heal Bell move, Aromatherapy. Some other pokemon also have Refresh, which will take care of it. If you don't want the other person using it against you, there's also Imprison on a pokemon with Toxic. The balance isn't that good, but there's something.

I think I'll have to investigate the other moves in the game more thoroughly before a strong opinion one way or another, though.

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LanderZRPG
Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads!
Member # 1615

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for LanderZRPG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not good? The whole of Poison and Steel types are immune to it, plus whoever has the Starmie/Altaria characteristic (When switched out, status things go away), plus whoever has Immune(Snorlaxen characteristic) are all clear of it.

It's hardly a huge problem. However, switching resets the counter, right? Like, if someone's up to taking 25% damage per turn from it, and they switch out and back in, it's back to the 6.25 or whatever, or 25+whatever?

- - - - -
From what we've learned, it seems like you'd prefer girls dressed in ant costumes or something... -Kazuki (Regarding tl;dr)

Owner of the Power Advantage DBZ RPG
(www.poweradvantage.net)

From: High Prairie, AB, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 05-06-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Continue:
quote:
Originally posted by veloS:
Thnx, d00d.

As someone who knows exactly what was going on with Toxic before, it's current behavior appears to be what the creators intended it to do all along. Several of the things I've seen so far look like they tightened up their code alot for this version and worked out many previous bugs (there's still a few in there, though.

As to how I feel about the Toxic change though, I'm somewhat ambivalent. It makes Toxic a more dangerous thing, but it does have some balance to it. We now have another Heal Bell move, Aromatherapy. Some other pokemon also have Refresh, which will take care of it. If you don't want the other person using it against you, there's also Imprison on a pokemon with Toxic. The balance isn't that good, but there's something.

I think I'll have to investigate the other moves in the game more thoroughly before a strong opinion one way or another, though.

I know, I wuz a toxic master myself (everyone feared my Crobat and Umbreon [Razz] ), but I don't see this as an improvement. If gamefreak would've wanted to make toxic realistic, then the cumulative damage should stay even after switching out. That would make toxic so more bad-ass, IMO.

I don't like the fact that it starts as 'bad poison' again. I prefer the old toxic, that turns into regular poison then. Cuz at least in the first turn, it does more damage than toxic too.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

JP Nogueira
Farting Nudist
Member # 962

Member Rated:
posted 05-06-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for JP Nogueira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe Game Freaks gave more attention to moves like Yawn, Encore, Leech Seed, Perish Song, Toxic and a bunch of others, that give the option of switching to prevent/reduce the effect, or stay in battle and suffer.

They're a class of moves that work similar to Roar/Whirlwind/Haze in RS.

- - - - -
----======= (o)
JP Noga
Gym Leader from Brazil

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.