The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Calling all researchers: Missingno

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all researchers: Missingno
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2002 12:59 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its very odd that there's no missingno page on Azure that I know of.

I made an old page (I must add that I was the first to make it)
It can be found at www.ureach.com/mewtwo in the RBY folder.

It's been 2 years since I understood what this karp means. Someone needs to reformat the Hex/Pokemon chart to a format Azure's HTML uses as well as figure out the things I didn't.

Happy trails.

- - - - -
Hade ni ikuze!

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2002 04:58 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What information would you be missing?

And should I upload Missingno.'s stats to PKUtility?

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2002 07:27 AM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say yea, I mean, it is a useble pokemon and I'm sure some people use it I guess. Plus, its intresting to know about how he came to be

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2002 07:27 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have done some research on the different Missingnos.
I used my Blue version and an Action Replay.

Is Mblockchip the Pokemon "ťť 'M ťť" ?

(It is hex 00, and is functionally identical to Missingno, except if you catch one, it keeps fighting, and if you catch it again you get a Ditto.)

Most of the numbers gave Missingnos, which were identical except for their battle cry.

B6, B7, and B8 gave a different kind of Missingno, with better stats, different attacks and different type.

BF gave Pokemon ">ť Ať"
Its stats and attacks were different again.
Its type appeared to change when I switched it with other Pokemon.

Trying to summon a Pokemon with a number above BF crashed the game.

Seeing a Missingno corrupts the Hall of Fame. It appears to be written directly to the saved state, so cannot be repaired by switching off.

Carrying one corrupts the graphics in battle, but this is only temporary, and can be fixed by switching off without saving, releasing the Missingno, or just putting it in the PC. Withdrawing it again will redo the damage.

Missingnos are very weak, so not very useful for fighting. I don't know if using one in a link battle damages the opponent's Hall of Fame, but if it does, that could really annoy someone.
The most important use for this Pokemon is for the item duplication trick.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2002 08:45 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The hex IDs of each Pokémon are not arranged in any logical way, and there are gaps in them. The Missingnos may be the programmers' cop-out way of filling those gaps, so the Game Boy has something to do if it comes to a Pokémon with that ID.

Also, it is likely that the item duplication cheat was included for testing purposes. This is more likely given the fact that wild Missingnos were removed in Yellow.

I wonder, what happens if you try to trade a Missingno to Gold or Silver? Most of the empty hex IDs are real Pokémon in the new games. Would a Missingno become a GS Pokémon when traded over?

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2002 09:38 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The hex IDs of each Pokémon are not arranged in any logical way, and there are gaps in them.

I was under the impression that it simply ranged from 1-151, with 0 M-block and 152-255 Missingno; 152-251 thence revealed themselves as real Pokemon in G/S.

Also, it is likely that the item duplication cheat was included for testing purposes.

Nah, it probably just writes to an area outside the intended matrix or whatever, like when it reads data from your name.

I wonder, what happens if you try to trade a Missingno to Gold or Silver? Most of the empty hex IDs are real Pokémon in the new games. Would a Missingno become a GS Pokémon when traded over?

Yepperz.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-29-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blade Sabre: Also, it is likely that the item duplication cheat was included for testing purposes. This is more likely given the fact that wild Missingnos were removed in Yellow.

i believe they were removed in yellow because nintendo had caught on to the missingno trick. why would they want cheaters to have an advantage over all the little kids that level up their pikachus fairly?

i'd say the chance is slim, but i haven't tried it. remember, even pokémon that exist in both games have different hex values in each. the metallic games change these values so you get the same pokémon at both ends. no telling what it's programmed to do when it hits a missingno without actually trying it. keep in mind that nintendo now knows that we know about missingno, and it's only accessible through cheating. if i were them, i'd be sure to include some little slap on the wrist. say, removing the pokédex from the menu and/or changing your trainer name to match m block's, maybe even turning key items into teru-samas. yeah, i'd be bad. [Wink]

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rolken: I was under the impression that it simply ranged from 1-151, with 0 M-block and 152-255 Missingno; 152-251 thence revealed themselves as real Pokemon in G/S.

Those are the numbers the game gives the user, but each Pokemon also has another ID which is used by the game mechanics.

Here is a sample. (Numbers in hex.)

54 Pikachu
55 Raichu
56 Missingno
57 Missingno
58 Dratini
59 Dragonair
5A Kabuto
5B Kabutops
5C Horsea

Lol. They like to make it hard to find things.

spunman: even pokémon that exist in both games have different hex values in each

I had a look for a site wih GS codes to find out the hex values for these Pokemon. I thought they were the same... But indeed, the GS hex IDs have been renumbered to 01 Bulbasaur, 02 Ivysaur etc.
Trading Missingnos would be a very dangerous thing to try, as the game is saved automatically.

I tried calling some Missingnos in Yellow, and they are vastly different. Most of them crash the game, and the others learn glitch attacks that also crash. There are Pokemon above BF in Yellow. C1 is quite fun to use : )

While the Missingnos in Red and Blue follow some sort of logic, and mostly obey the rules, the ones in Yellow appear to be made from random data, which makes little sense to me, or the GB.

Nintendo probably did take the Missingno cheat out to stop people cheating, but they could have done that whatever the original reason was for its existance.

[ 05-30-2002, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2002 03:13 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I wonder, what happens if you try to trade a Missingno to Gold or Silver? Most of the empty hex IDs are real Pokémon in the new games. Would a Missingno become a GS Pokémon when traded over?"

The GSC receptionist says something tantamount to "Your buddy's cart is screwed up to the point of incognition."

As for the different spacing, I see evidence that the ordering of Pokemon was done in the order they were brainstormed by the creation team. Missingno. probably represents all the conceptual Pokemon that were cut during development.

The reason it was cut from Yellow probably had to do with the programmers. R/B needed to be studied, because this was GAMEFREAK's first major game in quite a while. After finding that their project was a success, Yellow was a spinoff product aimed almost purely at the younger fans who followed the storyline that had been given to the fans. The Pokemon ordination system remained the same, in order to ensure smooth trades, but the game was similar enough to R/B that anything they had performed correctly in those games, would be correct in Yellow as well. So they removed the "Missingno" programming exercise that was supposed to remain a secret to the players.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 06-01-2002 07:48 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jolt.

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

Blade Sabre
Farting Nudist
Member # 2858

Member Rated:
posted 06-01-2002 08:04 AM      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I studied Mewtwo's page about Missingno and character names.

The character name is 11 bytes long.

In theory, it should be possible to get 5 different species of Pokemon on the Ledge. I sharked my own name to 11 different "letters" to test this.

But in practice, this can't be done with a legal name.
GARY gets 2 chances of Electrode.
All the other default names get at least 2 chances of Missingno.
A custom name gets at least 2 copies of 'M.

When you enter your own name, the byte immediately after the last letter is &50, the break. This is level 80 or Missingno. All bytes after that contain &00, which is level 0 or 'M.

[ 06-01-2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

- - - - -
runescaped@yahoo.co.uk

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.