The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Shiny Pokemon?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shiny Pokemon?
Articuno666
Farting Nudist
Member # 1927

Member Rated:
posted 12-13-2001 09:21 PM      Profile for Articuno666     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was just curious, but what is the deal with shiny pokemon. Do they have better stats.

- - - - -
May the Ice be the death of YOU!!!

From: Nearest thing to hell | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rei the Giant Koffing
Farting Nudist
Member # 1909

Member Rated:
posted 12-13-2001 10:25 PM      Profile for Rei the Giant Koffing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, from what I've heard...their stats are lower than those of the Wild ones.

I only collect them anyway.

From: Americas b0rked penis | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-14-2001 01:11 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They have another colour, they have a "shiny" icon next to their gender icon, and they appear with a neat sparkle animation in battle.

They also have att/def/spd/spc DV's of ##1# (in binary, meaning that the #'s can be a 1 or a 0), 10, 10, 10. HP DV depends on the other DV's so I won't calculate it here.

That, and they're damn cool.

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 12-14-2001 04:03 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shiny pokemon have a DV of 10 for defense, speed, special attack, and special defense.

The attack is random. But if the Attack DV is Odd (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15) then the Shiny pokemon will have a HP DV of 8.

If its even, then it has a HP DV of 0.

So they aren't as good as most others (10 points off for each stat excpet attack and HP). But they have kick-ass looks.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Cesar ]

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 12-15-2001 03:29 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You don't mean that the attack gene can be *anything*, do you? I thought that certain attack DV's were required in order to get a shiny (as in ##1#).
Haunter_girl
Farting Nudist
Member # 1866

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2001 01:41 PM      Profile for Haunter_girl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well as far as I know, (I've once asked a similar quesion here) the attack DV will always be either 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15.

- - - - -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

___\|||/___
\_|_\|/_|_/

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-07-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't get what you guys mean by "most others"... last I heard, when you pick a number between 0 and 15, it averages 7-8. That would make shinies better than average. Unless by "most others" you mean the 1/65536 chance of perfect.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

JP Nogueira
Farting Nudist
Member # 962

Member Rated:
posted 01-08-2002 07:47 AM      Profile for JP Nogueira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you're right, Haunter Girl

Meanwhile, do you agree that we can say a shiny can be met for each 100 hours of game?

Well, sure you can add factors like training in the grass, luck or whatelse, but under normal conditions I think you can say this: 1 shiny /100 hours.

- - - - -
----======= (o)
JP Noga
Gym Leader from Brazil

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 08:51 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While i was using Gameshark to catch wild pokemon, i ran into 2 shiny pokemon within 30 minutes but i didn't catch them.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
NiMR0D
Farting Nudist
Member # 2204

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for NiMR0D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While i was using Gameshark to catch wild pokemon, i ran into a shiny pokemon everytime a pokemon showed up.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: NiMR0D ]

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Noisy Phanpy
Farting Nudist
Member # 2394

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2002 10:46 AM      Profile for Noisy Phanpy   Email Noisy Phanpy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, he didn't use the code in order catch a Shiny Pokemon. He just used a code to catch a particular Pokemon, right? well, at least as far I understood..

Anyway, with gameshark you can never know with all those binaries and bytes, doesn't it?
I think it somehow messed your game up so Wild Pokemon have a greater chance of being Shinies, something like 20%, makes sense.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Noisy Phanpy ]

From: Ruins Of Alph | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2002 04:37 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JP Nogueira:
Well, sure you can add factors like training in the grass, luck or whatelse, but under normal conditions I think you can say this: 1 shiny /100 hours.

I would refute that, having over 900 hours in Gold, Silver and Crystal combined and having only ever seen four shiny Pokemon - Three mandatory Gyarados and one Tentacruel.

- - - - -
¿µ?

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 01-13-2002 12:17 AM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After three hundred combined huors of gameplay in GSC I've caught four Shinys in the wild: Tentacool, Nidorino, Gastly, and Hoot-Hoot.

The odds of a wild Shiny encounter are 1 in 8000. It's hard to peg an "average number of hours" between Shiny encounters. It obviously depends on how much time you spend in the grass and other "wild" areas (I picked up Gastly in the Bellsprout Tower...). If I had to guess, however, I'd say you see one wild Shiny for every 40 or 50 hours of game play. Doesn't hurt to carry a Master Ball or a Level Ball in case you run across a type that flees or explodes.

...And (of course) I have 5 Red Gyarados and 10 Shiny Dittos, but they don't quite count, as they are automatic.

If you want a particular type of Shiny, use the Shiny Ditto trick and start breeding them. In about 50 or 60 hours of breeding, I've produced three bred Shinys: Sudowoodo, Wobbuffet, and Cleffa (don't ask why I chose those, groan). The odds of any one egg being Shiny are 1 in 64, and don't forget how random this is. My first took me 35 eggs, the second took 70, the third took 45. Even if you don't use the Doduo mode in Stadium 2, this is still far faster than looking for a wild Shiny, and you can choose the type.

The fastest way to snag a few Shinys would be to restart or buy a new Crystal cart, and play through to the point where you're about to get the Odd Egg. Save before you get it, then get it and hatch it till you get a Shiny. There are 8 possible, and there's a 1 in 8 chance every time you hatch.

Obviously, if you get a plain one, turn the power off and restart (from the save point!) and keep hatching and restarting till you get one. After you get one, transfer the Shiny to another cart and restart Crystal and repeat the previous process. Unfortunately, there are only eight Shiny pokes you can get this way, and the Odd Egg takes the longest time to hatch, but this still seems the fastest way to snag a few Shinys.

There's one last way to get a Shiny--for stationary or gift or purchase pokemon, save right before you're about to encounter or get the pokemon. Get or encounter the poke--if it's not shiny, restart. Again and again and again. I know of one person who did this to get a Shiny Tyrogue--it took her 20 hours (this was before Shiny Ditto and the Odd Egg). Shiny Ditto has made this system all but pointless, but this still might be the only way to get a Shiny Ho-Oh or Lugia.

If you wanted a Shiny Mewtwo you could obsessively play through RBY and transfer the guy to GSC to check, but I think not. Even on Dodrio mode this would take years, seeing how you'd have to restart from scratch every single time. And all would assume you sharked it anyway. And while I'm at it, Shiny Mews should be impossible, given their fixed stats, but Shiny Celebis could in theory be out there, since their stats are supposed to be random--of course, you'd be looking at the same odds as wild encounters (and I rather doubt we'll see another tour for a very long time.

Interestingly enough, I've been reading a bunch of people saying they've picked up Shiny Legendary Birds and Wandering Legendaries from the Pokemon Machine in NYC. I haven't been able to check this out or find what the odds are of getting one.

Right now, my goal is to breed a Shiny Eevee. I think I've hatched 60 eggs, which is not so bad, but they take forever to hatch. I'm trying to make an all-Shiny team, but most of my Shinys are junk...If I had a Shiny Umbreon I'd be able to knit them together, though...

- - - - -
This is not a signature.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 01-13-2002 04:23 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Err, for a shiny Mewtwo from RBY you could check it's stats to see what it's DVs are immediately after you catch it, if it's your shiny stats then trade it over, no need to trade and then check...

Oh, and the Odd Egg in the English Crystal is only 14% chance of getting a shiny...

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Tghost ]

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
FireMagmar
Farting Nudist
Member # 2238

Member Rated:
posted 01-13-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for FireMagmar   Email FireMagmar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree with the 100h-Shinies thing. I've never encountered any, I have 185 hours on m Silver cart. The only ones that I owns are the frigin' Gyarados and a Larvuitar (with the code. Only for a research, don't flame me)
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
I don't get what you guys mean by "most others"... last I heard, when you pick a number between 0 and 15, it averages 7-8. That would make shinies better than average. Unless by "most others" you mean the 1/65536 chance of perfect.

If you only compare to random wild pokemon, then yes, shinies are better. However, many people bred good-DV pokemon. For example, I've caught about 50 Dittos for breeding, and I currently use one with 13 Defense and 7 Special... which automatically beats shiny in Defense, and had a 50% chance of beating him in Special too.

And if anyone cares, I have Red Gyarados and a shiny Poliwag.

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
WARGOD
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2499

Member Rated:
posted 01-21-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for WARGOD   Email WARGOD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, in 999:99 hours, I haven't found any shyne!!!(in my silver)...

- - - - -
WARGOD
Gym Leader of Mikan Island
Brazilian Orange Elite

From: São Paulo, Brazil | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-30-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it somehow messed your game up so Wild Pokemon have a greater chance of being Shinies, something like 20%, makes sense.

Actually, it doesn't make sense, since GS doesn't touch the ROM, and I'm fairly sure there isn't a battery saved value which determines shiny appearance probability.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Frogjedi
Farting Nudist
Member # 772

Member Rated:
posted 01-31-2002 12:01 AM      Profile for Frogjedi   Author's Homepage   Email Frogjedi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
um, yah...... I have racked up 400 hours on my silver cart and haven't run into any shinies but that damn crap gyrados. It's just my luck. anyways.....Shinies are good bragging rights but you'll just be outdone by some gameshark hacking n00b. what's the point?

- - - - -
-"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

From: I'm filing. Oh yes I'm filing. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
David Akihabara
Farting Nudist
Member # 2367

Member Rated:
posted 02-05-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for David Akihabara   Email David Akihabara   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only ones I've come across were the red Gyarados (twice) and a Ledyba ( had no Poke Balls ).

- - - - -
Fortes Fortuna Jurat

Rei the Giant Koffing
Farting Nudist
Member # 1909

Member Rated:
posted 02-05-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Rei the Giant Koffing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shinies= Gyarados, Ditto, Pichu, Geodude, and Zubat.

I'm going to restart my Crystal cart soon and try for more of the Odd egg shinies.

I've only racked up around 140 hours on my Gold cart.

From: Americas b0rked penis | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SongBear88
Farting Nudist
Member # 2145

Member Rated:
posted 02-08-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for SongBear88   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These are the DVs shiny pokemon can have:

HP DV: 0, 8
Attack DV: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15
Defense DV:10
Special DV:10
Speed DV:10

Generally they are much stronger than wild pokemon but wild pokemon sometimes have higher DVs but that is rare.

Dragonite
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
posted 02-15-2002 10:48 PM      Profile for Dragonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SongBear88:
These are the DVs shiny pokemon can have:

HP DV: 0, 8
Attack DV: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15
Defense DV:10
Special DV:10
Speed DV:10

Generally they are much stronger than wild pokemon but wild pokemon sometimes have higher DVs but that is rare.

That has to be true because I caught a Suiciune with stats

Att - 0
Def - 10
Speed - 10
Special - 10

And I was like "why the hell isn't it shiny!?" but now I know, thankerz ya! Hey, it would be awsome to catch a shiny pokemon with an attack DV of 15 huh? That would be sweet!

Even if you did find a pokemon in the wild with better stats then a shiny, it would harder to catch wouldn't it? So you might even not catch it

- - - - -
Things we can learn from a dog:

* Take naps and stretch before rising
* When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently
* If what you want lies buried, dig untill you find it
* Never pass up the opertunity to go for a joy ride
* When your happy dance around and wag your entire body

Sean A.
Farting Nudist
Member # 2277

Member Rated:
posted 02-17-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Sean A.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I once caught a Shiny Marowak but since a) It was female b) It didn't have a thick club and c) I despise Marowak it sat in my box until I restarted my game.

- - - - -
Three Stages of Galactic Civilization:
1)Survival (AKA: How): "How do we eat?"
2)Inquiry (AKA: Why): "Why do we eat?"
3)Sophistication (AKA: Where): "Where shall we eat lunch?"

From: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.