The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Peeking into the ROM

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peeking into the ROM
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 11-24-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, before I can try to look for it myself, let me ask a few questions:

Does anyone know the move list of a trainer's Pokémon? I have a feeling that it is possible to find the DVs of those Pokémon in the ROM and they aren't randomly generated.

Does anyone know where the maps are stored and how?

Do you know how the graphics are stored? I knew that necrosaro had it once, but then he disappeared.

- - - - -
I am me. That is all I am.

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 11-24-2001 12:30 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The DVs aren't randomly generated. If you look for the change enemy DVs code in a Gameshark list, that might help.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 11-24-2001 05:58 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the ROM, certain trainers have defined movesets (E4, Gym Leaders, Ash, some phone trainers). The easiest way to get into alh this sort of thing is to get a Pokemon Table file (search for it via a search engine) and a hex editor that supports table files (zophar.net is a good palce to start). Then, you load up a Pokemon ROM (preferably G/S, they're the easiest to understand) and search for a trainer's name in the game (eg, ASH) under the table file. Then, you see two useless bytes, followed by a level in hex, a Pokemon in hex (see a Gameshark list to decipher), and then sometimes there's 4 slots for a moveset (all values over FB and 00 indicate no move, and you can tell whether there's movesets or not by the amount of space a trainer takes up). If the DVs are there, they are either indicated in the trainer's header (which can also indicate whether mvoesets are present or not) or they are stored seperately via a pointer.

For maps, search for Goldmap. There's millions of versions out there, just shop around.

Graphics can be discerned via tools from http://www16.brinkster.com/meowthhacks/ins.asp .

Oh, and for hacking questions, I've found the best forums (even if it is newb infested) are PR Trans at http://ppnforums.splashhost.com/index.php .

Yeah, that's about it.

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 11-24-2001 06:17 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Does anyone know the move list of a trainer's Pokémon? I have a feeling that it is possible to find the DVs of those Pokémon in the ROM and they aren't randomly generated.

I discovered the location of the trainers' names and moves (each stored separately in the ROM) and figured ot how to decipher it. This list is my result (Crystal version).

Some of the Pokemon for the Pokefan trainers might be incorrect: my assumption is that the Pokefans use the same Pokemon (the first one for each trainer) and use a random amount from 1 to 6.

A trainer without a move list has Pokemon with the same moves as if the Pokemon were wild.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: poccil ]

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: poccil ]

- - - - -
The Ultimate Pokemon Center | Gold/Silver Lab
"I believe that poccil is an intelligent, respected member of the online Pokemon community." -sarcastic comment by White Cat

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.