The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Gamelink Cable Observations and Questions

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gamelink Cable Observations and Questions
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 03:53 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was reading some computer related forums the other day and I found a link to a webpage a page in which people were plugging Worm Lights (the lights that plug into a Gameboy's Link Cable port into a Fire Wire port (aka IEEE1394 or iLink) and the light would light up. (I don't have it bookmarked, but if anyone wants proof, I'll try to find it again.) Apparently, this means FireWire and Game Link cables have a very similar structure

Now why, you may be wonderring does this have any relevence to Pokemon? If a gameboy and a game link cable can be attached to a computer, a program can theoretically be written to extract data from the Gameboy (by setting up a fake trade in which the computer gets the Pokemon and the Gameboys gets pregenertaed data). With that data, the program could then extract Pokemon and items from it and set up a an online battle. It's like what the mobile adaptor could of been but over the internet.

No here's the question. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the voltage and polarity of the wires within a gamelink cable. Or, if you'r willing to sacrifice a gamelink cable, could you test each wire? (I'm doubting anyone is willingly going to rip apart their cable and test voltages, but no harm in asking!) I already have a diagram of FireWire (I'll post the link if anyone wants it), so if they match, or are reasonably similar, this could work. My concern is that the gamelink cable only is similar to FireWire in terms of power and not data (though they both have a very similar shape). Another observation, the conntector for old gameboys (the attachment that hooks onto the end of one of the sides of the cable for the original big grey gameboys) has 6 pins, exactly the same number as a FireWire port (the normal ones have 4, but look like they have a space you a 5th and 6th.)

Any information you have on this would be very much appreciated.

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting find.

Unfortunately, my Game Link Cable snapped after I tried to hang Ash Ketchum with it, and buying a new one would be pointless because I can use Stadium for any of its possible uses, so I won't be helping on this one.

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if you knew what you were doing you could definately make a fake link cable, hook it to your computer, and make fake trades, etc...

I personally wanted to figure out the infared thing on mystery gift myself so I could choose what gifts get sent, or somethin like that, hehe

- - - - -
even my mother thinks i'm an idiot

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All that means is that firewire also acts as a power source. That's why my G4 est awesomus. I don't see where you get the data extraction part from, though. Just because firewire powers a worm light doesn't mean it can pull data from a nintendo port.
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 06:41 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MK: I did do test with Infrared, but they were mainly inconclusive.

10,000lb Snorlax: You're a Mac user too I see; I have a PowerBook G3 FireWire. II guess asuming it transferred data the same was kind of a premature assumption, but I assumed that if the ports were that similar (in shape and power transfer), there must be something common about the structure. I'm starting so have doubts, especially at looking at the difference between the worm light plug and the link cable plug. They have a different number of metal prongs (or whatever the heck their called).

Thanks everyone.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 11-07-2001 06:42 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if you could make a game link hok to the CP and do online battles, you will be a god! unfortunatly th firewirething may jut b a power source but still it whold deffinatly be a good thing to try.

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 11-08-2001 01:35 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't Interact or another company create a link cable-like device to hook the Gameboy to the computer for transfering pictures taken with the picture-taking device (I've blanked out on what it was called, but it's an official product from Nintendo) for Gameboy? One person whom went by the names Golden Nidoking/Professor Utsugi was looking into buying one of the cables, and getting a programmer to allow two people to "link battle/trade" through the computer this way. But, as far as I know, Golden Nidoking fell out of Pok駑on quite a long time ago.

--Meowth346

D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 11-08-2001 05:11 AM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meowth346:
Didn't Interact or another company create a link cable-like device to hook the Gameboy to the computer for transfering pictures taken with the picture-taking device (I've blanked out on what it was called, but it's an official product from Nintendo) for Gameboy? One person whom went by the names Golden Nidoking/Professor Utsugi was looking into buying one of the cables, and getting a programmer to allow two people to "link battle/trade" through the computer this way. But, as far as I know, Golden Nidoking fell out of Pok駑on quite a long time ago.

--Meowth346

there is a "recent" post that shows a link/ lpt port cable for the gameboy camera.
Another thing would be fine:using I.R port of a notebook and analyse the data transmeted during a MG (emiting is necessary too).
first link
second link

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: D-Teclis ]

- - - - -
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 11-08-2001 02:46 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I HAVE suggested this before, but no help has come of it.

/edit Does this help at all?

I have no idea, it's just something I found.

This website has numerous GB info on these lines.
http://www.devrs.com/gb/hardware.php

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Manuel Calavera ]

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
JolteonG3
Farting Nudist
Member # 2146

Member Rated:
posted 11-08-2001 03:34 PM      Profile for JolteonG3   Author's Homepage   Email JolteonG3   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Manuel Calavera , I found something very similar searching as well, but the diagram is somewhat crytpic. For anyone interested, the firewire block diagram can be seen here.

That said, I've looked at the diagrams and found very little similiarities other than power (unless I saw the diagrams wrong it appears that even grounding is a different pin in each port). I'll continue to research this, but any new information anyone else finds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, everyone.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: JolteonG3 ]

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There should be a way to use the internet or a phone line and some kind of cable to make link cable trades and battles work on regular gameboys. The odd thing is, I'm suprised that some big business company hasn't already done it for that sole purpose.

I mean, if they made such a cable (obviously Nintendo wouldn't do such a thing, they're too dumb), I would go buy one RIGHT NOW! Who wouldn't? Why wouldn't Nintendo or some other company like Interact make one? Why hasn't it been done sooner, etc....

It would make a lot more sense than a mobile adapter... I say if a big business won't make one, we need to hire some smart hacker to do it for us...

EDIT: Fixed typo and added plug

Please visit zeldapower.com

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: MK ]

Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 11-09-2001 09:18 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JolteonG3:
They have a different number of metal prongs (or whatever the heck their called).

Pins.
Mac user here, too!

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.