The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » is it that much better?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it that much better?
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read here that 2 pokemon of the same species' stats could be different at the same level an its good to catch a lot of the same pokemon to see who has the best stats.

But dose it make that much of a difference? Would a pokemon that you selected as the best out of 20 be noticeably better in battle than just using the 1st one yo get?

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: psykloak1 ]

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 07:12 PM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*points to skill-statfinder*

*gets high and wanders off*

From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 09:34 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Then there is a good chance that most of your stats are 0-30 points off from max.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
psykloak1
Farting Nudist
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 10:04 PM      Profile for psykloak1   Author's Homepage   Email psykloak1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I wanna know is that if I use a normally caught pokemon, will it be noticeably different from the same pokemon that took an hour to get right?

- - - - -
-psyk
NeptuneCircle.com

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 11:15 PM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you put it that way, No.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2001 06:19 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stats, in order of importance:
1. Speed
2. Health
3. Special
4. Defence
5. Attack

Of course, the higher the stats get, the less important the DV becomes. I mean, a Steelix with a DF DV of 0 is -30... That's still 468 DF, frigging huge. Extremely low stats can usually be ignored, too. A Jynx with perfect Defence still isn't gonna be able to take much punishment without Reflect.

Speed is the most important stat of all because even one point can make a difference. When both your Pokémon are at 8 HP, you'll be happy if you've got the faster one. But don't knock yourself out trying to get high Speed on anything under 200 max, as they aren't likely to outrun much anyhow.

Health is most important of the three defencive stats because a drop in Health affects overall endurance, and not just physical or elemental endurance.

Special is more important than Attack and Defence because even if your Pokémon is Miltank or Heracross or something that uses nothing but Physical attacks, the Special Defence runs off the same DV.

And nobody will argue that Alakazam's Defence is more important than its Attack. Attack is the one stat that can be completely ignored a lot of the time.

But, while stats are important, you don't need to get within 4 points of max to be effective. You won't notice a drop of 8, 10 or even 12 points of Attack, for instance. You should catch a couple, and go for Speed and Health above all.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2001 08:56 PM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's ignorant to think that all Pokemon follow that pattern of importance - Ones with Thunderwave often don't care about how much faster something is than themselves. Ones that tank down often won't care much for Defense or Special to begin with because they can improve it themselves during battle.

If I really care about DVs, I'll catch around ten or so and then choose the best one out of them by Rare Candying them up to whatever level I can (30 or so Rare Candies in the Metal Box is useful) to see who gets higher stats. But mostly I just train the first one I find, because unless you're going for tournament level Pokemon, it really won't make too much noticeable difference.

- - - - -
żµ?

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
El Brando
Farting Nudist
Member # 878

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2001 11:32 PM      Profile for El Brando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*points to game shark*

Just go with what ya got.

- - - - -
For those of you whom are not connected with reality. I'm just trying to break the ice on the current hate issue. I'm not being really serious.

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2001 05:12 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Brando:
*points to game shark*

Just go with what ya got.

*points to exit*

I don't think he has a Gameshark.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scortch
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 2317

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Scortch   Author's Homepage   Email Scortch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It all depends. They will get better stats accordingly to there original ones. So maybe teh weakest will become the strongest.

- - - - -
I have come from a fiery pit in hell to deliver thoses who are trapped.

From: Burning Volcano gym | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle
I'm feeling fat and sassy~!
Member # 1690

Member Rated:
posted 11-04-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Twinkle        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scortch:
It all depends. They will get better stats accordingly to there original ones. So maybe teh weakest will become the strongest.

- - - - -
Hich loch faauto noxlattoyen.

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 11-05-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
orginally posted by Twinkle

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 11-05-2001 01:11 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At L100, fully trained & boxed, the stats of two pokémon of the same species can differ up to 30 points (one has DV 0, the other one has DV 15 for that particular stat). So, yeah, if you're really unlucky, you can get a sucky pokémon.

However, most n00b's (if they don't shark) will never get a fully trained & boxed pokémon anyway, so if you only plan to battle n00b's, you're pretty safe.

If you don't care about stats, you don't need to catch a whole bunch. For my first serious RBY team, I caught about 100 of each pokémon and compared their stats, and got pretty good ones.

For my second serious team, I sharked their DV's to near-perfect.

For my serious teams now, I don't care. And since you can breed in GSC, you can at least make sure your baby has good special/speed.

The chance of getting an incredibly sucky poké is just as big as getting a maxed one, if you catch 'em.

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 11-05-2001 11:05 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*points to earlier conversation with Scortch*
http://temp3.pokezero.com:88/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001192

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.