The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » G/S Question/Observation

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G/S Question/Observation
DarkSide
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1892

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for DarkSide   Author's Homepage   Email DarkSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recently I was attempting to catch the shiny Gyarados at the Lake of Rage (I'm new to Pokemon, so this is my first time through the game). I tried catching, checking approx. IVs then turning the game off and on... after a few tries I realized the IVs seemed to be preset for him.

I noticed something peculiar during this process: my Pokeballs, while usually failing to capture Gyarados, would occasionally cause him to become confused. The effect seemed to only last for one round. I was using Great Balls and Heavy Balls.

My question: is this normal, and has anyone experienced similar effects from Pokeballs? Is it an effect exclusive to Shiny Pokemon, or to Gyarados and certains others? I have never encountered the effect until now.

------------------
DarkSide

"It takes a lot to impress a castle wall."

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 12:39 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DarkSide, what happened was this...

The Gyarados knows Thrash. After using Thrash for a while the user becomes confused. So it wasn't the Poké-Ball that made him/her confused, but hey, it's ok. It wasn't a bad theory.

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 03:00 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"...the IVs seemed to be preset for him."

Yeah, that's about right. Shiny Pokemon have predetermined stats, well actually there are a few possibilities. The attack gene will be 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15 and defense, speed, and special will all be 10. Since the HP IV depends the other IVs the HP IV will be either 0 or 8, 0 if the stat is even and 8 if the attack is odd.

------------------

From: Auburn, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CrystalMeth
Farting Nudist
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for CrystalMeth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Duh. It's quite obvious that the defense, speed, and special of the red Gyarados are preset, cuz he's always shiny. I think he was trying to say that it's HP and attack were always the same as well.

------------------
~ Crystal the Anime cat girl ~
"Maybe Poccil could start stealing some sentance structure instead of just information."
-Mu

From: Hell on Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 11:44 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For someone who says he is new to Pokémon, you seem to know a lot about IVs/DVs.

They've already answered your questions, but I will elaborate a little bit.

All the DVs of that Gyrados will be the same except the Attack DV and possibly the HP DV.

Glad to see a new face that seems to understand the game, hope to see you more around this place.

------------------
Metalloid Research!!!!11!11
<Dunsparce> AHAHA, JMAN IS TEH SMRT

poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 07-31-2001 12:09 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
All the DVs of that Gyrados will be the same except the Attack DV and possibly the HP DV.

I believe the Attack DV of a shiny Pokemon is constant.

------------------
Pokemaster in charge of The Ultimate Pokemon Center
Check out my Gold/Silver Guides! http://www.poccil.f2s.com/games/gs/guides/
makes poccil and MK look like geniuses." -CrystalMeth

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 01:05 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Poccil, you've got to be joking! And you call yourself a researcher! Maybe the one Gyarados has a constant Attack DV, but, not ALL shinies. All shineys Defense, Speed, and Special DV must be set to 10. Their Attack is the one true DV that can be either
2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15.

And yes the HP DV can be different, but the HP DV is based on the others DVs, and in this cause, since attack is all that can vary, the HP DV will either be zero or eight.

-MK

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 07-31-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Red Gyarados has preset IVs/DVs of FAAA. That's why the "Wild Pokém,on is Shiny" Gameshark code always produced male Pokémon (thus causing people to believe that shinies were male only--bwa, ha, ah!), and that Gameshark code was merely making any Pokémon battle the same as the Red Gyarados battle (which is also when people starting thinking that you couldn't run away from Shinies--I wonder how many people ran from a Shiny to prove it couldn't be done? ^_^;; )

--Meowth346

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I was playing my Gold Version & ran into a wild shiny Drowzee, I sure didn't try to run for it =)

Let that be proven/debunked by someone dumb!

-MK

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 07-31-2001 11:31 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw a shiny Zubat once... I got away from it, tho.

------------------
A little sampling of my free time.
"Damn it! I leered that Umbreon twice, and Ember still isn't doing jack!!" -My brother having a newb moment.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
DarkSide
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1892

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 12:37 AM      Profile for DarkSide   Author's Homepage   Email DarkSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MK: Thanks for the info. It just invariably happened right after a ball attempt, and that kinda weirded me out. I hadn't encountered the move thrash before, so I didn't know about that side effect.

Stealth: Crys is correct. I am aware that the Defense, Special, and Speed IVs would be set at A, but the attack IV was set at E, thus forcing the HP IV to 0, which really sucks.

Meowth: One point of confusion with what you said. According to my calculation, Gyarados had IVs of EAAA, making HP 0. You say the preset IV is F for attack, implying that the HP would be 8, but it was not.
Also, a friend of mine may have a female shiny Gyarados from that event. I had his cart for a while and seem to remember seeing that. I'll check on that, though, it could be attributed to faulty memory.

Jman: My knowledge of the games workings came from reading AH (both the site and the BB) and a few other sites (Meowth's page, mainly) before I began playing the game. I went into the game with a comprehensive knowledge of it, so I guess I've had an advantage in that I knew tricks for optimizing my stats & moves the first time through.

Thanks all.

------------------
DarkSide

"It takes a lot to impress a castle wall."

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if the attack stat was preset. Darn, I was going to try to catch a Gyarados with an attack IV of F(15) in Crystal too. Oh well. Hopefully the "baby Pokemon" in the odd egg is random, that way I can save before receiving it and try to go for a shiny Magby.

------------------

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
StealthNinjaScyther, be careful when going for your shiny Magby. Before EVEN getting the egg, save the game, and don't save again until the egg hatches and you see what's inside, the egg might not even be a Magby. The deal is, once the egg is in your party, I believe what Pokémon it is and whether it will be shiny or not upon hatching is already pre-determined. So, don't save until you see if the egg hatches into what you want. If it doesn't become what you'd like it to, turn off the game, restart, get egg again, hope it's different, repeat if necessary.

Good Luck,
-MK

------------------
"Expect 2 plus 2 to equal 5 in an alternate dimension."

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 09:02 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the Attack DV of a shiny Pokemon is constant.

I believe that poccil is an intelligent, respected member of the online Pokemon community.

the egg might not even be a Magby. The deal is, once the egg is in your party, I believe what Pokémon it is and whether it will be shiny or not upon hatching is already pre-determined.

You're correct. The species is the same as the mother's or non-Ditto's, and I think the genes are set when you put the parents in the daycare or pick up the previous egg from the old man.

------------------
"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
-- Al Gore

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was talkin bout the "odd egg" though. If I'm not mistaken, it's an item you get from the day care center in Crystal only the first time you visit there. Whatever it hatches into will have a 50-50 chance of being shiny. And, it will know Dizzy Punch I think. Plus, the Pokémon it will hatch into varies. I think the popular babies are what it can be (cleffa, magby, pichu, igglybuff, elekid, etc...)

-MK

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now if only:

A. Clefable or Wigglytuff had an Attack stat worth giving a crap about

B. Dizzy Punch wasn't so crap weak to start with that nobody ever left it on their Kangaskhan; never mind yearned for it to be on anything else

Unless Dizzy Punch's power or sideaffect rate got cranked for Crystal, I'm not wetting my pants over Paracon Electabuzz/Wigglytuff/Clefable/Raichu movesets.
~Uiru

------------------

[This message has been edited by Uiru (edited 08-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Uiru (edited 08-01-2001).]

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark_Herakurosu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1677

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 10:03 PM      Profile for Dark_Herakurosu   Author's Homepage   Email Dark_Herakurosu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to mention Dizzy Punch confuses the user, so Paracon Electabuzz/Wigglytuff/Clefable/Raichu won't work too well.

------------------
"What's that?"
"What? It's just a cigarette!"
"Cigarette? Dat's Cigaweed!"

From: the wreckage of Indianapolis | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 08-01-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dizzy Punch has a 19.6% chance of confusing the victim.

Just ask my Machamp in Stadium 2. (Damn you, Koga!)

Edit: *destroys the typo demon*

------------------
A little sampling of my free time.
"Damn it! I leered that Umbreon twice, and Ember still isn't doing jack!!" -My brother having a newb moment.

[This message has been edited by cmsnrub25 (edited 08-01-2001).]

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 12:31 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I left it on my Kangaskhan.

It's called FLAVOUR people.

------------------
+Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - Ghostlight - 86476913
AIM - Corpselight Wisp

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I already knew that I would have to save before receiving the egg, thats why I said: "...that way I can save before receiving it and try to go for a shiny Magby." I know that the Pokemon inside the egg is determined as soon as you recieve and will not change.

On a similar topic, earlier this month I was hatching Hoppip eggs breed with my shiny Ditto, but after a total of 305 hatched eggs with no shiny I stopped to do other things. However I still had three unhatched eggs, so I put them into storage for hatching later. Today I took them out so that I could hatch them, and I did, and it just so happens that the 306th egg held the shiny Hoppip that I desired. My game must have a really evil sense of humor.

------------------

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 10:29 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
305 eggs?!

YOU'RE SICK.

Why the hell would you want a shiny anything, anyway? Yeah some of them look cool, but their stats are garbage. I've got a shiny Dratini that I have no intention of using.
~Uiru

------------------

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 10:34 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people think Shiny Pokémon are cool. Plus, they don't always have THAT bad of stats. At best they can be, under ideal conditions.

Attack - 15
Defense - 10
Speed - 10
Special - 10

(that's not THAT horrible)

Plus, all shinys will either have a Dragon or Grass Hidden Power, and, under ideal conditions again, will have base power of 69.

-MK

jsha1
Farting Nudist
Member # 1859

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for jsha1   Author's Homepage   Email jsha1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You forget HP DVs.

------------------
They're good. We're better.
Vini, vidi, I got away safely.
Visit the PTS Site!

Shenlong19
unregistered

posted 08-02-2001 06:13 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHEN IS C

------------------
Beware the Dynasty! Listen To Uncle!

"Together for ever, no matter how long"
-Dragonite to Flareon

IP: Logged
Twinkle
I'm feeling fat and sassy~!
Member # 1690

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for Twinkle        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:
I've got a shiny Dratini that I have no intention of using.
~Uiru

Can I have it? I really want a shiny Dragonite... I spent about a week surfing around in Dragon's Den before giving up...

------------------

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-02-2001 08:44 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did not "forget" the Hit Points (HP) DV, because it is not necessarily a true DV in the sense it is based upon the 4 main DVs. Either way, with a shiny it will be eight or zero. I purposly didn't mention it in the above post.

-MK

StealthNinjaScyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 1833

Member Rated:
posted 08-03-2001 01:40 AM      Profile for StealthNinjaScyther   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why? Well, I saw a shiny Hoppip once, and I wanted to catch it. I started to weaken it with my Heracross, but then a stupid critical hit KOed that little Hoppip. As soon as I learned of the shiny Ditto breeding trick I decided that it would be a good way to "replace" my lost Hoppip. Later on I obsessively began hatching Hoppip eggs, you know how the rest goes.

Shinies are kinda nifty if you ask me, they're not meant to be battlers, they're just special...I guess. I even have a little collection: Gyarados, Nidoqueen, Ditto, Dodrio, and Jumpluff(currently Skiploom). Soon I will have my shiny Magby, yes, soon...

------------------

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-03-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ouch, 306 eggs must've been annoying. I can relate because I breed for a Shiny Misdreavous once. It took me a while, I'd guess maybe around 60 eggs? Unsure on exact number. But, odd wise it shouldn't taken 306 eggs, cause each time you breed with a shiny ditto, the odds of the baby being shiny are 1 out of 64. That'd be like this.

Each time you get an egg, you spin roulette wheel numbered 1 - 64. If it lands on 64, you win. And you had to spin it 306 times till 64 came up. I feel for ya, it can be frustrating to get what you want via breeding.

CrystalMeth
Farting Nudist
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
posted 08-04-2001 11:53 PM      Profile for CrystalMeth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love Shinies. They may not have the best stats, but I think they're cool. I ran into a shiny unown yesterday, and as I was just about to throw a ball at it, the motherfucker ran away! It was the second random wild shiny I've run into. The first was an ugly yellow Exeggcute that I managed to catch even though I hate those annoying things. Other than that I have ofcorse my beautiful blood red Gyarados, my sex slave Ditto, and an adorable lavander and silver Dratini that took me forever to breed. Don't remember how many eggs it took, but it was alot.

- - - - -
-Crys
Meow!

From: Hell on Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a wild shiny, other than the Gyarados. I got my Dratini from the Game Corner. Dunno why I was trying to get a Dratini from Silver's Game Corner as I do that sort of thing in RB (where the money flows free and the girls are pretty ^_^), but eh.

And breeding for shinyness is a waste of frigging time. Thanks to breeding, I have an Exeggutor with DVs 15/11/13/15/15, a Clefable with 15/13/15/3/15, a Dragonite with 15/11/15/6/15... These are just the ones I can remember. I have a Misdreavus, Electabuzz, Heracross, Kingdra, Skarmory, Porygon2, and many more, all with obnoxiously high stats and all products of breeding. (Then there are the ones I found, like Moltres with 15/13/15/15/13, Eevee with 14/1/15/11/14, Mewtwo with 15/13/7/13/15 (which I never use), Forretress with 14/13/9/?/13 (that has a 65 Bug Power), Muk with 13/15/13/14/12, Machamp with 4/14/15/14/14, Venusaur with 3/12/12/15/15, and a ton more. ) Anyway, the point of this highly ego-boosting, number-crunching paragraph is that all the time spent breeding for shinies could be better spent breeding for champions. ^_^
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2001 11:06 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand where you're coming from Uiru, but, you gotta understand that shinys, from a non-borg assimilated perfectionist point of view, are kinda cool. Not perfect stat wise, but neat. But, for perfection, don't breed for them.

-MK

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2001 03:29 AM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shinies are so much better on a GBC...

I have Gray Gyarados form lake of rage... I'm using an old '89 GB, so ALL the pokemon are gray!

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 01:39 AM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about breeding for Hidden Power?

As for breeding for shinies, I must be lucky... Only took me about 16 tries to get my shiny Scyther ^_^; Looks better in Stadium than in GBC, though.

Then again, I've bred about 16 each of Abra, Tauros, and Dratini, too... Making a nice, neat 1 out of 64. Next I'll try Larvitar And eventually, my favorite, Staryu

Side note: Even though none of the Abras were shiny, one had predominantly higher stats than the others, and I've started raising it... Good old Bred-K... ^_^; I'd better stop talking now before I embarrass myself anymore.

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.