The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » What determines if a pokemon will be caught?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What determines if a pokemon will be caught?
Sean1952
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1902

Rate Member
posted 07-12-2001 11:48 AM      Profile for Sean1952   Email Sean1952   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Research Question:

Q1)What makes a creature more easily captured?
I am trying to capture 2 of the 3 fast creatures. I have it down to one hit point, and asleep, and I want to know what i can do further. Confuse it? drop the creatures defense with an attack? Or its speed? Or what? Level balls? I used 2 with a lvl 86 garados (not red) backing me. No effect.

------------------
IMHO,
Sean

From: chino, ca, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
D-Teclis
Farting Nudist
Member # 974

Member Rated:
posted 07-12-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for D-Teclis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.geocities.com/meowth346/gs/formulas/catch.htm
have fun

------------------
Hearing about brats getting their butt's kicked is always satisfying.~~Pokegod

Sean1952
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1902

Rate Member
posted 07-12-2001 05:22 PM      Profile for Sean1952   Email Sean1952   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the cross posts, this is where I really wanted to say it.

Confusion does not add to the chance that a pokemon will be caught?

There is not a bonas for Fast ball vs the Cats/Dogs like Entei? I am surprised!
This according to www.geocities.com/meowth346/gs/formulas/catch.htm

------------------
IMHO,
Sean

From: chino, ca, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-14-2001 01:57 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that Fast Balls work better with any Pokemon that can run away from you. However, this is based on "common knowledge", and we all know how reliable that is...

------------------
"Thank you for your e-mail. This Internet of yours is a wonderful invention."
-- George W. Bush, to Al Gore

Jolt135
Farting Nudist
Member # 1974

Member Rated:
posted 07-19-2001 09:48 AM      Profile for Jolt135   Author's Homepage   Email Jolt135   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, for those of you who don't want cross-site posts:
*pulls up his 54-page archives*
First, the formula is:
((((B*4-A*2)*C)/B)+D+1)/256 %
It looks weird but its OK. A few things that you should know about it is:
1) It returns a value that may have decimal places. The decimal places are not good. Round down, because that’s what the game does, so follow suite.

SO WHAT DO THE LETTERS MEAN?

A – The Pokémon’s CURRENT HP. For example, if you have been using False Swipe for the past 20 minutes, chances are the Pokémon will have 1 HP left, so you would use 1.
B – The Pokémon’s MAXIMUM HP. Not the max HP if they were Level 100, but what they are now. If it was a Donphan on Level 50 for example, and it had a HP DV of 14, it would have a max HP of 164, so you would use 164.

A note here before we continue. For A and B, if either of them are over 255, they should be divided by 2, and then 2 again. Chances are you won’t need to do this though unless your SHARKING! ~_~

C – The Pokémon’s capture rate. There are about 21 different values, and each of the Pokémon are assigned one of the values. The chart for this is as follows:

3 Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Suikun, Lugia, Houou
25 Clefable, Snorlax, Steelix, Scizor, Mantain, Skarmory
30 Chansey, Murkrow, Blissey
35 Ditto
45 Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Vileplume, Poliwrath, Machamp, Victreebel, Golem, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Gengar, Onix, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Gyarados, Lapras, Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Porygon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Mew, Chikoriita, Bayleef, Meganium, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Bellossom, Politoed, Jumpluff, Aipom, Espeon, Umbreon, Misdreavus, Wobbuffet, Qwilfish, Heracross, Delibird, Houndoom, Kingdra, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Celebi
50 Wigglytuff, Dugtrio, Alakazam
60 Tentacruel, Rapidash, Magneton, Cloyster, Kingler, Electrode, Weezing, Rhydon, Seaking, Starmie, Girafarig, Gligar, Sneasel, Ursaring, Corsola, Donphan
65 Sudowoodo
70 Slowking
75 Raichu, Ninetales, Parasect, Venomoth, Golduck, Primeape, Arcanine, Slowbro, Dewgong, Muk, Hypno, Marowak, Seadra, Lanturn, Togetic, Xatu, Azumarill, Yanma, Forretress, Granbull, Magkargo, Piloswine, Octillery, Tyrogue
90 Raticate, Fearow, Arbok, Sandslash, Golbat, Persian, Machoke, Haunter, Exeggcute, Furret, Noctowl, Ledian, Ariados, Crobat, Quagsire
100 Kadabra
120 Metapod, Kakuna, Pidgeotto, Nidorina, Nidorino, Gloom, Poliwhirl, Weepinbell, Graveler, Rhyhorn, Flaffy, Skiploom, Sunflora, Teddiursa, Houndour, Phanpy
150 Clefairy, Cleffa
170 Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff
180 Machop
190 Pikachu, Vulpix, Paras, Venonat, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Tentacool, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Doduo, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Gastly, Drowzee, Voltorb, Cubone, Koffing, Chinchou, Pichu, Togepi, Natu, Marril, Pineco, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Shuckle, Slugma, Remoraid
200 Abra
225 Krabby, Horsea, Goldeen, Staryu, Unown, Swinub
235 Nidoran (f), Nidoran (m), Mareep, Sunkern
255 Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Ekans, Sandshrew, Zubat, Oddish, Diglett, Meowth, Poliwag, Bellsprout, Geodude, Magikarp, Sentret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, Spinarak, Hoppip, Wooper

Now, roughly, the higher the number, the lower the evolution, and the easier it is to catch. That may help you when you go to find the Pokémon on the list. Now what you need to do is find the Pokémon on the list, and there will be a number next to the name. You need this number. However, it isn’t C yet. You need to alter it to take into account the Pokéball being used. I will refer to this number as C in the following table so that you know what I am on about.

PokéBall C=C
Great Ball C=C*1.5
Ultra Ball C=C*2
Master Ball If Pokémon is wild, it is caught.
Heavy Ball C=C + Bonus

BONUS FOR HEAVY BALL –
0 Arcanine, Machamp, Graveler, Dewgong, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Rhyhorn, Rhydon , Mewtwo, Forretress, Scizor, Ursaring, Kingdra, Donphan, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Ho-oh
+20 Golem, Onix, Gyarados, Lapras, Dragonite, Mantine, Lugia
+30 Snorlax, Steelix
-20 Any Pokémon not above

Level Ball
Your level > Enemy’s level C = C*2
Your level / 2 > Enemy’s level C = C * 4
Your level / 4 > Enemy’s level C = C * 8

Lure Ball
If you are fishing, C = C*3
Otherwise, C = C

Fast Ball
If the Pokémon usually runs away during an encounter, C = C * 4

Moon Ball
If the Pokémon evolves with a Moon Stone, C = C *4

Love Ball
If Pokémon are opposite genders, C = C * 8. If they are the same, or one is genderless, C= C

Park Ball
If your using it in the Park, (which you usually are), C = C * 1.5 (Like Great Ball)

Now you use the value that you have created using the Pokémon’s value and the ball type modifier, and use that as C. If C ever goes over 255 though, it reverts to 255. In other words, the most C can ever be is 255.

Now that you have C, we find D. This is a lot easier. It is just a modifier if the enemy has a status affliction, like they are asleep etc.

Asleep or Frozen D=10
Paralyzed, Poisoned, or Burned D=5

Now that you have a D, you can put all of the values into the formula, and you can get a value. Now this is the fun part. A random number between 1 and 256 is generated. If it is less than or equal to the value created, the Pokémon is caught. If it is larger, the Pokémon breaks free.

------------------

From: Woodbridge, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 07-19-2001 08:33 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, in conclusion, put him to sleep, switch to your level 86 guy, and throw Level Balls. You'll have a 58/256 chance per ball of capturing him.

* Atma needs to upload his catch rate calculating Excel file to the web

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 07-19-2001 11:19 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Love Balls only work if they're the same species too.

------------------
!

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-20-2001 04:58 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What if they're compatible species?

------------------
"His ferocity is legendary - his anger against injustice blazes like a six-alarm fire within him."
-- Transformers: Car Robots Optimus Prime tech spec

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.