The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Beat Up results.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beat Up results.
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 05-24-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, did a test today since I finally finished Aipom.

Ran a free battle, on one team I packed Aipom and filled the other slots with Pokemon having a high Attack and low Special Attack, namely;
Granbull, Tyranitar (relatively,) Tauros, Heracross and Hitmontop.

On the other team, Blissey and Forretress.

~
Aipom calls the Beat Up
- Total Attack = 1764
- Total Special Attack = 1122

Damage against Blissey: 195
Damage against Forretress: 45

~
Again, but with a rental Sneasel heading out the Beat Up
- Total Attack = 1792
- Total Special Attack = 1084

Damage against Blissey: 186
Damage against Forretress: 46

~
Replacing Granbull with my Baton Passing Farfetch'd, Aipom calling the Beat Up.
Three Swords Dances, then Baton Pass to Beat Up.
- Total Attack = 1479
- Total Special Attack = 957

Damage against Blissey: 145
Damage against Forretress: 38

~
Replacing Blissey and Forretress with Magcargo.
- Total Attack = 1764
- Total Special Attack = 1122

Damage against Magcargo: 46
Damage against full Acid Armour: 47
Damage against full Acid Armour+Amnesia: 46

~
Replacing all the teammates of Aipom with high Special Attack, low Attack Pokes.
Omastar, Vaporeon, Ampharos, Jynx and Magcargo.
- Total Attack = 1231
- Total Special Attack = 1698

Damage against Blissey: 121
Damage against Forretress: 35

~
Same as previous one, but with Sneasel.
- Total Attack = 1259
- Total Special Attack = 1660

Damage against Blissey: 126
Damage against Forretress: 26

"/
Overall conclusion: Fuck me with a stick. You'll notice the damage in the first test, then notice the only difference in the second test is a slight raising of Attack and lowering of Special - Resulting in LOWER damage on Blissey, but higher on Forretress. This could mean Aipom uses Physical while Sneasel uses Special. But then look at the results from the other
tests.
Beat Up clearly ignores any status modifiers on EITHER Pokemon, at least that much I can work out. The first two are too close to really draw conclusions absolutely, but the last tests show the same trend, raise the
total Attack in the team and Blissey damage rises, lower the total Special and Forretress damage lowers.
Which still makes no sense even if it just picked whichever defensive stat,or offensive stat, was the highest and went with that. I mean, Forretress would come out Physical defending, which is fine. But then Blissey would come out Special defending, which is clearly not the case.
Blissey suffers more the more Attack there is, but Forretress seems to relish the lack of Special.

Someone tell me Stadium2 is bugged or this move is.... "/

------------------
+Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - Ghostlight - 86476913
AIM - Corpselight Wisp

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2001 09:27 PM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This interests me. Try replacing Forretress with Magcargo as Magcargo wouldn't resist Beat Up at all.

Very very interesting. I'd also like to know how it applies King's Rock to the equasion. IE, if everyone has King's Rock, is there a 60ish% chance to flinch?

------------------
No matter what you read or what you're told, experience will always yeild the truth.
-Moltres23

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2001 09:00 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moltres23:
This interests me. Try replacing Forretress with Magcargo as Magcargo wouldn't resist Beat Up at all.

Very very interesting. I'd also like to know how it applies King's Rock to the equasion. IE, if everyone has King's Rock, is there a 60ish% chance to flinch?

No, the chances of anything at all come from the one using Beat Up - A Scope Lens on it will give everyone the boosted critical hit chance and so on. I don't know if Darkglasses alters anything though.

------------------
+Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - Ghostlight - 86476913
AIM - Corpselight Wisp

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-02-2001 11:13 AM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is fantastic!
There is more to Beat Up than meets the eye!
The question is, if Beat Up is a multi-hit move and if every hit from a multi-hit move counts as an individual hit...does that mean that the effects of a King's Rock would recalculate for every hit?
If it does that means that you have potentialy 6 chances to get 10% for a flinch, wich could be the secret of Beat Up.
Hmmm....how much PP does Beat up have again?

------------------
"I'm used to being wrong, so don't worry about it." -Mick when asked to proove his claims.

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 06-07-2001 02:08 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

This is mighty the intrest. Perhaps choosing something besides those 2 pokemon who are... massively defensive will shed more light on the problem.

And test for 60% Flinch. That would be the greatest of all.

------------------
Naoki-Chan changed name to self
[X-Trip]Fossilized killed self with m4a1

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 06-07-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charmeleon42:

This is mighty the intrest. Perhaps choosing something besides those 2 pokemon who are... massively defensive will shed more light on the problem.

And test for 60% Flinch. That would be the greatest of all.

If Mu doesn't answer it by the time I get home this evening, then I'll test it, but I seriously doubt it.

I checked over Jedah's translated list and while Beat Up is on there (Mu had asked about this elsewhere and I didn't have the time to answer him there), there are no special notes about it. Nothing has ever stated that the KR bonus is based on anything other than something being calculated at the end of the attack.

<shrug> I guess we'll find out for sure in about a little over 1/4 of a day at the latest...

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 06-07-2001 08:09 PM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Continue:

<shrug> I guess we'll find out for sure in about a little over 1/4 of a day at the latest...

<grumbles> This is a later than I said it would be and the sampling size isn't as large as I would want it to be, but I don't have any more time for testing this evening.

The Beat Up pokemon:
(All at level 100)
Houndoom
Dugtrio
Girafarig
Sneasel
Nidoqueen
Aipom

The target:
Lapras (level 100)

Conditions:
All of the attackers are faster than the target and all were given a King's Rock. This was done in order to maximize the possibility of getting an additional flinch bonus as has been brought up in this thread.

Sets consisted of 8 uses of Beat Up (as the 9th consistently fainted the Lapras). There were 4 sets performed.

The results:

Number of Beat Up attacks: 32

Number of turns in which the opponent flinched: 5

Percentage of flinching: 15.6%

Standard flinch rate for King's Rock: 11.7%

Conclusion:
The higher flinch rate exhibted during the trials is most likely due to the small sampling size. It would likely even out over the space of 100 or 200 trials.

The trial information has a much higher possibility of supporting the idea that the King's Rock does not grant additional oppotunities for flinching in multi-hit attacks, even if the hits come from multiple pokemon.

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.