next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Question on DVs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on DVs
~Steel Arcanine~
Farting Nudist
Member # 1642

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2001 07:38 PM      Profile for ~Steel Arcanine~   Author's Homepage   Email ~Steel Arcanine~   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know what DVs are, but I have a few questions:

1. How do you find DVs?
2. What are "good" DVs?
3. Would a Lvl 23 Chansey have the same DVs as a level 100 Chansey?

------------------
"A Pokémon long admired for its beauty.It runs gracefully as if on wings."-red/blue Pokédex
"This ledgendary Chinese Pokémon is considered magnificent.Many people are enchanted by it's grand mane."-gold Pokédex
"It's magnificent bark convays a sense of majesty.Anyone hearing it can't help but grovel before it"-silver Pokédex

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2001 07:45 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. How do you find DVs?

Well, you can find it if it has no stat xp or full stat xp by rearranging the formulae found on Pokemon Stat Mechanics page. Their ought to be a link on the links page.

2. What are "good" DVs?

I'll let someone else field this.

3. Would a Lvl 23 Chansey have the same DVs as a level 100 Chansey?

I don't really understand what you mean. If I understand you right, the answer is a Pokemon's DVs don't change as it levels. They are set in stone when it is generated by the code.

------------------
"What is a teenager?" - actual questions from my history textbook

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2001 07:53 PM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The question of whether a DV is good or not is pretty damn subjective. Some people don't worry about their DVs, some take a long time catchin 'mons with great ones. I only consider my Speed, HP, and Special DVs important enough to spend time catching a Pokemon with good enough ones.

------------------
Crucify the insincere tonight

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
~Steel Arcanine~
Farting Nudist
Member # 1642

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for ~Steel Arcanine~   Author's Homepage   Email ~Steel Arcanine~   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Considering I failed Math, I'll just Catch 'em with good stats. Thanks for the help anyway.

------------------
"A Pokémon long admired for its beauty.It runs gracefully as if on wings."-red/blue Pokédex
"This ledgendary Chinese Pokémon is considered magnificent.Many people are enchanted by it's grand mane."-gold Pokédex
"It's magnificent bark convays a sense of majesty.Anyone hearing it can't help but grovel before it"-silver Pokédex

Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2001 12:41 AM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some of the information on our Catching page relates to DVs, if indirectly. There are also some very general suggestions there about placing value on Defense vs. Special, etc. if you have to make a choice.

For more involved discussion (with a bit of math that you probably don't need to pay close attention to) check out the Pokémon Mechanics document on Necrosaro's page.

I only do legit (in Dodrio mode, mind you) catching now for team building and I've settled on the following rule of thumb for catching. I save up for 99 Ultra Balls, and fill a box at a time with the pokémon species I'm interested in. I then use the Stadium spreadsheet to compare the specimens of equal level, and throw away the worst. I keep doing this until all 99 balls are gone, or until I catch one with really great stats. Sometimes I won't catch one with great stats, but at least it's a pretty good method for avoiding anything with really crappy stats.

I also use the Skill-Stat Finder (see our Links page again) to see what I should be shooting for. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Er, in looking over the thread again, Rysto and DL did a great job of addressing your specific questions (and for that matter, already referenced the Mechanics doc). Didn't mean to seem as though I was trying to overwrite what was said previously - just adding a few details.

[This message has been edited by Wintermute (edited 05-09-2001).]

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2001 11:09 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's the way I do it -only I catch 140 at a time. Catching 140 Chansey in the Unknown Dungeon was not fun. Not even with dodrio mode.

I love the Stadium spreadsheet though. I would buy stadium, even if it came without the battle function. Stadium is a great help in managing your Pokémon.

------------------
Me: Mick_Hale, you're right!
poccil: Mick_Hale isn't even posting on this topic.

Nirvana
Farting Nudist
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2001 03:26 PM      Profile for Nirvana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK then....

1. A method here you may try, Its N-Mans example. The formula for finding DVs is:

DV = 15-((M-Y)/2)

M = Pokémon's Maximum Stats
Y = Your Pokémons Stats

Example:

A Machamp at Lv100 with Maximum Stat experience has an Attack Stat of 346. Machamps' Maximum Attack Stat is 358 so:

DV = 15 - ((358 - 346 = 12) / 2) = 15 - 6 = 9

So a Machamp with 346 attack has a DV of 9 for Attack.

2. The best DV you can get is 15. Anything close to that is good. Shiny Pokémon have DVs of 10, but I think they have 0 for HP but I am not sure. Ask an expert.

3. I think a Pokémon's DV is locked as of when you attain/catch it.

Hope it helps!

------------------
-ŃďrVÄn@
-E-Mail: NirvanaChan@pokedaily.com

From: United Kingdom. | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2001 04:06 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could always go here if you want everything explained to you in a bewildering and confusing fashion.
From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
~Steel Arcanine~
Farting Nudist
Member # 1642

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for ~Steel Arcanine~   Author's Homepage   Email ~Steel Arcanine~   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can shark DVs? SWEET!_!

------------------

Psybro
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2001 05:32 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but if anyone who cares finds out, you might not be very popular with them.
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2001 10:56 PM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And that's why it's better to shark exact DVs and not max stats a whole time. Just typed up a brief thing in the Tower. Essentially, if your Kazam hasn't got a physical move, don't give him a 15 DV for Attack. Electrode doesn't need 15 for Speed, as long as he's faster than Mewtwo.
From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 06:08 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to shark all fourway max DVs. Then the game sucked, so I restarted. No more four way max sharking! I only shark them according to their usage. EG:

-Ampharos-
Thunderbolt
Fire Punch
Thunder Wave
Reflect

This doesn't need an Attack DV at all, so I sharked it to 3.

------------------
Absurd length? Poo.

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Brayze
Farting Nudist
Member # 1286

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 06:10 AM      Profile for Brayze     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only breed DVs. Sharking takes the fun out of getting a powerful pokemon.

------------------
"Have bacon! Coffee! Come on, you're American!" - The Japanese

From: Lunar Palace ver. 3.1 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Psybro
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BRAYZE!
You're not dead!?!

Brayze
Farting Nudist
Member # 1286

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 07:41 PM      Profile for Brayze     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sleeping, not dead. Once I saw that Stadium GS came out, life was breathed back into my corpse, and I lept to life.

Now I have a cult.

------------------
"Have bacon! Coffee! Come on, you're American!" - The Japanese

From: Lunar Palace ver. 3.1 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
JohtoMaster
Farting Nudist
Member # 1023

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for JohtoMaster   Author's Homepage   Email JohtoMaster   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Somebody came up with a good idea if you decided to shark your DV's. If you have a Pokémon that does not have an physical moves, give it an Attack DV of 1. This then made the Pokémon Female, so it was resistant from most Attraction strategies, and with a miniscule Attack, Confusion damage was considerably less than if you had an Attack DV of 15. This strategy has been implemented on all of my Pokémon, and has saved my butt to Confuttraction teams more times than you can count. For that I feel a little guilty, but not enough to lose sleep over.

------------------
BuRn BuLbA bUrN!
pOkÉmOn InFeRnO!
bUrN bUlBa BuRn!

From: Valparaiso, IN, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.