The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » The mechanics behind Beat Ups...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The mechanics behind Beat Ups...
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-14-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know it is a 10 base power per participant.
What I don't know is if it is a multi-hit attack(can go trample through Substitudes), if it counts as a 10BP Special attack from the pokemon inflicting the damage or the one calling the Beat? Also, is the total STAB calculated from the caller of the Beat or per each 10BP attack?

------------------
"Come on guys, your mindless comments are making the Dreamer look coherent." -cfalcon

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mick_Hale
Total Moron
Member # 419

Member Rated:
posted 05-17-2001 09:47 AM      Profile for Mick_Hale   Email Mick_Hale   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, what I wanna know is if someone sharks on a Special attack raising move, does everyone get that extra boost?
From: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 05-21-2001 04:22 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll let my information on Beat Up escape from the confines of my own world just this once.
It is however, not complete because testing is still required.

Beat Up is a 10 base power hit from every person on your team still alive, it is a multi-hit the same as Barrage or Fury Attack.
It has an individual chance of critical hitting on each blow, not just one chance.

Also, the Pokemon using it is the only one checked for modifiers - At least, this is how it appears. Because the formula of the Beat is based on the Level of the one 'calling' it, not the ones performing it.
For example, a level 5 Aipom calling a Beat with 5 level 100 Pokemon in his team will do shit nothing damage. He only 'borrows' his team mates relevant stat (I say relevant, because, well it'll be further down)
I theorise because of this, the critical hit rate will only be altered if he has a Scope Lens - Altering it for the whole team. Although I don't know this for sure.

Beat Up also does not give you a Super Effective on anything, nor the opposite - It seems to be effectively typeless the same as Future Sight. I don't know whether you get STAB or not. Because of my next point.

Beat Up on an Aipom is a Physical attack.

And I'm not lying. I've raised my Aipom to 78 now and the one thing I've noticed is that while Beat Up will rip through Williams Jynx, even at level 78 with level 100 Pokemon in the team, it will barely scratch the level 43 Gravellers going to Red.
I don't know why, some research is going to be done on this later, but the way it acts in game is definately Physical based, and not just that, it seems to be Normal type. Even with a Physical base doesn't explain why Gravellers (and indeed ALL Rock Pokemon) take so little damage from it.

I'm going to raise a Sneasel with Beat Up to see if that is Physical too, or if the type of Beat Up varies depending on the tyupe of Pokemon.
Because of this fact, I don't know if there is ANY STAB, but if there is, it will be from based purely from the one calling it because of the way the code handles the attack. (Ie: It actually just calls up the stat for the other types then applies it for the next hit)

I'm going to test in link battles and Stadium2 once my Aipom finishes training.

So bottom line is, it may not even be a Special based attack, because it certainly isn't for my Aipom so far. This strangely, encourages me. Because as anyone knows, Sneasel is the main Beater and his stats lean towards Attack, not Special Attack as you'll notice. There could be a good reason.

Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - Ghostlight - 86476913
AIM - Corpselight Wisp

[This message has been edited by Mu (edited 05-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mu (edited 05-21-2001).]

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bugcatcher Ed
Farting Nudist
Member # 3289

Member Rated:
posted 03-24-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Bugcatcher Ed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

I'm resurrecting this long dead topic to ask: Did anyone ever figure out all the mechanics of beat up? & have they changed for the advanced generation games, as many other things have? And does beat up work any differently in 2 on 2 battles? For example, will beat up take into account modified stats of the second pokemon? How about items held by the second pokemon?

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.