The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » STAB question, please answer. don't worry. I promise it is not a newbie question. :D

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STAB question, please answer. don't worry. I promise it is not a newbie question. :D
Kingdra The horsea
Farting Nudist
Member # 1637

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Kingdra The horsea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokemon's stats are basically what make up the pokemon along with the power of the moveset. Each stat. is numbered to the spcl.def/def. of the defending pokemon. and so froth. Its all math if you think about it, and luck also has extreme factors in battles. After these words on how pokemon batles work I have a question. please answer this if you know this.
here's an example to my hard question
Marowak
Pikachu
Marowak does E-quake. As many of us know it will get STAB for this, however the .5 is the thing I do not get. Does the .5 add 50% of the total beginning hit or does it 50 points to the power of E-quake? The same goes for Sunnyday/Rain Dance. Does the 50% boost of the certin poke's raise to the total starting damage of flamethrower/surf or does it add half the power of the move by .5. Or does it not really matter in the long run when they give off the same damage. Im thinking it really has no diff. but stats. would effect the 150 power E-quake and half the damage adding to the basic damage. Thank you, please answer this question if anyone knows it. *bows*

From: Sayreville NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 05-03-2001 06:20 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To answer your question, in STAB, if a Pokemon's attack matches its type, its power is 150% its original value.

Basically, it all adds 50%.

------------------
Peter Occil, in charge of The Ultimate Pokemon Center
Check out my Gold/Silver Guides! http://www.poccil.f2s.com/games/gs/guides/

incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 05-03-2001 07:29 PM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A stab would result in multiplying the attack part of the formula by 1.5, thus where the 1.5 is inserted does not matter.

------------------
"Extensive testing has proven that he's the best leek-wielding ninja duck in the game, and I stand by that." -Versus Books on Farfetch'd

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-04-2001 03:20 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why don't you look at the non-forum part of the site?
From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-04-2001 07:59 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/compendium/battdam.htm

The STAB is multiplied onto the final damage. In the case of Marowak vs. Pikachu, the average damage is 385, as opposed to the 383 it would be if it multiplied the attack base power.

------------------
"If you're walking alone in the forest, and a tree falls on you, do you make a sound?"
-- The Confused Philosopher

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-04-2001 08:58 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
does this mean stab is applied to the damage AFTER it becomes an integer? so if a pokémon were to do 12.8 points of damage it would only do 18 with stab (int(int(12.8)*1.5)=int(12*1.5)=int(18)=18) as opposed to 19 (int(12.8*1.5)=int(19.2)=19)?

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

mleo2003
Farting Nudist
Member # 1618

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2001 02:38 PM      Profile for mleo2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always thought that to, though I made a damage calculator on my computer with C++, and the only time it changes to an interger is after every thing is calculated, and it has proven to be very accurate in it's findings.

------------------
Come to my Pokemon Gameshark Page:
http://www.maxpages.com/mattspokeshark/

From: Forest, Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-06-2001 09:21 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The calculation rounds down any decimals to the lower integer after every step, if that's what you mean.

------------------
"What exactly does the Speed rating do? The only thing I've found is that it determines who goes first each turn, which is pretty pointless."
-- Me, two years ago

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.