my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » substitute tests

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: substitute tests
spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-21-2001 10:19 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanks to the help of blissey, steelix, dragonite, and shuckle, i've found some things about substitute that i don't THINK anyone knows yet. namely, that substitute doesn't retain the creator's stats or type, just the hp.

substitute's entry

a shuckle with a blissey substitute works quite well. and if i missed something on substitute's attack page, please lemme know. i THINK i got it all, but...

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

Biffster
Farting Nudist
Member # 269

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2001 11:06 PM      Profile for Biffster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quick note on sub... If a Pokémon has a sub out it can still be hit by Sandstorm to take away the HP on the bar.

------------------
*** gsbot2 has quit IRC (Connection reset by peer)
*** gsbot2 has joined #battlearena
<gsbot2> Dog stepped on the surge protector!..

From: Viridian City (On the road at least) | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not that it matters, but I knew that. Only because I've recieved an excellent attack page from one of my helpers, Continue. *shrug*

I didn't add it yet, though.

------------------
Uno, Dos, Zesty!!
http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/jman/home1.html

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2001 07:37 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1.) Does sub block Haze and psyche up? By Haze I mean "will the sub stay out along with any status changes the defender has used?"

2.) So that means that a Mankey's Rock Smash will not do 2x damage when used against a blissy's sub?

3.) What Happens when Transform is used against someone with a sub up?

4.) What happens when Pain Split is used against a sub?

5.) What happens when a sub is up when an opponent uses perish song?

6.) Can sub be used in conjunction with Mirror Coat/ Counter?

7.) Do status modifyers like acid armor, amnesia still transfer to a sub?

8.) WHat do you mean that subs do not share their users type? DOes everything just do 1x damage?

------------------
Visit my webspace @ www.geocities.com/thefastcat/

poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 04-23-2001 09:10 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To make testing easier, let me add this.

Mr. Mime is the only Pokemon that can learn Substitute naturally (L11 GS; L47 RBY)

Using Transform changes the user into the creator of the sub, not the sub itself.

Pain Split will not affect a sub.

------------------
Peter Occil, in charge of The Ultimate Pokemon Center
Check out my Gold/Silver Guides! http://www.poccil.f2s.com/games/gs/guides/

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-23-2001).]

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2001 06:31 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
spunman: substitute doesn't retain the creator's stats or type, just the hp.

10k: So that means that a Mankey's Rock Smash will not do 2x damage when used against a blissy's sub?

I think spunman's statement only applies to when a Sub is transferred to another Pokemon via Baton Pass.

------------------
"Ash isn't too bright..."
-- Review of Pokemon: The Movie 3

geese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1152

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2001 07:58 AM      Profile for geese   Email geese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 10,000Lb.Snorlax:

Unfortunately for Blissey, no.

------------------
"you dirty, motherless son of an icecream maker!" - Geese Howard, FF Special

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-01-2001 02:25 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
10,000Lb.Snorlax:
1.) Does sub block Haze and psyche up? By Haze I mean "will the sub stay out along with any status changes the defender has used?"
the sub works off the current pokémon's defensive stats. if you screech a pokémon with a sub, the sub's defense still drops. if you then haze it, the sub's defense returns to normal.

2.) So that means that a Mankey's Rock Smash will not do 2x damage when used against a blissy's sub?
it will if blissey is still out. if the sub was passed to another pokémon, the new pokémon's type is used, not blissey's.

3.) What Happens when Transform is used against someone with a sub up?
transform works the same with or without the sub.

4.) What happens when Pain Split is used against a sub?
pain split doesn't work against a sub.

5.) What happens when a sub is up when an opponent uses perish song?
perish song works the same whether there are subs out or not.

no, they miss if you have a sub out.

7.) Do status modifyers like acid armor, amnesia still transfer to a sub?
yes.

8.) WHat do you mean that subs do not share their users type? DOes everything just do 1x damage?
i mean user as in the pokémon that used the substitute attack. if it is baton passed, the sub does not function of the type of the pokémon that used substitute, it uses the type of the pokémon that is currently protected by the sub.

did i get everything?

------------------

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 06:23 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wee... I smell a new Vapoureon (GODDAMIT, it's not VapOr, it's VapOUr! Spell right, yanks!).

-Vapoureon-
Whirlpool
Baton Pass
Substitute
Acid Armor
@Leftovers

------------------
Absurd length? Poo.

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manuel Calavera:
Wee... I smell a new Vapoureon (GODDAMIT, it's not VapOr, it's VapOUr! Spell right, yanks!).

What the hell r u talking about?... it's vaporeon...

------------------
Cause mostly it's the cooler and more mature who WrItE LiKe ThIs...so f u c k off, okay?
-JoHtO TrAiNeR

DVs? What the fuck? Are you trying to SOUND smart or something?
-JoHtO TrAiNeR

From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 05-20-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
K, well, Metalloid Research got its substitute page up, and it will answer all your questions(hopefully).

Find it here:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/jman/substitute.html

------------------
1 l13k m1lk. 1 w15h 1 w45 7h3 5m4r7.

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-21-2001 04:14 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jman: excellent! i do believe you've covered EVERYTHING! but you lose a couple brownie points for making me open msie again...
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2001 03:52 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

Madd props to Continue, he wrote that up.

Again, sowwy about MSIE... I'm working on fixing that stuff.

Oh, and this may be a good time to ask...

Would you like to be on my Sneakerton 3 tourney team? Not sure if you are interested in that kinda stuff...

------------------
1 l13k m1lk. 1 w15h 1 w45 7h3 5m4r7.

[This message has been edited by Jman (edited 05-23-2001).]

Sudowoodo
Farting Nudist
Member # 1768

Member Rated:
posted 05-24-2001 08:48 AM      Profile for Sudowoodo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have two questions... Maybe they are stupid but please answer them anyways...

1. Will Substitute PREVENT fainting from Explosion/Selfdestruct? I don't think so but I wanna know for sure.

2. After Baton Passing, will the Baton Passer still have the cut HP? In other words, will both the Passer AND the Passee (receiver) have cut HP? Or will just the passee have cut HP.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
The moon is made of chocolate

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-24-2001 10:04 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if you explode with a sub out, you still faint. if your opponent explodes while you have a sub out, they faint and break the sub (unless they're a lvl 5 voltorb or something), but you will not faint.

if a sub is baton passed, the baton recipient doesn't suffer an hp loss. hp is only lost on the turn the sub is made.

------------------

Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Random Loser:
What the hell r u talking about?... it's vaporeon...

We English spell it right. The stupid Yanks changed the spelling of it because they can't spell, and they can't say "mirror" right. Mir-ror, not Mee-ror.

------------------
Absurd length? Poo.

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-28-2001 06:39 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Vaporeon" is a proper noun, so there's only one correct spelling.

------------------
"In the year 2000... Cigarette companies deny that they are targeting children with their new mascot, Smokémon."
-- Conan O'Brien

Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 06-07-2001 11:54 AM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
Thanks.

Madd props to Continue, he wrote that up.

Apologies for not responding sooner, but I normally only get the chance to check out AH while I'm at work, and work has been very busy for the past few weeks.

Anyway, credit should go to Bandraptor, most of the testing was hers.

There are a couple of things I want to re-test. IIRC, it might only be the recoil moves. My own testing for those showed different results, namely only taking 1 point of damage when one of those was used to break a Substitute in one hit.

Also, Bandraptor never got around to posting results of tests on Substitute for Stadium 2 to see if anything had changed (my own experience with Lock-On has confirmed that the interaction with that move has not).

Hey, Jman, could Metalloid's credits page be made more like AH's, so that the proper credit could be given for things like this (like Bandraptor as Primary contributor for Substitute and myself as Secondary)?

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 06-08-2001 12:45 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that would work. I've got a lot of time now, its summer for me, starting today!

------------------
"Special K 0wnz j00."

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.