next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Egg Question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egg Question
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 06:55 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When breeding, is the gender of the baby Pokemon determined at conception or hatching?

------------------
Official PBS punching bag
My G/S Strategy Guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/game/25388.html
(under the name Donald)

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
geese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1152

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 07:53 AM      Profile for geese   Email geese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Hatching.

------------------
"you dirty, motherless son of an icecream maker!" - Geese Howard, FF Special

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 08:12 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Acutally, the DV's (and thus the gender) is determined when the egg is laid. In other words, when the old man stands outside of the daycare, the DV's and thus gender has already been determined.

------------------
"I remember somebody saying that measuring machine performance in bits is like measuring your penis in flowers." -IaZeye, enlightening us on the mystery of bits.

geese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1152

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 08:36 AM      Profile for geese   Email geese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lark84:
Acutally, the DV's (and thus the gender) is determined when the egg is laid. In other words, when the old man stands outside of the daycare, the DV's and thus gender has already been determined.

Hey Lark, I don't mean to make it a habit to disagree with everything you say but...
the genes are determined at the hatching stage, not the egg collecting stage.

------------------

Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 09:22 AM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, geese, try disagreeing to things where you could possibly be right, hm? Go pick up an egg, run around until it nearly hatches, save, hatch, check genes, restart, hatch again, check genes. THEY'LL BE THE SAME. If that doesn't tip you off to the lack of correctness of your platform of this issue, nothing will.

------------------
*Do DO do DO Do DO do* I'm Prozac the Bear!

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
geese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1152

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 09:39 AM      Profile for geese   Email geese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Oh dear. I feel quite stupid now. I totally misread the question. I knew the answer to this through testing it myself. Oh well, that is what comes from trying to read message boards whilst at work. My infinite apologies to Lark. Back to work for me now.

------------------

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2001 12:55 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lark.

OK Vap and Wooper, back to the Daycare with you...

------------------
Official PBS punching bag
My G/S Strategy Guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/game/25388.html
(under the name Donald)

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-20-2001 03:24 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i've heard this and i've heard that the genes are determined as soon as you drop the parents off. does anyone know for sure that the genes aren't determined BEFORE the old man shows up in the pen, or is this something we should look into?

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-20-2001 10:59 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you put two compatible Pokémon into the Day Care, then the babies stats are decided. Remove one Pokémon and put it back in, and the baby-to-be's stats will change (ie, different DVs).

If you put two incompatible Pokémon in the day care (ie Mewtwo+Mew), then the stats, etc. are not recalculated, and using a device such as gameshark to force an egg will re-use the last stats.

*Thinks.* Mm, I may have a mistake in there. I guess that I should try breeding something like Pikachu, then removing them, putting Marill in, taking them out without getting an egg, then seening if Marill or Pikachu's stats are cached for an egg when putting in two Mewtwo...

Er, well, I guess that you can feel free to experiment, spunman. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2001 03:25 AM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you may be wrong, Meowth. If I understand you correctly, you mean that the baby's DV's will be the same, until you take the pokémon out and put them back in. But that's not the case, at least not from what I've experienced.

I've been trying to breed for a shiny Oddish. One shiny ditto and a normal oddish was put in the daycare. I walked around outside the daycare, collected eggs and hatched them. I never took out the pokémon from the daycare, still, the baby had different stats every time I hatched it. I have no shiny yet, though

*re-reads Meowth's post*

Hmm... Do you mean the DV's will always be the same for the babies hatched (each baby will have the exact same stats) or will they change, but in a certain range? No. 2 might be true, but no. 1 isn't.

------------------
"I remember somebody saying that measuring machine performance in bits is like measuring your penis in flowers." -IaZeye, enlightening us on the mystery of bits.

mleo2003
Farting Nudist
Member # 1618

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2001 01:31 PM      Profile for mleo2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meowth346:
If you put two incompatible Pokémon in the day care (ie Mewtwo+Mew), then the stats, etc. are not recalculated, and using a device such as gameshark to force an egg will re-use the last stats.

*Thinks.* Mm, I may have a mistake in there. I guess that I should try breeding something like Pikachu, then removing them, putting Marill in, taking them out without getting an egg, then seening if Marill or Pikachu's stats are cached for an egg when putting in two Mewtwo...
--Meowth346

If anyone can give me the code for instantly breeding two monsters, I'll try the research idea posted here by Meowth.

------------------
Come to my Pokemon Gameshark Page:
http://www.maxpages.com/mattspokeshark/

From: Forest, Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fred Winner
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1650

Rate Member
posted 04-22-2001 01:43 AM      Profile for Fred Winner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe Meowth was saying that once you put them in, the DVs for THAT BABY POKEMON are decided. Take it out, recalculation. Get an egg, recalculation for the next egg, etc.

------------------
Physical age doesn't matter. It just tells you how close you are to dying.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.