next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » "Present" Anger

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Present" Anger
Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 04-15-2001 12:13 AM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rrr.

I thought I had it all figured out.

No Sonicboom or Dragon Rage in Little Cup, but what about Present?

So I try.

And fail.

Present appears to work with STAB, Att. and Def., and Resistance. Igglybuff used Present! Rhyhorn takes 1HP damage.

Fluff.

I try again on a Machop. About 6 HP damage, I forget.

Why doesn't it work? Wah. Somebody figure out what's happening here. It's supposed to be set damage.

------------------
*Do DO do DO Do DO do* I'm Prozac the Bear!

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 04-15-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Set damage? My understanding of it was that it had a random base power of 40, 80, or 120.. or it'd heal 80 hp for them...

------------------
"I had to just stop and laugh at myself, still nobody knows my name, nobody knows my name."
-Vertical Horizon

From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 04-15-2001 12:24 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Either damages the opponent with 40 (a 40% chance), 80 (a 30% chance), or 120 (a 10% chance) base damage or heals 1/4 of the opponent's Max HP (a 20% chance)

It's BD that's random. It's not set damage, heh, it's not even set healing power (well, a set % of HP)...

------------------
"Obviously these guys predict the apocalypse with bubblegum wrappers." - Quetzalcoatl
"if you're an aussie, throw on an oddish or bellsprout and call it 'salad'" - spunman

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 04-15-2001 07:32 AM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's set BASE damage? Oh. No wonder. ^_^; How many times am I going to have to write in all of my guides the REAL effects of moves? Chaa. Is there an actual, ah, list of GS moves and everything they do online? Sick to death of having to rely on memory (HAH!) and my broken guides (Present deals 40, 80, or 120 damage or heals 80 HP of opponent randomly. Note lack of key word "base" and the 80 HP healing. And the percentiles.) Ah well...lucky I only got up two critters with the move. They will be Released today. ^_^ Along with the thirty-some Igglybuff and fifty-some Pichu I have. Wah. Now I have to beat Little Cup R-2 fairly.

------------------
*Do DO do DO Do DO do* I'm Prozac the Bear!

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-15-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it just so happens present was next on my list to check out, but i'm baffled with my results. the percentages seem fine, but my base damage comes out way off. in three trials with six different pokémon i get base damages of 10% what present should be doing: 4, 8, and 12. has anyone actually used present before and calculated the base damage they got?

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 04-15-2001 03:30 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damage calculation is different when using Present:

http://www.poccil.f2s.com/games/gs/guides/explanations.html#present

quote:

Present

When Present does damage to the opponent, three values are substituted in the Damage Formula:

Attacker's Attack --> X (see below)
Defender's Defense -->Attribute Number of your Pokemon's secondary type
Attacker's level -->Attribute Number of opposing Pokemon's secondary type

When you must divide by 0, substitute with 1.

In determining X:
- X becomes 5 when the two types have half effectiveness: "It's not very effective..."; otherwise, X becomes 10.
- X becomes 2.5 when either or both Pokemon are of Rock or Steel type.

Attribute Numbers depend on the Pokémon's type:

Physical Type

Normal - 0
Fighting - 1
Flying - 2
Poison - 3
Ground - 4
Rock - 5
Bug - 7
Ghost - 8
Steel - 9

Special Type

Fire - 20
Water - 21
Grass - 22
Electric - 23
Psychic - 24
Ice - 25
Dragon - 26
Dark - 27

Use the Attribute Numbers of the Pokémon's secondary type. For instance, Charizard (Fire/Flying) has a secondary type of Flying. If a Pokemon doesn't have a secondary type, its primary type is used.
This bug has been corrected in Crystal and Pokémon Stadium 2.

Thus, a Normal type Pokemon using Present on a Dark type Pokemon would do the most damage.

------------------
Peter Occil, in charge of The Ultimate Pokemon Center
Check out my Gold/Silver Guides! http://www.poccil.f2s.com/games/gs/guides/

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-23-2001).]

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-15-2001 03:59 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
your link's not working again. thanks for the help, tho, the values are MUCH closer now. still, i'm doing a tad less damage than i should be every time.

------------------

Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 04-17-2001 02:18 AM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm... so a Blissey or WIgglytuff with Present ain't such a crack-pot idea after all. Wigglytuff's sissy attack doesn't even enter into the equasion.

Question: Is STAB, Super Effective, Not Very Effective, Immune still applied?

[This message has been edited by Moltres23 (edited 04-17-2001).]

poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 04-19-2001 03:46 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had to add this. The Present anomaly is only present in Gold/Silver, not in Crystal or Stadium 2.

------------------

[This message has been edited by poccil (edited 04-19-2001).]

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-23-2001 12:06 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
gah, this is killing me! poccil's information is partially correct. special types are definitely much higher than the physicals (blissey can nearly ohko a mewtwo!), but the number aren't right. all poccil's numbers work fine for a normal type vs. a normal type, but all other combinations aren't working.

has ANYONE seen any more information on this? this thing's got me more stuck than anything has yet...

some things i have found out, tho: for dual type pokémon, use the dual type, NOT the primary type. stab doesn't appear to apply, judging from the relationships between the damage done, but i'm still working on that bit. types definitely apply (including ghost's immunity).

------------------

poccil
Farting Nudist
Member # 1457

posted 04-23-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for poccil   Author's Homepage   Email poccil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've made an edit on the Present entry.

------------------

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2001 02:46 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a fun moveset, if I read this post correctly:

Wigglytuff (or similar Normal-type, e.g. Clefable)
Present
Submission
Rest
Sleep Talk/T-Wave

------------------
"Finish it off with False Swipe!" - Shingo

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 05-03-2001 08:13 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i've ironed out some bugs and redrafted/scrapped many notes (as necessary). since i now have all types working correctly when attacking normals, i think i'm zeroing in on the problem. the numbers don't match with any combination having a non-normal type as a defender. the biggest problem with trying to figure out the relationships is that the actual damage done is less than the expected value, and the difference appears to increase parabolically as the defender's "attribute number" moves further from zero. it's taking so long, tho...

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.