The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Hidden Power + Counter

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hidden Power + Counter
NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 04-07-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have made an interesting discovery, even though all of you guys may already know it.

I was playing Stadium 2, and my Zapdos was decking a Sandslash with a 65 Ice Hidden Power. What happens?

Sandslash counters it, and kills Zappy.

I was ticked. Apparently HP can be countered no matter what type it is because its base type is Normal.

Or maybe Stadium 2 just cheats -_-

I eventually lost that battle anyways.

You guys might have known about this already, but whatever.

*runs*

------------------
-NickWhiz1
The "Best Statistics Follower" of the CLST

NickWhiz1's Pokemon Domain, still the worst Pokemon site in existence XD

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-07-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I first found this out late '99. This is where definately Hidden Power's Normal type comes into play. So, yes, Counter always hits, and Mirror Coat always misses.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

incompetent
Farting Nudist
Member # 1635

posted 04-08-2001 12:46 PM      Profile for incompetent   Author's Homepage   Email incompetent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suppose this would mean rain dance would not strengthen water power, nor would sunny day weaken it. Just another reason to get water power on moltres right? I'm already dreaming about him water powering standard houndooms and that other fire bird. Then again, I probably should start dreaming of actually catching a moltres with such a power...

------------------
"Extensive testing has proven that he's the best leek-wielding ninja duck in the game, and I stand by that." -Versus Books on Farfetch'd

PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 04-08-2001 03:16 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does Metronome fall under this clause as well, since its type is also Normal?

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa
Kamek's Kastle

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 04-08-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Does Metronome fall under this clause as well, since its type is also Normal?

Nope,since that move actually calls up random moves and not just a type of move like HP,so you are actually using a Fire Blast or Surf and not just a fire or water type of move.

Interesting theory about HP. Maybe I'll test it later on,when I get the Doduo Gameboy for GS. (Damn team takes so long to make...)

------------------
[Sig deleted due to absurd length.]

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MegaScythe
I am resposible for Grease 2.
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
posted 04-10-2001 03:45 PM      Profile for MegaScythe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So if HPs base type is Normal, would a Normal type get stab from any type of HP? Thatd be pretty nice.

------------------
"I am happy, im feelin glad. I've got sunshine, in a bag.Im useless, but not for long, the future is comin on."-Gorillaz, "Clint Eastwood"

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 04-10-2001 07:38 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nah, it gets stab on the same type pokémon as the hidden power. it also gets item bonuses, works off the respective attack stat... i'm VERY surprised that counter would work with a special type hidden power. it's the only instance i've seen that take's hidden power's actual type into account.

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

# 1 Human Hater
Farting Nudist
Member # 674

Member Rated:
posted 04-13-2001 09:00 AM      Profile for # 1 Human Hater   Email # 1 Human Hater   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spunman:
it's the only instance i've seen that take's hidden power's actual type into account.

I believe it's also always clasified as a normal type move when used with Conversion 2.

------------------
The Allmightyy Fungi
God must have liked stupid people. Just look arround you.

From: South Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-13-2001 03:00 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the reason is this: counter just checks the byte that says what type the move is (the same one that displays the move), and if it is legal, counters it. In other words, all of the other things you are talking about are dealt with either in custom code for Hidden Power or in the damage formula, which obviously needs to be fed a different value than normal for hidden power, depending on how they chose to code it.

In order for it to be selectively uncounterable it would have to set a byte for "last move type", which is presumably not how counter works.

They still could have done it "correctly".

Anyway, chalk one up for counter and add a minor disadvantage to the very strong hidden power.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Does the phrase "Hotmail Session Ended" sound vulgar to either of you?"
-pkthunder

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.