The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Hidden Power...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hidden Power...
Shrimpy
Farting Nudist
Member # 1543

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2001 11:37 AM      Profile for Shrimpy   Author's Homepage   Email Shrimpy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if there was a maximum damage that a Hidden Power could do. I was doing some calculations this morning and it seems that my Tyranitar would have a Base 130 Dark HP. I'd never heard of anything that high (the highest I've heard of is Base 70). Here are the stats that I'm plugging into the formulas...

Attack DV: 15 (1111 in Binary)
Defense DV: 15 (1111)
Speed DV: 8 (1000)
Special DV: 6 (0110)

I've been following all the steps on this page ( http://www.tyais.com/pokemon/hiddenpower.htm ), but I wanted to double check before I put my HP Dark over Crunch. Thanks for any help.

------------------
Close the world, Open the nExt.

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2001 12:46 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shrimpy:
I was wondering if there was a maximum damage that a Hidden Power could do. I was doing some calculations this morning and it seems that my Tyranitar would have a Base 130 Dark HP. I'd never heard of anything that high (the highest I've heard of is Base 70). Here are the stats that I'm plugging into the formulas...

Attack DV: 15 (1111 in Binary)
Defense DV: 15 (1111)
Speed DV: 8 (1000)
Special DV: 6 (0110)

I've been following all the steps on this page ( http://www.tyais.com/pokemon/hiddenpower.htm ), but I wanted to double check before I put my HP Dark over Crunch. Thanks for any help.

A f/f/8/6 traslates to 1110 in binary, which is 14. Using Tyais' formula, (which is different than Darryn's on the spcl gene) you would have:

X=14
Y=2

([14*5+2]/2)+31=67 base power. The type would indeed be dark.

Darryn's and TPMs method of having Y=the special gene directly with a max of 3 only accounts for a maximum of a 1.5 point difference, and since pokemon always rounds down, it's really just +/- one point, which is largely insubstancial.

------------------
"The fact of the matter is, I'm fucking brilliant. Not was brilliant, am brilliant."-Pete Townsend

"M2 users hate everything and have small penises."-Wintermute

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2001 12:49 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's also been conclusively tested that no pokemon gets STAB for hidden powers of the same type as themselves.

------------------
"The fact of the matter is, I'm fucking brilliant. Not was brilliant, am brilliant."-Pete Townsend

Shrimpy
Farting Nudist
Member # 1543

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Shrimpy   Author's Homepage   Email Shrimpy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoops, apparently I read the the formula and did 15 * 15 instead of 15 * 5. Thanks for the help/clarification.

------------------
Close the world, Open the nExt.

sword
Farting Nudist
Member # 1587

Rate Member
posted 03-12-2001 07:50 PM      Profile for sword     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automaton:
It's also been conclusively tested that no pokemon gets STAB for hidden powers

if there's no STAB, then would items also have no effect?

------------------
"Pokemon is the Devil!" 9th grade English teacher

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 03-13-2001 07:51 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pink/Polkadot Bows do, but I don't think the rest do. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe this to have been tested on alt.games.nintendo.pokemon some time ago, and am quoting what was told to me about the subject.

------------------

aussiedude11
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1542

Rate Member
posted 03-15-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for aussiedude11     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Highest a Hidden Power can be is 70. Thats if you have 8 or above in all your stats.

------------------
"What do you do if you see an Arcanine rolling around in your backyard? Shoot it again!"

Sabregirl
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1611

Rate Member
posted 03-23-2001 12:00 AM      Profile for Sabregirl   Author's Homepage   Email Sabregirl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automaton:
It's also been conclusively tested that no pokemon gets STAB for hidden powers of the same type as themselves.

Uh I tested it and it definitely gets a STAB.

Here's what I did.

I had an eevee with base 70 electric power. I cloned it and turned one into a jolteon and one into a vaporeon. On should have a STAB the other shouldn't. Since vaporeon and jolteon have the same special attack the comparison is fair. Anyway I taught them both
hidden power and battled myself.
I pitted them against a level 47 houndoom they were at level 25 no exp.

Here's what the Vaporeon did over 4 turns in hit points

Here's what jolteon did

So you'll notice that jolteon's values are approximately 1.5X those of vaporeon's,indicating that there is a STAB.

It's also affected by Rain dance and Sunny Day. I haven't tested attached items but I'd imagine they affect hidden power as well.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2001 03:09 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also worth pointing out is that the page that this links to does a kind of weak job of telling you what's going on, using terms like
"NOTE: Bindary Digits and Binary Code are different! Digits are the 1s and 0s while the code is the mixture of those 1s and 0s."

As well as ignoring well defined terms like "Most signifigant bit" (the most signifigant bit is the leftmost bit, and it is named that because it carries the greatest weight, in the same way that in the decimal number 249, "2" is the most signifigant digit: if your attack is 1001 (binary for 9, greater than eight), your most signifigant bit is a 1. While the method gets you the right thing, it is written kind of wierd... not because it uses shortcuts, but because it makes up terms to describe those shortcuts that are already well defined.

Also he writes "actual number", which implies that a binary number is less of a number than a decimal one, which is patently false.

Maybe I'm just bitching too much, though...

------------------
-cfalcon

"DAMN those are some skinny sick cows"
-pkthunder sighting a field of horses

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 03-28-2001 03:52 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Spunman also did some tests:
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum1/HTML/000736.html

------------------
If there is true evil in this world, it lies in the heart of Mankind...
-Opening quote in Tales of Phantasia
Woohoo! The english patch is out for the rom! Get it at
http://www.zsnes.com/dejap
Even better! The voices are being translated! Go to http://www.zophar.net to find out about it!

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CharHolic
Farting Nudist
Member # 1079

Rate Member
posted 03-29-2001 08:33 PM      Profile for CharHolic   Email CharHolic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so does this mean that attaching an item such as charcoal "will" boost a fire hidden power? honestly i'm confused cuz of all the argument. i need to know for a fact if it does or doesn't.

------------------
kool tag-team...charizard plus typhlosion...burn burn!

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 03-30-2001 02:23 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes, sabergirl's got me the idea. she's pretty good about being right.

as for items, i assume if hidden power gets stab it'll also get item boosts, but i'll check it. (unless someone else wants to first?)

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 03-30-2001 11:55 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hidden power gets the item boost. i went through 10 link battles with 2 blisseys, and the one with the magnet did an average of 1.08 what the other did. this difference is well within the range of the random variable in the damage equation, but i scrubbed the damage for each attack and several of magnet blissey's were over the max by 3 hp.

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"use a slowpoke tail and pretend it's a dildo. i do it all the time!" - onix12
"poli!!! :@ whoo! a poli smiley... well, kinda..." - kerokato

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.