The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Thick Club: Dead-On Research

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thick Club: Dead-On Research
NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2001 07:49 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoosh. Here's some relevant research.

Test Subjects:

Level 100 Marowak
*231 Attack
*Thick Bone attached
*Curse, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Screech

Level 100 Mewtwo (my little brother's ^_^)
*368 HP, 245 Defense
*nothing attached
*Seismic Toss, Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, Recover

THE TEST:

This took 3 battles to do, so faheeh.

NOTE: I let Mewtwo Recover off the damage each turn. At each level except 6 Curses, I used 2 Rock Slides.

NOTE2: The ranges are minimum and maximum possible damages calculated using the G/S damage formula found in KarmaCharmeleon's G/S Movelist at Pokemon Daily.

I first used Marowak's Rock Slide against the Mewtwo without using any Curses. They did 107 and 110 damage. The range of damage at this point (462 Attack) is 102-120.

Next, I used one Curse, then Rock Slided M2 again. They did 166 and 159 damage. The range here (693 Attack) is 153-180.

Adding on another Curse (this makes 2), I continued. They did 217 and 206 damage. This range (924 Attack) is 203-229.

Slapping on a third Curse, I proceeded. This time, they did 33 and 35 damage. What happened? His Attack (1155) surpassed the "Thick Bone stat cap" of 1024. So, it subtracted 1024, giving an Attack of 131. The range is 33-35.

Up to 4 Curses. You know the drill. Did 87 and 88 damage. Range (1386-1024=362 damage) is 80-95.

5 Curses. Did 140 and 140 (yup, identical) damage. Range (1617-1024=593 damage) is 131-154.

6 Curses. At this point, I had enough info, so I only did one test at this level. Did 193 damage. Range (1848-1024=824 damage) is 182-213.

I suppose this is just more proof of the 1024 stat cap. Good day.

*runs*

------------------
-NickWhiz1: The Eternal NoA Hater
<StarCaliber> Weird how ET and NickWhiz are never on at the same time...
<StarCaliber> Yet both online a ton.
<StarCaliber> Very weird.
-StarCaliber, #PBSpkmn, 12/23/00
NickWhiz1's Pokemon Domain, the worst Pokemon site in existence XD

[This message has been edited by NickWhiz1 (edited 01-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by NickWhiz1 (edited 01-10-2001).]

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Muku
Farting Nudist
Member # 1052

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2001 07:55 PM      Profile for Muku   Email Muku   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Will the same thing go for Pi/Pika/Raichu's Light Ball? Even at max stats, will my Raichu's SpAt still double?

------------------
"When I see something screech across the room and latch onto someone's neck, and that person starts to scream, I have to laugh because...what IS that thing?"

"Muku; That's the most fucked up sig I've ever seen in my life."
~Automaton

jedi_DOJ
Farting Nudist
Member # 844

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2001 08:24 PM      Profile for jedi_DOJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think there is an error. Curse increases the original attack value, not the thick bone enhanced value of 462.

Try it now....

Actually, that means curse and sword dance/swagger affect a thick boned marowak differently

------------------

[This message has been edited by jedi_DOJ (edited 01-10-2001).]

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2001 09:13 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone think this is a new glitch??

http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum1/HTML/000277.html

Light Screen, Reflect, Thick Club, and Light Ball all have the same glitch. If the stat is 512 or above before getting doubled it goes past the "cap" that "Atma discovered" but it doesn't -1024; it gets logically ANDed by 1023. Legitimately this is the same but it isn't how the game works and that's what this forum is about...

TeamPA discovered this way before any one here even played found the Thick Club in a Japanese ROM or English Cart - I even translated and posted on it 6 months ago...

I had the theory about ANDing with 1023 9 months ago (http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum1/HTML/000076.html) and everyone thanks Atma that he "discovered" the glitch...

<sarcasm> I DISCOVERED AZURE HEIGHTS!! EVERYONE PRAISE ME BECAUSE I'M A GENIUS... F*** YOU - YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT I FOUND IT FIRST! I DON'T CARE IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND 3 YEARS BEFORE ME I'M THE ORIGINAL PERSON WHO DISCOVERED IT!! SCREW YOU IF YOU FIND PROOF THAT I'M NOT THE FIRST ONE I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE I HAVE AN EGO THE SIZE OF BILL GATES'S BANK ACCOUNT!! </sarcasm>
-Givera

------------------
"Fanha has helped me get better ... I have no life" --Nathan-Masters
"Me and Darryn are gay lovers" --Zack

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 01-10-2001 11:13 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reflect and Light Screen can't cap now. According to Darryn, (Karma Chameleon) in his intro to his Movelist on Pokedaily, they now halve the users Def/Spcl Def and quarter the opponent's Atk/Spcl Atk, thus functioning identically to the way they did in R/B/Y, without the cap.

------------------
"Well, Hiro, time to probe the bush. Let's get this party started."-Ronfar, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

The Mad DoctorX
Farting Nudist
Member # 1223

Member Rated:
posted 01-14-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for The Mad DoctorX   Email The Mad DoctorX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tested 7 times, Thickbone can raise Marowak's attack to a max of 516 not 512 which is 258 attack. If increased more than that it kaps off to origanel or lower attack.

------------------

The Mad DoctorX
Farting Nudist
Member # 1223

Member Rated:
posted 01-14-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for The Mad DoctorX   Email The Mad DoctorX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which one happens first if you use attack modifiers? Swordsdance or Thickclub?

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 01-15-2001 01:13 AM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automaton:
Reflect and Light Screen can't cap now. According to Darryn, (Karma Chameleon) in his intro to his Movelist on Pokedaily, they now halve the users Def/Spcl Def and quarter the opponent's Atk/Spcl Atk, thus functioning identically to the way they did in R/B/Y, without the cap.

WTF? Why would it halve yours and quarter theirs? Why not just halve theirs?
I remember hearing some where it halves their level?
-Givera

------------------
"Fanha has helped me get better ... I have no life" --Nathan-Masters
"Me and Darryn are gay lovers" --Zack

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 01-16-2001 11:17 PM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Givera:
WTF? Why would it halve yours and quarter theirs? Why not just halve theirs?
I remember hearing some where it halves their level?
-Givera

It does sound pretty out there, but it probably has something to do with some obscure, exploitable loophole that surfaced during the original playtesting process. Makes sense, anyways.

------------------
"Well, Hiro, time to probe the bush. Let's get this party started."-Ronfar, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 01-18-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To try to clarify what was already said:

ANDing with 1023 is basically saying "we ignore all bits past bit 9"... if you were to increase it to 2049, it would AND and get 1. You could view this as taking your number and taking 1024s out of it until it is less than 1024.

But ANDing it with 1023 = 00000011 11111111 is technically what the game does.

------------------
-cfalcon

"THIS IS NO GAME. MY ASS IS ON THE LINE!"
-Samurai Goroh, reminding the readers of the Super Famicom F-Zero instruction book that Japanese games are cooler than American ones

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.