The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » A question about Thief

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about Thief
Flareon
Farting Nudist
Member # 299

Member Rated:
posted 01-02-2001 01:19 AM      Profile for Flareon   Email Flareon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used my Metal Coat on a Scizor without duping it, so I need another one for a Steelix. So before I spend hours trying to steal from Magnemites: Does Thief always steal the item if the Pokémon happens to have one, or does it sometimes fail to steal even if the victim has an item? I know the user can't steal an item if it already has one attached.

------------------
Insanity is the spice of life.

From: Yokosuka, Japan | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 01-02-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, if Thief hits, it does automatically steal any item held by the enemy pokemon. So you only need to use Thief once--after that, use other moves, 'cause Thief only has 10 PP.

But, the pokemon using Thief cannot be carrying an item, because in the event of a successful theft, the robber will be holding the item in question.

The route immediately west of Ecruteak is the best place for hunting Magnemites. It also features Farfetch'd and Miltanks, both of which carry items. Miltanks in fact carry MooMoo Milk 25% of the time, so that'll probably be the first item you manage to get with Thief.

Only 1.5% of Magnemites have a Metal Coat. So you'll probably have to kill somewhere between 30 and 60 of them before you find what you want. Advice: turn off the combat graphics, this speeds things up considerably.

------------------
This is not a signature.

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 01-03-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*mumbles something about how many people have this false information*

There's an 8% chance of Magnemite having the item, not 1% or 1.x%.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Flareon
Farting Nudist
Member # 299

Member Rated:
posted 01-04-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for Flareon   Email Flareon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. First Magnemite I attacked after reading this had a Metal Coat.

------------------
Insanity is the spice of life.

From: Yokosuka, Japan | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thom Burr
Farting Nudist
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
posted 01-04-2001 01:54 AM      Profile for Thom Burr   Email Thom Burr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meowth346:
*mumbles something about how many people have this false information*

There's an 8% chance of Magnemite having the item, not 1% or 1.x%.

--Meowth346

...And thanks for all the 100% perfectly-dead-accurate-never wrong-always-right-on-target info on the virus.

That said, I was wondering about the percentages on Magnemite, as I nailed my first Metal Coat after only 25 Thefts. I nailed a second after another 25, after which I quit. The percentages quoted to me seemed off, but I chalked it up to a quirk of probability. 50 isn't a very large sample size.

However, if the percentage were 8%, Thiefing 50 Magnemites would, on average, produce 4 Metal Coats--and my sample only rendered half of that. So: should I consider this an unlucky quirk, or should I question your percentages?

Where did you get your number?

------------------
This is not a signature.

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 01-09-2001 01:51 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thom Burr:
So: should I consider this an unlucky quirk, or should I question your percentages?

No, you should try to make your own fucking web page before you crap on his.

------------------
"I don't pretend to have all of life's answers, but I do pretend to be a spaceman."
-Jack Handley

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.