The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Let's get this straight...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's get this straight...
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-18-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I made anything wrong, correct me.

Here's how breeding compatiblilty goes:

There are three breeding compatibility assumptions:

1)All breedable Pokémon are breedable with Ditto, but you cannot breed two Dittos.
2)Pokémon breedablity, with the exception of the NidoranF series and any Pokémon that has a pre-evolved version, as well as the Togepi series, are across the series.
3)A breedable Pokémon can breed with its fellow species members and its series members, as well as any group members. These groups are designated based on common breeding compatibility: for example, since whatever Bulbasaur can breed with, Chikorita breeds with as well, and they can breed with each other, Bulbasaur and Chikorita are grouped together.

The groups are arbitrarily designated as follows (ignoring Pokémon that don't breed as well as Pokémon that can only be bred with Ditto):

Group A:Rattata, Sandshrew, Vulpix, Diglett, Meowth, Mankey, Growlithe, Ponyta, Tauros, Eevee, Cyandaquil, Sentret, Aipom, Girafarig, Dunsparce, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Swinub, Houndour, Phanpy, Stantler, Smeargle, and Miltank.

Group B:Caterpie, Weedle, Venonat, Scyther, Pinsir, Ledyba, Spinarak, Yanma, Pineco, Gligar, Shuckle, and Heracross.

Group C:Abra, Machop, Drowzee, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mimie, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, and Hitmontop.

Group D:Squirtle, Slowpoke, Lapras, and Totodile.

Group E:Pidgey, Spearow, Zubat, Doduo, Aerodactyl, Hoothoot, Natu, Murkrow, and Skarmory.

Group F:Oddish, Bellsprout, Exeggcute, Tangela, and Sunkern.

Group G:Psyduck, Seel, Wooper, and Delibird.

Group H:Grimer, Gastly, Koffing, Misdreavus, Wobbuffet, and Slugma.

Group I:Bulbasaur and Chikorita.

Group J:Pikachu and Snubbull.

Group K:NidoranF, NidoranM, Rhyhorn, and Mareep.

Group L:Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Chansey.

Group M:Poliwag and Mantine.

Group N:Tentacool and Krabby.

Group O:Geodude, Onix, and Sudowoodo.

Group P:Goldeen, Chinchou, and Qwilfish.

Group Q:Omanyte, Kabuto, and Corsola.

Group R:Snorlax and Larvitar.

Group S:Cubone, Lickitung, and Kangaskhan.

Group T:Horsea and Dratini.

Not in any group:Charmander, Ekans, Paras, Farfetch'd, Shellder, Magikarp, Togetic, Marill, Hoppip, and Remoraid.

Given the above, we can now make the breeding compatibility statements:

Group A members can breed with Groups J, K, G, as well as Ekans and Farfetch'd.

Group B members can breed with Paras.

Group C members cannot breed outside their group.

Group D members can breed with Groups I, K, G, M, S, T, Q, R, as well as Charmander, Marill, and Remoraid.

Group E members can breed with Farfetch'd and Togetic.

Group F members can breed with Group I as well as Paras and Hoppip.

Group G members can breed with Groups D, A, J, K, M, T, Q, as well as Ekans, Farfetch'd, Marill, and Remoraid.

Group H members cannot breed outside their group.

Group I members can breed with Groups D, K, F, S, R, as well as Charmander, Paras, and Hoppip.

Group J members can breed with Groups A, K, L, G, as well as Ekans, Farfetch'd, Togetic, Marill, and Hoppip.

Group K members can breed with Groups I, D, A, J, G, S, R, as well as Charmander, Ekans, and Farfetch'd.

Group L members can breed with Group J as well as Togetic, Marill, and Hoppip.

Group M members can breed with Groups D, G, T, Q, as well as Marill and Remoraid.

Group N members can breed with Group Q and Shellder.

Group O members cannot breed outside their group.

Group P members can breed with Magikarp and Remoraid.

Group Q members can breed with Groups D, G, M, N, T, as well as Shellder, Marill, and Remoraid.

Group R members can breed with Groups I, D, K, S, as well as Charmander.

Group S members can breed with Groups I, D, K, R, as well as Charmander.

Group T members can breed with Groups D, G, M, Q, and Charmander, Ekans, Magikarp, and Marill.

Charmander can breed with Groups I, D, K, S, T, R, as well as Ekans and Magikarp.

Ekans can breed with Groups A, J, K, T, as well as Charmander and Magikarp.

Paras can breed with Groups I, B, F, as well as Hoppip.

Farfetch'd can breed with Groups E, A, J, K, G, as well as Ekans and Togetic.

Shellder can breed with Groups N and Q.

Magikarp can breed with Groups T, P, as well as Charmander, Ekans, and Remoraid.

Togetic can breed with Groups E, J, L, as well as Farfetch'd, Marill and Hoppip.

Marill can breed with Groups D, J, L, G, M, T, Q, as well as Togetic, Hoppip, and Remoraid.

Hoppip can breed with Groups I, J, K, L, F, as well as Paras, Togetic, and Marill.

Remoraid can breed with Groups D, G, M, T, P, Q, as well as Magikarp and Marill.

If anything above is false, please reply with whatever it is that is false.

------------------
Remember, lest we forget... today is rememberance day
kelv, November 11, 2000

necrosaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1056

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for necrosaro   Author's Homepage   Email necrosaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dude, you really make it much more complicated than it needs to be.
Each Pokemon type has 1 breeding compatibility byte, that is split up into 2 4-bit nybbles (is that the right word?) - that is, F and B in 0xFB. If either the first nybble or the second nybble match up with the desired pokemon's first or second nybble (first with first or second with second), the pokemon are compatible, Ditto being a wild-card exception. Nothing else really needs to be known besides the bytes for each pokemon, and things are just fleshed out from there.

------------------

Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2000 09:13 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelv:
If I made anything wrong, correct me.

Here's how breeding compatiblilty goes:

There are three breeding compatibility assumptions:

1)All breedable Pokémon are breedable with Ditto, but you cannot breed two Dittos.

Two Dittos can breed.

------------------

Brayze
Farting Nudist
Member # 1286

Member Rated:
posted 12-18-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Brayze     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, two dittos cannot breed.

------------------

From: Lunar Palace ver. 3.1 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-18-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's either nibble or word... I know that one is two bytes and the other is four bits...

BTW, necrosaro, do you have a list with ALL the Pokémon? I checked and perhaps it's my browser, but it only goes up to Sentret.

------------------
kelv, November 11, 2000

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 12-19-2000 02:28 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kelv:
It's either nibble or word... I know that one is two bytes and the other is four bits...

BTW, necrosaro, do you have a list with ALL the Pokémon? I checked and perhaps it's my browser, but it only goes up to Sentret.

His list is complete.
Maybe your computer sucks.

------------------
Keep the stupidity in Karp Park.

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 12-19-2000 03:43 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"word" is correct. but "nybble" sounds so cool, i say screw it.

i shall never refer to any word of less than 8 bits as a word again... *inspiring music*

<edit>
something that's actually pertinent:
the two fields (re: necrosaro's post) are NOT interchangeable? so, for example, a AB could breed with AD or DB, but not with DA or BD? (did anyone unnerstand?)
</edit>

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
www.myplanet.net/weaselgrip/spunman

[This message has been edited by spunman (edited 12-19-2000).]

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-19-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a thought... why is it called a word if it can be represented by a single hex digit?

------------------
kelv, November 11, 2000

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 12-19-2000 07:42 PM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a bit is a 1 or 0, on or off.
a word is a group of bits.
a byte is 8 bits (sometimes 7 or 9).
technically, a byte is a word.

a byte CAN be represented by two hex digits, but hex isn't really related, it's just a numbering system with a 16 base instead of 10 (which is the regular numbers we use every day). binary, octal, and hexadecimal are usually used to make words make more sense, since looking at a string of 1s and 0s makes people a little dizzy. hex is most convenient because any byte can be represented by two hex digits. hex is especially cool because you can count to "defac8"!

hex isn't necessary, tho. i work on systems that use 3-bit words instead of 8, so everything's in octal.

prob'ly more than you were asking, sorry.

and does anyone have an answer to my previous post? this is an annoying question (in my opinion) but i'm dyin' to know.

------------------

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 12-20-2000 05:18 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the two fields (re: necrosaro's post) are NOT interchangeable? so, for example, a AB could breed with AD or DB, but not with DA or BD? (did anyone unnerstand?)

The Slowpoke series has the breeding numbers 1, 2.
The Horsea series has the breeding numbers 2, E.
Meowth346's compatibility chart says that Slowpoke and Horsea are compatible.

Therefore, if Meowth346 is right, Pokemon with matching numbers in opposite columns can breed. Can someone test this to confirm it?

------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
-- Red Green

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-20-2000 10:07 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's on my list... but I have to actually get out my Slowking and Kingdra to test it...

------------------
kelv, November 11, 2000

necrosaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1056

Member Rated:
posted 12-22-2000 10:59 PM      Profile for necrosaro   Author's Homepage   Email necrosaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
apparently slowpoke and horsea can breed. therefore they ARE interchangable.
This is news to me, i was always under the impression that the order was exclusive. however it appears that it's not.

------------------

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-22-2000 11:12 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So tell me about breeding Geodude (AA) with Magnemite (AA)... the baby would be...

a) Geodude
b) Magnemite

------
If b, the DVs of the baby would come from...

a) Geodude
b) Magnemite

------
and finally, if the first question was a, you would give...

a) Geodude
b) Magnemite

to the old man.

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 12-23-2000 01:05 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hallelujah! that answer makes my job sooo much easier... i love this place

and kelv, what's the question exactly?

------------------

kelv
Farting Nudist
Member # 843

posted 12-24-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for kelv   Email kelv   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoops... bad example... let's try another one, shall we?

Breeding Magnemite and Porygon, both with the breeding bytes AA. Both are genderless Pokémon. The question is...

What species would the baby be if these two bred? Would it be:
a) Magnemite
b) Porygon

Which of the two would you give to the old man at the Daycare?
a) Magnemite
b) Porygon

Finally, which parent will the baby's genes be derived from, since the baby will be genderless? Would it be...
a) Magnemite
b) Porygon

------------------
kelv, November 11, 2000

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.