next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Fortune Telling

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fortune Telling
Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 473

Member Rated:
posted 10-30-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Annon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Questions/comments about the move “Fortune Telling”:

Observation: Fortune Telling does not do “super effective” or “ineffective” damage. It ignores type. (Tested on Jynx and Golbat).

Question: Since Fortune Telling ignores type when it damages an opponent, do you still get STAB when a Psychic-type uses it?

Observation: When you switch to another Pokémon after using Fortune Telling, it does damage equal to the original Pokémon’s Special Attack. (Tested by switching from level 38 Alakazam to level 10 Pidgey).

Question: I noticed that Fortune Telling would fail a lot more often when my Alakzam was confused/paralyzed. Most moves fail to hit during the turn you use them (“Pidgey used Peck, the attack missed!”). Since Fortune Telling takes multiple turns to activate, does it wait until the turn it actually hits, before factoring in paralyze/confusion effects? Or does it fail the turn you use the move (“Alakazam foresaw an attack”)? Furthermore, if I switch to a non-paralyzed/confused Pokémon the turn Fortune Telling should hit, will the accuracy of Fortune Telling still be based off the original users status? Or does it only matter what the status is of your current Pokémon?

Observation: Fortune Telling appeared to do a set amount of damage when striking Golbat and Jynx, especially since it ignored type. (This is a rough observation. Probably not accurate.)

Question: Does this move do a calculated amount of damage? Does the game merely factor in Alakazam’s Special Attack/type and a base damage of 80 (basically ignoring the defensive stats of the opponent, like it ignores the opponents type)? I suppose the only way to test this is to attack two Pokémon with equal stats except Special Defense. The Pokémon with a lower Special Defense should loose more Hit Points if this isn’t a calculated attack.

Comments: You can only use Fortune Telling once at a time. If you attempt to use another Fortune Telling before the first one attacks, it will always fail.

This move is great for stopping Recovery users. It usually does about 130 damage on Alakazam, which can be combined with another attack for at least 250 damage on a single turn! Since it ignores type, you could use Fortune Telling, switch to a Thunderbolt users and kill a Starmie in one turn.

Thanks for checking out this post. Responses are appreciated!
-Greg

------------------

Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2000 10:54 AM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think it exactly ignores type, it just doesn't acknowledge it.

I beleive the effectiveness is based upon whom the move is "Forseen" against. Try "Forseeing" against a Dark type and see if it hits. If so, then it definately ignores type. If not, try "Forseeing" against the Dark type and then have the opponent switch to, say, a Fighting type. If the move still doesn't hit, it factors effectiveness based upon whom the attack is Forseen.

I will be testing Future Sight to determine exactly what this crazy move does. Anyone who has other information to contribute would be most welcome.

Lugia -The Flying Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 1044

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2000 05:19 PM      Profile for Lugia -The Flying Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Lugia -The Flying Fish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Future Sight can hit Dark pokemon...according to TeamPA's website...

Thats all I know about Future Sight attack...

------------------
Comparing Pokemon to GayBZ should be a crime punishable by death. -StarCaliber
AIM: LugiaTheFlyNFish

From: Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lugia -The Flying Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 1044

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2000 05:21 PM      Profile for Lugia -The Flying Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Lugia -The Flying Fish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More info from TeamPA...
quote:

Damage is done after three turns, but these turns are not wasted - you may still attack in them. Damage done from this move is based off of the Special Attack of the Pokémon who initiates the move and remains in effect even if the Pokémon switches. Also, even though a Psychic attack, able to affect Dark Pokémon.

From: Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 473

Member Rated:
posted 11-01-2000 09:45 PM      Profile for Annon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not trying to mean.

But you guys have just told me stuff I already know. Please answer the three questions I asked...

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.