The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Poliwrath and Lock-on

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poliwrath and Lock-on
Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-20-2000 06:14 PM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

okay, i just got done with the cianwood gym, and chuck uses a poliwrath. now, i KNOW he used lock-on on me, but i've searched and searched, and i can't see anywhere that shows poliwrath even learns it. i know he can learn mind reader at level 51, but not lock-on. is chuck just special, or can poliwrath learn lock-on? i'm going to send a poliwhirl with fissure over to silver so it can learn that combo. one hit win every stinkin' time.

-night

------------------
You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland, and I show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Marril
Farting Nudist
Member # 51

Member Rated:
posted 10-20-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Marril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Locked-On 1HKO doesn't work in G/S.

Anyway, Chuck using Lock-On with Poliwrath... if Lance can use Barrier with Dragonite...

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
--Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words,
Star Wars: The Last Command

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 10-20-2000 06:33 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chuck's Poliwrath does not have Lock-on that I know of, because I saw Mind Reader.

------------------
I AM A GOLDEN GOD!

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-20-2000 11:07 PM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is Mind Reader that his Poliwrath is using. The two moves do pretty much the same thing.

As for what Marril said about Mind Reader/Lock-on not working for 1-hit KOs, they do. How else do you explain my Poliwrath hitting 10 successful Fissures out of 10 tries. Luck?

------------------

From: Florissant, MO USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 01:47 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lock on and 1HKOs work, but if the opponent switches, the effect is negated. That's why it doesn't work.

------------------
No matter how bad your life may seem, you can just take one look at me and feel 100% better.
... That, or you'll turn to stone, I don't know...

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 06:33 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So put Whirlpool on there too, and it will.

------------------
"This is Canada speaking. Give us all your stuff, or we'll annihilate you."
-- Mike Bullard

Lugia -The Flying Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 1044

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 01:29 PM      Profile for Lugia -The Flying Fish   Author's Homepage   Email Lugia -The Flying Fish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

So put Whirlpool on there too, and it will.

Ya...a lot of people kept telling me that if they switch Pokemon, then it wouldn't work. So, I slapped on Whirlpool...and it did.

Its cheap, but effective. Now everyone who even SEES a Poliwrath will have to switch out. Or they ARE dead Poke-Meat.

------------------
You might know me as Mew or MrTallgeese.

*After fighting Bug Catcher near Pewter, after fainting THREE of his Beedrills.*
Bugcatcher: "It really stings when I take a bath."
Me: "I bet it does..."

Proud founder of Baton Touchers International.

[This message has been edited by Lugia -The Flying Fish (edited 10-21-2000).]

From: Pensacola, FL, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
NintendoMan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 721

Rate Member
posted 10-21-2000 05:35 PM      Profile for NintendoMan   Email NintendoMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what does whirlpool do? Sorry i am not used to the new attacks yet.

------------------
I am the Nintendo Chosen one!

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whirlpool is the Water type equal of Firespin.

------------------
No matter how bad your life may seem, you can just take one look at me and feel 100% better.
... That, or you'll turn to stone, I don't know...

PsyDork
Farting Nudist
Member # 717

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for PsyDork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It can also be used outside of battle to remove whirlpools that are blocking your way.

------------------
PsyDork's Signature Version 1.3

You may be a Cheese Whiz, but I'm a PSYCHIC Cheeze Whiz!

From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sad sad sad. Poli with Mind's Eye makes him useless without Fissure. It's sure to become a wide spread combo and my fave Poli made over sweated....

Scizor. Use Scizor against that Poli. As soon as he come's out, so do you. Now Dance. Dance like you've never Danced before. Then comes Mind Reader. Pass it on (I sure hope Baton Touch can get out of a Whirlpool). What do you pass it to? A Flyer.
Oh, now you may say, my Poli has Blizzard/IceBeam on it. It can take out that flyer. Not if he's faster than Poli, which knowing how fast Nyorobon is, the flyer almost certainly is. Now use that SD'ed Flyer with a pimptastic flying attack against that little tadpole.
We are talking G/S here. Nothing is sacred.
NOTHING

(unless of course BPass can't get out of a 'Pool; in that case, we are all screwed)

------------------
Reality's End
"Oh, pardon me, Santos L. Halper, if that is your real name, Bart Simpson, but your phoney charge card is not good here. Now make like my pants, and split!" - Comic Book Guy from the Android's Dungeon

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Datax
Farting Nudist
Member # 1064

Rate Member
posted 10-21-2000 10:40 PM      Profile for Datax   Email Datax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KeroKato:
Scizor. Use Scizor against that Poli. As soon as he come's out, so do you. Now Dance. Dance like you've never Danced before. Then comes Mind Reader. Pass it on (I sure hope Baton Touch can get out of a Whirlpool). What do you pass it to? A Flyer.
Oh, now you may say, my Poli has Blizzard/IceBeam on it. It can take out that flyer. Not if he's faster than Poli, which knowing how fast Nyorobon is, the flyer almost certainly is. Now use that SD'ed Flyer with a pimptastic flying attack against that little tadpole.
We are talking G/S here. Nothing is sacred.
NOTHING

(unless of course BPass can't get out of a 'Pool; in that case, we are all screwed)

Or, you could just switch to Articuno (normal damage vs. Ice, I believe) or Lugia (weak to ice but has stab with Psychic vs. Poliwripper's Fighting type).

Sort of a bummer that they didn't catch this abuse in testing.

-Datax

------------------

Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-21-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even though, if they come out at the same time, Scizor would only have time to SD once (or twice if Whirlpool is even used).

I personally am planning on putting the Quick Claw on him.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-21-2000 10:48 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I can still blow fucking Polywhatever to hell with Jolteon.

This isn't Mewtwo folks- this is just a good moveset on a formerly weak as nuts monster.

------------------
-cfalcon

FIREBREATHER DICK wants to battle!

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2000 05:35 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sure hope Baton Touch can get out of a Whirlpool

It can, although the new guy will still be trapped.

------------------
-- Mike Bullard

Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-22-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

okay, then, so the moveset should look like this:
mind read
fissure
whirlpool
ice beam/*fighting move*?
>>?

on the attatchment, i was thinking nevermelt ice if it gets ice beam, black belt if it gets a fighting move, or just quick claw so it would be faster.

what do you think?

-night

------------------
You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland, and I show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

[This message has been edited by Night (edited 10-22-2000).]

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2000 01:26 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The moveset is good. That is all. It is not unstoppable. The Poli is not a must on everybody's team since it still can fall. You can give your Poli other things besides Whirl/Mind/Fiss. I personally rather stick with fighting tactics rather than hoping the foe doesn't have a flier.

And even one or two SD's would be more than enough for someone to tear up a Poli with a couple of Drill Pecks.

------------------
Reality's End
"Oh, pardon me, Santos L. Halper, if that is your real name, Bart Simpson, but your phoney charge card is not good here. Now make like my pants, and split!" - Comic Book Guy from the Android's Dungeon

MuThaFaKo
Farting Nudist
Member # 907

Rate Member
posted 10-22-2000 09:23 PM      Profile for MuThaFaKo   Author's Homepage   Email MuThaFaKo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We need a name for this Moveset/Pokemon now..

Night mentioned the one-hit KO and mind reader part, and White Cat mentioned the whirlpool part..

WhiteNight...Nightwrath...Whitewrath..

I dunno, I just think it's cool to come up with names for Pokemon who use certain movesets..we all know that there's a big chance it's been thought up by someone else somewhere else unbeknownst of us..but still, until that person speaks up and has proof, WE originated and made that shit..am I right? So fuck it, I say it's ours to name and claim..or atleast the inventors of it I mean, heh

------------------
"Now who the f*ck is this muthaf*cka f*ckin with my muthaf*ckin money?!" - Big Baby Sweets

From: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Muku
Farting Nudist
Member # 1052

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Muku   Email Muku   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MuThaFaKo:

Night mentioned the one-hit KO and mind reader part, and White Cat mentioned the whirlpool part..

I dunno, I just think it's cool to come up with names for Pokemon who use certain movesets..we all know that there's a big chance it's been thought up by someone else somewhere else unbeknownst of us..but still, until that person speaks up and has proof, WE originated and made that shit..am I right? So fuck it, I say it's ours to name and claim..or atleast the inventors of it I mean, heh

How 'bout...The Mukuwrath!!
Joking! No, umm...The "God-I-Hope-He-Doesn't-Have-A-Flier-wrath" . A little longer than something like Tobybro.

But seriously, Fissurath? Poli's Eye? El Cheapo #2?
------------------
"I can still blow fucking Polywhatever to hell with Jolteon. This isn't Mewtwo folks- this is just a good moveset on a formerly weak as nuts monster."
-cfalcon on Poliwrath's Mind's Eye/Fissure Combo

[This message has been edited by Muku (edited 10-22-2000).]

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2000 10:28 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This would make Poli very dead to Fliers, but Dynamic Punch might work reasonably well for just about everything else. High power, guaranteed confusion, etc. etc.

------------------
Gundam Wing/Thundercats: WHAT'S THAT?!? Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight. I'm going to fight it. Thunder...thunder...Thundercats...(buster rifle to the head).

AIM: Nobie20

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2000 01:35 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The moveset is good. That is all. It is not unstoppable. The [Mewtwo] is not a must on everybody's team since it still can fall. You can give your [Mewtwo] other things besides [Substitute/Psychic/Recover]. I personally rather stick with [psychic] tactics rather than hoping the foe doesn't have a [bug].

And even one or two SD's would be more than enough for someone to tear up a [Mewtwo] with a couple of [Leech Lifes].

------------------
"I don't pretend to have all of life's answers, but I do pretend to be a spaceman."
-Jack Handley

Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-23-2000 05:44 PM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

i personally like the WhiteNight Poliwrath
*that way i don't take all the credit.. cuz i never would have thought of the whirlpool part*

oh, by the way, AMEN, MuTha.

-night

------------------

[This message has been edited by Night (edited 10-23-2000).]

Datax
Farting Nudist
Member # 1064

Rate Member
posted 10-23-2000 10:45 PM      Profile for Datax   Email Datax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I believe I can claim precedence here. I've referred to this fella as "Poliwripper" on multiple occaisions. And if you don't like it, well, you can just call it something else, then!

-Datax

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-24-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The idea of using Mind's Eye + Fissure is almost as old as the Death Starmie. I came up with the idea of using Whirlpool on my own, but have no idea if someone else did first.

As much as I'd like to have a moveset named after me, I think that "Poliripper" is a better name. ("Poliwripper" is too long.)

------------------
-- Mike Bullard

Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-24-2000 07:10 PM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
The idea of using Mind's Eye + Fissure is almost as old as the Death Starmie. I came up with the idea of using Whirlpool on my own, but have no idea if someone else did first.

As much as I'd like to have a moveset named after me, I think that "Poliripper" is a better name. ("Poliwripper" is too long.)

*sigh* and i so wanted my name on a set...
i concede we need a new name for it, but poliripper? i'm sorry, but that's... not.. good... *trying to be nice.* anyone have any suggestions?

-night

------------------

[This message has been edited by Night (edited 10-24-2000).]

Ravashack
Farting Nudist
Member # 128

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2000 06:42 AM      Profile for Ravashack     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um...Mind drop? Polismash? Polishake? (OK, so I'm horrible with names...)

------------------

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2000 10:52 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about Dan SEVERn? Poli looks like one of them ultimate Fighters, and Sever for the fissure and...

next try.

How about "KaDeath."
Everyone is suggesting Poli-something...then there's Poliripper...why not Riptide?

------------------
Gundam Wing/Thundercats: WHAT'S THAT?!? Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight. I'm going to fight it. Thunder...thunder...Thundercats...(buster rifle to the head).

AIM: Nobie20

Ravashack
Farting Nudist
Member # 128

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2000 11:25 PM      Profile for Ravashack     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crackhead? Crack for the Fissury crack, head, for the Mind reader?

Ok, that sounded strange...

------------------

Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-26-2000 08:36 AM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crack for Fissure.

How about "Poli wanna Cracker??"

------------------

Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 473

Member Rated:
posted 10-26-2000 05:19 PM      Profile for Annon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This "Poliripper" character has been around for quite a while. I'd check with Meowth/Darryn before anyone claims they've "invented it", since it's not very likely. Otherwise, the name is purely up to White Cat, who has chosen a fine name.

------------------

Datax
Farting Nudist
Member # 1064

Rate Member
posted 10-26-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Datax   Email Datax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annon:
This "Poliripper" character has been around for quite a while. I'd check with Meowth/Darryn before anyone claims they've "invented it", since it's not very likely. Otherwise, the name is purely up to White Cat, who has chosen a fine name.

It's just the name I am laying claim to, and whether or not it's been thought of before, I did invent it.

As to who the name is up to, it is not White Cat. It is up to everyone, based on what people start calling it. Toby wanted to name what is now the Tobybro "Humiliator," I believe, and you can see where that went.

Point: call it what you will, but it don't mean squat if it doesn't catch on.

-Datax (who can't picture it being actually called a "WhiteNight" but who could care less that Night thinks my "Poliwripper" suggestion is "not... good")

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 10-26-2000 10:37 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a quick side note: will anyone use this Poliwripper if they could just use a *shudders* Smeargle instead? We all know Poli had much better stats, but won't people opt for that extra attack to complete the combo? You know, where that IceBeam/*fighting attack*/Amnesia goes? People also seem to use Smeargle more for the HornDrill/Normal Flyer Hitting property that Poli lacks.
So which is or will be used more:
Fissuwrath or SmeargleDrill?

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell
The reason why I cannot tell
But this I know and know full well:
I do not like thee Doctor Fell

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 10-27-2000 05:08 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

A name? How about "Lame as hell"? Althoguh with the ten-letter limit it would have to lose the spaces to "LameAsHell"...

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-28-2000 02:58 AM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atma:
A name? How about "Lame as hell"? Althoguh with the ten-letter limit it would have to lose the spaces to "LameAsHell"...

it may be lame, but *insert poliwrath name here* will still rip your team apart..

-night

------------------

Mana Lugia
Farting Nudist
Member # 905

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2000 12:10 PM      Profile for Mana Lugia   Author's Homepage   Email Mana Lugia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless you have a team of legendary birds(the 5) and a mewtwo...

------------------
Visit my site!

Http://www.geocities.com/manalugia/home.html

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*sends out Raikou* *Thunders it*

All done!

------------------
I AM A GOLDEN GOD!

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Night
Farting Nudist
Member # 927

Rate Member
posted 10-28-2000 09:17 PM      Profile for Night     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mana Lugia:
Unless you have a team of legendary birds(the 5) and a mewtwo...

*i know this is just a hypothetical, and a real trainer, such as yourself, would never do such a sin* but any trainer that would do that deserves to have his game removed from his possession, and he/she needs to beaten with a big stick. while i laugh at him.

-night

------------------

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2000 04:48 AM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, one good flier or even a quick Grass Poke could take out Poli. And cannot Ho-oh learn Solar Beam (I've heard it; don't know if it's true)? As a Cheap-o, people will certainly use it to blast dat Poli.
So far, this is what my idea of Maelstrom G/Sified is going to be (practically the same as RBY):

-Submission/HiddenPower Fighting
-Surf
-Amnesia
-Rest

People act like stat-increasers are dead on non-Passing Pokemon. Well, when da passer dies, YOU IS SCREWED! I trust my raisers where they have always been, on the Pokemon. Okay, truth to tell, I don't really like any of the passers. I would use Girafarig, but pretty much only passes Amnesia, and my main Poli's got that already, so I don't mind much.
Anywho, Amnesia good; Poliwripper only useful against someone who hates fliers.

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell
The reason why I cannot tell
But this I know and know full well:
I do not like thee Doctor Fell

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 10-29-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My friend is a little obsessed with one Flying-type in particular...

He now has six Pidgeots, all of them with Fly, Swift, Mirror Move, and a specialty attack (e.g. Toxic, Steel Wing, Sky Attack, Hyper Beam). I think, at least. He makes me sick, too, him and his level balls and his 100+ Pokedex and his imported Charizard and Zapdos and Bright Powder...

------------------
"Normally, the earliest you can catch Mewtwo is 70. (Might be earlier on some carts)" - MewtwoSama, on Mewtwo's before-level-70 moves

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.