next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Awakening Power

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awakening Power
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 10-06-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How does it work?
I know that it transforms into an attack of certain power from certain element according to the genes of the pokémon butI don't understand what genes will produce what? Can anyone help me please?

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
][ Candy
Farting Nudist
Member # 214

Member Rated:
posted 10-08-2000 11:03 AM      Profile for ][ Candy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This attack does anywhere between 31 and 70 base power, and takes the form of any type except Normal. The formula that decides the power is ((X × 5 + Y) ÷ 2) + 31

Type = cdgh

X = aeim Y = mnop (maximum value is 3)

Attack= abcd
Defense= efgh
Speed= ijkl
Special= mnop

Value - Type
15 - Dark
14 - Dragon
13 - Ice
12 - Psychic
11 - Electric
10 - Grass
9 - Water
8 - Fire
7 - Steel
6 - Ghost
5 - Bug
4 - Rock
3 - Ground
2 - Poison
1 - Flying
0 - Fighting

All of this was taken from http://www.teampa.f2s.com/ I only have a vauge idea of how it works, so don't ask me to explain...

------------------
]['m good with my hands and eager to please. ;)

Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-09-2000 08:57 AM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to help you, I shall take a few minute to do an example.

Take a Pokemon with DVs:
Attack: 8
Defense: 10
Speed: 5
Special: 13

now if you were wondering how we get 8 = adcd, you must first change the DVs into binary code (you can use a Windows calculator to make it easy).

Attack = 1000 = abcd
Defense = 1010 = efgh
Speed = 0101 = ijkl
Special = 1101 = mnop

now, each letter a-p represents either a 0 or a 1. Now lets find the type:

type = cdgh = 0010 = 2 = POISON

Now we shall find the base power of the attack:

X = 1101 = 13
Y = 1101 = 13 but maximum is 3, so = 3

now lets plug it into the equation:

((13 x 5 + 3) / 2) + 31) = 65 base power

so, DVs of 8/10/5/13 will give you an Awakening Power equaling a 65 base power POISON attack.

------------------

From: Florissant, MO USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 10-09-2000 09:17 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*Math teacher didn't love him*
*has flashback*
*curls up and starts shaking*
Please, please Mrs. Riviera, don't hurt me, I'm really trying...OW! That hurt, please, please!
*cries*

=^D

LOL!

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 10-09-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you have a fire or water-type Awakening power, is it affected by Clear Skies and Pray For Rain?

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-10-2000 03:47 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Haven't tested it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't...

------------------
"This is Canada speaking. Give us all your stuff, or we'll annihilate you."
-- Mike Bullard

Tyranitar Titan
Farting Nudist
Member # 939

Rate Member
posted 10-10-2000 08:21 PM      Profile for Tyranitar Titan   Email Tyranitar Titan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robochu82:
Take a Pokemon with DVs:
Attack: 8
Defense: 10
Speed: 5
Special: 13

Where do you get the Deter Values? How can you tell what they are on each pokemon?

------------------
I might be able to breed the best pokemon in G/S.....

MACHAMP

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-10-2000 08:46 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could box it to the max at lvl 100 or 50 and work backwards through the formula.

------------------
"My Pikachu could kill your Tobybro. " moogleking, on how everything has strengths and weaknesses

"Of course, SOME people might have to rely on 100% accurate attacks because their Pokemon suck... " 3hat941, on how Thunder is better than Thunderbolt

"Another good one is sleep + poison." HurricaneOpal, on annoying combos in Pokemon

"Dumb, narrow minded Azurians!" boprob, on how useful Dig is

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 473

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2000 12:41 AM      Profile for Annon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm considering placing Awakening Power Psychic on a Pokémon. What are the highest possible DVs I can use to still get Psychic? If it's possible to subtract only from Attack that would be great.

I really attempted to read the post but it's almost Midnight here and I'm very tired.

I remember GolemKong showed me something similar to this for Dark:
15/15/15/15

What would that look like for Psychic? And once again, can you select which categories you wish to alter?

Thanks for the help,
-Greg

------------------

Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2000 01:57 AM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, backward-did stuff with my happy calculator.

Attack: 15
Defense: 12
Speed: 15
Special: 15

Makes a 70-Power Psychic attack. I would appreciate if someone double-checked. It's a touch late for doing math.

------------------
Oy.

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2000 12:56 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only Annon gets the move, right?

Or Unown, which is a decent translation...

Can someone else get it? Besides the sketching dog...

------------------
-cfalcon

Infinite copies of this message also available through type BIRD.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-11-2000 03:11 PM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Awakening Power (Secret Power) can be taught to most Pokemon by TM10 (which I believe can be bought in the Celadon Department Store).

------------------

][ Candy
Farting Nudist
Member # 214

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2000 09:38 PM      Profile for ][ Candy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A very enigmatic move. Once you figure it out (took me a while ) it's pretty cool.
Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-13-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the possibilities are pretty much endless. I myself plan on getting DVs so that I can get a 70 Power Grass attack on my Flareon to take care of Fire's three Weaknesses: Water, Ground, and Rock.

------------------

Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 10-19-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranitar Titan:
Where do you get the Deter Values? How can you tell what they are on each pokemon?

I'm wondering about that myself, actually

------------------
Life's a game:it's meant to be played.

Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-20-2000 11:09 AM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heres how I find them (note: this will only work right after you catch the Pokemon):

Get 50 or so Rare candies from some method (either Gameshark or Missingno). Then right after you catch the Pokemon, save the game . Then use the rare candies to get it up to L50 (note: do not save while feeding it RCs). Now go here --> http://skill-statfinder.virtualave.net/ssf/ and enter the Pokemon, its level, and its stats at L50. Dont for get to check that box that says (>50). After you click the Submit button, it will give you that Pokemon's DVs and its personal max stats. This will only work if you have never fought battles with this Pokemon, thus is why you must level it up with Rare candies. Just write down its DVs and restart your game and your set.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-20-2000 12:51 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The more I look at this move, the more I think it's going to end up being both tournament quality and broken.

Honestly, the whole point behind the move was that you get a "random" move, and that's obviously not even remotely close to the case. The only upside is the max power of 70. The serious downside is the way this screws with the sharkless gamers in tournament: it's *very* possible to keep catching monsters until you find one with a powerful attack in an element you need, but it isn't too likely. They'll never catch anyone on this, and it basically provides a "pick an element and take an attack in it" slot... that isn't horrible, but certain monsters are going to have this going for them in a sick way.

I don't have any exploits yet, but I think that the obvious use is going to be bad enough. It's unfortunate about the negative synergy between fighting and attack, though...

------------------
-cfalcon

FIREBREATHER DICK wants to battle!

Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
It's unfortunate about the negative synergy between fighting and attack, though...

------------------

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2000 01:46 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You need minimum Attack DV's to get Fighting, and Fighting techniques use Attack.

------------------
"I don't pretend to have all of life's answers, but I do pretend to be a spaceman."
-Jack Handley

Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2000 04:31 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
You need minimum Attack DV's to get Fighting, and Fighting techniques use Attack.

Got it

------------------

Pisces79
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 973

Rate Member
posted 10-23-2000 07:24 PM      Profile for Pisces79   Email Pisces79   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
has anyone discovered a brilliant use for this hidden power? so far, i've mentioned putting a ground type "hp" on gyarados. and i've also considered giving a fire type "hp" to grass pokemon who utilize sunny-beam combos to boost their hidden power move by 50%! grass type "hp" on fire pokemon can work in a similar way, just no boost from sunny day. bug type "hp" on ground pokemon like sandslash and especially marowak w/ his double attack can be pretty effective as well, don't u think? any other suggestions? holla back!

------------------

From: Ann Arbor, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2000 07:50 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basically if your monster was designed to be "narrow" (a lot of electrics, for instance) you can get around this.

With the exception of psychic, there were themes in the old game which were very balancing: for instance, electrics were bad against ground types. This isn't just enforced in the type charts: the ground type obviously negates all effects from the electric attacks. Most electric types have a highish special and a dick attack, while the ground types always had problems dealing with special attacks but had at least deceent defense (some out of types, like dugtrio, are the big exceptions, but that's about it).

Jolteon can't do much against Rhydon, period. Double Kick? That tickles. Electric attacks it doesn't even notice.

Give him a water type hidden power, however, and his narrowness goes away. Suddenly he has initiative (one of the reasons that electric has a "x0" opponent is because their speed is so great) over his classic foes and can blow them to hell with his eeveelution level special attack and a 2-4x effective attack (net strength 140-280!!!).

That's nuts.

If this move existed in R/B/Y my movesets would have all been different, let's say that now... A strength 70 bug attack would have made a world of difference in Mewtwo land, where a strength 140 physical attack would waste his psychic soul.

Basically take a monster who only has one or two real weaknesses. Now eliminate one of them. Maybe it doesn't have any now?

Toxic / Black Gaze / Confuse Ray / Screech / Moonlight / Faint Attack

are all moves I've seen proposed on Umbreon. They all tend to fall short versus steel types, whom you have to either confuse until they beat themselves up or hope that you can survive long enough to hit them with enough half effective evil attacks to break them.

Throw a fire type Hidden Power on him, however, and that whole genre of weaknesses is gone... now he knows a power 140 special attack, which isn't bad at all.

Basically I think we'll see some serious movesets built around this move: it'll be ideal backup.

I will continue to point out that it's dirt that you almost have to shark for it, for two reasons:

(1) Either you dont' get it without a shark at all, and lose in tournament...

-or-

(2) Those who get them legitimately get DQed at tourament for "obvious" cheating.

It just ain't right that you can't pick the type without the shark...

Not that it'll stop me from using it.

------------------
-cfalcon

FIREBREATHER DICK wants to battle!

Pisces79
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 973

Rate Member
posted 10-23-2000 08:36 PM      Profile for Pisces79   Email Pisces79   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
much props to cfalcon for the knowledge! yes, jolteon will be quite the beast now w/ the addition of a water type "hp". just think, w/ thuderbolt, t-wave, bite, hidden power (water)...he now has a type advantage over just about every popular type in the game! water, flying, ghost, psychic, ground, rock, and especially fire...he's got all of their numbers! and w/ that kinda speed, u're right, that is nuts! that's why i love him though!
as far as the game shark is concerned, as i said in another thread, i have no remorse for using one being that i put in so much time on r/b/y trying to achieve what can be done in minutes w/ a shark! i really can't picture being disqualified at a tournament for this move, being that it's way more feasible than having a max stats team. yea, it's a shame that u have to shark as opposed to choosing, but the way i see it is, we shark everything else legitimately, so no remorse for this either. "it's all legal baby!" holla back!

------------------

From: Ann Arbor, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ravashack
Farting Nudist
Member # 128

Member Rated:
posted 10-27-2000 05:06 PM      Profile for Ravashack     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um...no. You seem to misunderstand--it's not that he will have a type advantage over others, but that Jolteon won't have a type disadvantage anymore thanks to Hidden Power (water).

------------------

Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 10-27-2000 05:20 PM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:

Basically I think we'll see some serious movesets built around this move: it'll be ideal backup.

I'm waaaay ahead of you...
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum5/HTML/001961.html

------------------
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
GreyCloak
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1036

Rate Member
posted 11-15-2000 05:20 PM      Profile for GreyCloak   Email GreyCloak   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be fixing the formatting problems on the S/SF with the personal max stats when I implement the TM lists. That should be sometime this week.
Juice
Farting Nudist
Member # 968

Rate Member
posted 11-15-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel like such an outsider with this hidden power thing!It hurts my head every time I try to configure the move!I need a hidden power calculator that WORKS!This is driving me completely insane!

------------------
Y!Y for Yogurt!I hate Yogurt!
-Lord Helmet

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 11-15-2000 10:41 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say howdy to GreyCloak.

Nice to see you here!

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 11-17-2000 02:57 AM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not THAT hard to get a selected Hidden Power. It just requires a few ingredients...

1. A Masterball: You don't HAVE to use it, but it sure goes a lot quicker!

2. Rare Candies: If it's below 50 it's absolutely necessary... unless you like working the damage formula backwards. (If you don't like cheating, then buy yourself a Pikachu GS post haste!)

3. GreyCloak's wonderful StatFinder and some possible Printouts. Or you can rough it and make your own with a graphing calculator. I've done both. The first option is tons easier.

4. Lock yourself away from civilization for a week and a half. It takes a bleedin' long time!

After about 300 tries, I got the following Moltres...

I think that's about right. Whatever it was, the real one results in a base 69 Grass Power. (This takes 300 tries unless you are super lucky like someone I know who caught a 10,10,10,10 DV Moltres purdy quick. It's Shiney and I want it!)

After about 800 tries, I came up with several Electrodes. One of which nicely 3 way max in all the stats that mattered, another with a base 69 Ice Power.

It takes a LOT of determination, but it is possible... and one hell of a lot easier in Red and Blue than Gold and Silver.

Oh, and just so you know... Breeding your pokemon? Good Luck! Not one of my bred pokemon has resulted in a feasable Hidden Power and there's far too much time walking involved. It's much easier to catch or buy'n'clone.

------------------
No matter what you read or what you're told, experience will always yeild the truth.
-Moltres23

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.