The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Ice Beam or Blizzard...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice Beam or Blizzard...
Juice
Farting Nudist
Member # 968

Rate Member
posted 10-04-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't tell which one is better.For the beggining a person might think that Blizzard would be the superb choice considering the 120 pwr.But since it has about a 90% chance of hitting,then it will miss quite often.for Ice Beam though,it may not be as powerful as Blizzard ,but it has close to a 100% accuracy rating.Blizzard or the Ice Beam what do you think?

------------------

Yay Porygon
Farting Nudist
Member # 810

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for Yay Porygon   Author's Homepage   Email Yay Porygon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
90% is quite often a miss? I must have no grasp of the percentile system, I always thought it was 9 times out of 10 it would hit!

Edit: Whoops, didn't word it right. Now it is.

------------------
Oy.

[This message has been edited by Yay Porygon (edited 10-04-2000).]

From: Peregrine Island | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blizzard is the obvious choice. After all, it won't be your SOLE attack, will it? If you need a really accurate attack, choose something your Pokemon knows. Blizzard should be used over Ice Beam, for power and the higher chance of Freezing (if you can't decide between either one of them, and have a spare attack slot, you could also use both though).

------------------
"This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show. Rest assured, you fools. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination." - Sorceress Edea, Final Fantasy 8

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 08:02 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As long as you have some other 99.6% attack as a finisher when the opponent has just a few HP left, I'd say Blizzard.

See the discussion here: http://azureheights.com/attacks/comp/ice.htm

------------------
"If it's just a lull, why am I bored right out of my skull?"
- The Replacements

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blizzard does NOT have a higher chance of freezing. All damaging Ice Attacks, except Aurora Beam, have a 10% chance of freezing.

------------------
"Um, that's an awfully fast Slowbro to outpace my Mewtwo."
-DocMui, on GS use in his area

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blizzard, if you're going for all out attack. If you're have some defense, Blizzard.
And BTW, Blizzard's chance of hitting all 8 times you can use it is about 43%.
------------------
Beware the Evil Rabid Jigglypuff of Doom! http://www.pokebattles.com
Probability can be a real bitch, but the trick is to make it your bitch.

[This message has been edited by articool (edited 10-04-2000).]

From: Needham, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 10-04-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bliz's chance of Freezing equal to all other non-Aurora Ice attacks? I'm just going by personal experience.....of course, by my experience, ICE PUNCH freezes most.......

------------------
"This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show. Rest assured, you fools. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination." - Sorceress Edea, Final Fantasy 8

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-05-2000 04:22 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's what I posted in Oddish Hall...

Rules of Thumb:

- If the Pokemon doesn't have a recovery move, use Blizzard/Fire Blast.
- If the Pokemon does have a recovery move, use Ice Beam/Flamethrower.
- Always take Surf and Thunderbolt over Hydro Pump and Thunder, respectively, unless you have a specific strategy that requires the higher-damage moves.

------------------
"We both fell into a Vileplume's head."
-- Tracey

Dragonite21
Farting Nudist
Member # 475

posted 10-05-2000 02:41 PM      Profile for Dragonite21     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Here's what I posted in Oddish Hall...

[b]Rules of Thumb:

- If the Pokemon doesn't have a recovery move, use Blizzard/Fire Blast.
- If the Pokemon does have a recovery move, use Ice Beam/Flamethrower.
- Always take Surf and Thunderbolt over Hydro Pump and Thunder, respectively, unless you have a specific strategy that requires the higher-damage moves.

[/B]

Yep. Go with that and you'll be fine.

------------------
-Dragonite21

With Gold and Silver comes Imperial Wrath

KingZapdos
Farting Nudist
Member # 672

Rate Member
posted 10-06-2000 11:43 AM      Profile for KingZapdos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I almost always choose the more powerful one. The sole exception is Thunder vs. T-Bolt.

------------------

From: As if I'd tell you... | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnny Eagle
Farting Nudist
Member # 169

Member Rated:
posted 10-06-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for Johnny Eagle   Email Johnny Eagle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I prefer Blizzard

------------------
Life's a game:it's meant to be played.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-06-2000 01:20 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blizzard is my choice as well, in the general case.

Thankfully they toned it down in Gold and Silver (Ice should be less useful than Fire dammit! It's easy to be burned by fire!)

Ice Beam there, probably, although Ice is a much smaller hubaloo...

------------------
-cfalcon

Infinite copies of this message also available through type BIRD.

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
salvester2
Farting Nudist
Member # 199

Rate Member
posted 10-07-2000 01:44 PM      Profile for salvester2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It depends the pokemon you are talking about.

------------------

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 10-07-2000 01:46 PM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thankfully they toned it down in Gold and Silver (Ice should be less useful than Fire dammit! It's easy to be burned by fire!)

They didn't tone it down, they destroyed it. ~70% accuracy...>.< DAMN THEM!

------------------
I AM A GOLDEN GOD!

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
DragoniteJ
Farting Nudist
Member # 815

Member Rated:
posted 10-07-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for DragoniteJ   Author's Homepage   Email DragoniteJ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know. Ice is such a cool element. They should have made Blizzard 85% accuracy at the least. Actually, they should have left it alone since ice was toned down in other ways.

------------------
You may know me as Booster6th. Please visit my website at http://lanturn.cjb.net

][ Candy
Farting Nudist
Member # 214

Member Rated:
posted 10-08-2000 10:39 AM      Profile for ][ Candy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RBY: Blizzard
G&S: Ice Beam

In RBY blizzard's preformance is excellent. Now in G&S it stinks, so you'll have to go for the reliable but weaker ice beam.

------------------
]['m good with my hands and eager to please. ;)

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.